closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC quartz diver availability?

Craftsman

CWC quartz diver availability?

Just been on the Silvermans website looking for a standard stainless cased CWC quartz diver; they don't seem to have any listed, just the date and no-date automatics plus the black PVD SBS version. Does anyone know if the quartz no-date has been discontinued or is it just out of stock? I thought it was the current issue watch and would be around for a while yet. I'll give them a phone next week but just wondered if anyone here knew the story.

thanks
    grant

Re: CWC quartz diver availability?

last I heard they were getting some new stock end of september, I guess they are still waiting for them to come from switzerland...

Craftsman

Thanks, I'll hold off a while and see if they show up again on the web site

regards
    grant

I contacted them via their eBay store and asked about the quartz diver just before Christmas. They said they would be back in stock in a few weeks.

Blog Entries

Its been a few weeks and still nothing on the site, Are they still £250?

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    Its been a few weeks and still nothing on the site, Are they still £250?

Nope. Went up to £290 sometime last year.
    :cry:

I started looking for one in September. I finally gave up in December and got the SBS version. I've already had the auto and flipped it since this is a weekend watch that I didn't want to have to reset every weekend.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007
    I started looking for one in September. I finally gave up in December and got the SBS version. I've already had the auto and flipped it since this is a weekend watch that I didn't want to have to reset every weekend.

Since I made the initial post I've been checking the Silvermans site on a weekly basis and a couple of times I've come close to ordering up the SBS version. The only thing that's made me hold back is that I'm not a great fan of black PVD watches however yours looks almost grey in the photo which is much more appealing. Since its difficult to get to see one in the flesh how would you say the finish looks on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is white and 10 is black? My only other reference point is the finish on a Precista PRS 5 or a CWC G10 which I would say are a 5 and a 4 respectively.

thanks
    grant

Banned

i had the SBS version its OK somehow the 6 and 9 annoyed me
    in the end i swapped for the standard version without date
    its worn quite a lot now i like the slim design.

That first photo is showing some glare, the watch is actually quite dark, I'd give it an 8 on the scale. This photo is a bit closer to how it actually looks.

Craftsman

Thanks Saxon, it does indeed look 8/10 black in the second picture :( , glad I asked the question, looks like I'll just have to wait until the standard finish ones are back in stock, or until our host has some new quartz PRS3's in stock :) .

thanks
    grant

Given the news about Citizen getting the new contract might we have seen the last of the CWC quartz divers?

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    Given the news about Citizen getting the new contract might we have seen the last of the CWC quartz divers?
    Doubtful...there will always be a civilian demand.

If anything I'd imagine more will start to float around as the mod sells off current stock.

I'm liking the look of the SBS diver I'm hoovering over silvermans deciding between that or the quartz chronograph.

Journeyman

I emailed silvermans a couple of days ago regarding the quartz diver, and here is the reply:

"I have been qadvised theat the watches will not be available till towards the end of the year.

Regards

Sales"

Craftsman

There's one on ebay at the moment if you don't mind paying a premium. Described as new, but is old stock, and has had a battery change. Of course, that means it might not be so water resistant any more, and might have case tool marks on the back...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CWC-Divers-Wat...item20b7ffd0d6
    (no affiliation)

just put mine on sales corner, if anyone is interested.... [now sold]

i was in their shop today, Richard is saying November...

The quartz diver has been out of stock for some time now. The G10 and GS2000 is also out of stock.

Was hoping on getting a CWC diver too & seems they're taking ages to re-stock. I heard that it will be a circle-L when they are released, no more circle-T.

The store site shows the SBS model being avaliable but not on ebay, does anyone know?

Thanks.

Realised last week that its back in stock, with a price increase.

:|

[edit: also just realised that its been exactly 1 year since my last post about this. :wink: ]

What a price increase !

Will for sure keep my 1997 issued one !

As for Rolex watches, the older tritium ones will get the beloved versus newest luminova dials...

;)

The quartz CWC RN issues watch is back in stock at silvermans for an eye watering £339!!!!!!!. :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Ive recently managed to acquire an issued sbs model and can confirm that it is the latest version and has super luminova thickly and evenly applied and NOT tritium, even thou the dial is marked with a circled T.
    I therefore assume that the sbs model if bought directly from silvermans would also be the same in having luminova and NOT a tritium dial.

Seeing that tritium paint on watch dials was phased out around the year 2000. Then im glad that my latest acquisition has a luminova dial, as surly any "new" watch sold now with a tritium painted dial (not the tritium vials from mb microtec) means that the dial must be at least 12 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

As for me, I'm very proud to own a tritium CWC RN, bought my fisrt CWC diver arround 2003 and now the tritium ones are going to the vintage colectors era...

Its a pricey watch at that level, for a plain jane quartz.

How much were they before the price rise?

I think they were £299

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I think they were £299
    Wasn't it less ?

225£ or 250£ ?

Craftsman
    I think the last ones were about £299.

There is also a new SBS quartz diver - the latest version has:

PVD instead of anodized finish (the crown still looks anodized to me though, I suspect that's a transitional thing). It looks more black, rather than graphite, and hopefully it is more hard wearing.

New lume on the dials. Its now green tritium instead of yellow. Much earlier ones were also green, but they had flat/rough paint, rather than the raised/smooth paint on these. They are also bright, suggesting that they have nice fresh tritium.

2012 issue date on the back, and no 'C' for civilian/Cabot version. Mine has a leading zero in the issue number - it looks like a 'C' could have been converted to 0.

From the date font, I'm pretty sure its still a ETA 955.122, rather than a Ronda. So, overall a nice improvement over the last version :)

SBS1 and SBS2

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post

There is also a new SBS quartz diver - the latest version has:

PVD instead of anodized finish (the crown still looks anodized to me though, I suspect that's a transitional thing). It looks more black, rather than graphite, and hopefully it is more hard wearing.

New lume on the dials. Its now green tritium instead of yellow. Much earlier ones were also green, but they had flat/rough paint, rather than the raised/smooth paint on these. They are also bright, suggesting that they have nice fresh tritium.
    I had the two lume version, the flat yellow one from 2004, and a newer from 2007 with raised green lume; in fact I prefer the older one as the flat tritium is more like what you can see on older divers such as Seamaster 300 or Rolex; the raised lumle is quiet strange to my eyes, but it is more efficient,

It appears to be the same thing with tritium G10, the newer also have the raised green lume as on my issued 2006 G10...

I did not noticed any difference in the black coating, but small differences with the bezel inserts.

As far as I compared, the newer one from 2007 has an harder bezel that does much more noise when turning it...

Here the "older" from 2004 :

SBS in action :

And SBS wrist shot :

Craftsman
    As far as I can tell, there are 3 versions of the SBS, please correct me if there is anything wrong..

1: Up to ~2005: Brevet case (stamped inside caseback) with flat crown guards, quiet bezel, and dust cover over movementl. Ionized (anodized?) case. Flat lume. Some were issued to SBS

2. 2007 - 2012: Pointy crown guards, no inner dust cover. Loud bezel from a different mechanism to the previous version, with a bit of play. Raised lume. Ionized case. None issued

3. 2012: Pointy crown guard case as #2, except PVD coated. Raised lume. None issued.

I think #3 has the best black coating, but otherwise #1 is the best :)

As far as I can tell, there are 3 versions of the SBS, please correct me if there is anything wrong..

1: Up to ~2005: Brevet case (stamped inside caseback) with flat crown guards, quiet bezel, and dust cover over movementl. Ionized (anodized?) case. Flat lume. Some were issued to SBS

2. 2007 - 2012: Pointy crown guards, no inner dust cover. Loud bezel from a different mechanism to the previous version, with a bit of play. Raised lume. Ionized case. None issued

3. 2012: Pointy crown guard case as #2, except PVD coated. Raised lume. None issued.

I think #3 has the best black coating, but otherwise #1 is the best :)

You are right,

never noticed the pointy / non pointy crown guards,

My 2004 SBS has the brevet inside the back and the non noisy bezel,

and yes, newer models (eg my 2007 one) do not have dust cover (meaning they are not protected against magnetic fields ?), and have a noisy bezel with play...

Here a picture of an issued on from 2001 :

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel View Post
    Just spoke to Silvermans, the latest batch of SBS Divers have a super luminova lumed dial, but they mistakingly still have the (T) for Tritium rather than (L) for Luminova which will be corrected in the future. They said all future watches will have luminova dials, and the lume is really bright. I will have one in a few days.

They also said they have a limited number of non SBS divers watches with matte finished cases rather than polished.
    Let us know when it lands.

The cock up on the dial may make it something of a collectors piece in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Let us know when it lands.

The cock up on the dial may make it something of a collectors piece in the future?
    It'll certainly be a rarity. I will post some photos when it arrives.

Here is my brand new 2012 manufactured SBS Diver with transitional luminova dial

Outside photo

It has a white tension ring surrounding the crystal

Inside photo, my iphone isn't very good at lume shots.

I am pleased to report that the lume is as bright as my Pulsar G10 and Omega, so they must be using the Super Luminova C3. It is sad that they no longer use Tritium but Luminova does have its advantages. It glows all night after being charged during the day, I was able to read the time at 4am this morning.

Last edited by AndySquirrel; 29th July 2012 at 08:03.

Craftsman
    I recall a couple of years ago they sold the sbs version in steel ie non pvd. I should've got one :(

How do people find these compared to the PRS-18?

I'm wanting a no nonsense quartz diver but wonder if this is worth the extra over a PRS-18

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    How do people find these compared to the PRS-18?
    I'm wanting a no nonsense quartz diver but wonder if this is worth the extra over a PRS-18
    I've not had one but I do like the form factor of the CWC watch and have been seriously thinking about one - however the PRS-18Q covers so many of the same points and has the following advantages:

• AR coated sapphire crystal
    • 10 year battery life
    • High anti-magnetic properties (a mute point for quartz but still nice to have)
    • More flexible strap options given spring-bars and lug holes compared to fixed bars
    • Excellent bezel action

While I do like the sword hands and a day/date display can be useful, the SBS and RN CWC quartz do seem to be over-priced for what they are given a PRS-18 for £160 less would seem to offer far better VFM.
    Last edited by dkpw; 8th August 2012 at 10:37.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

What's the going rate for the SBS quartz?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    What's the going rate for the SBS quartz?

Cheers
    £349.00 for the SBS d/d quartz, £339 for the non-date quartz and £499 for the non-date auto. IMO knock £100 off each of those prices and that would be more like it.
    David

At £339 i'm struggling to justify it over the PRS-18

Love the look of the CWC and as you say if it was £239 I wouldn't be having this conversation.

Mind you if the PRS-18 had Smiths rather than the script Precista then that too would be in the watch box

That is a bit steep. Will keep an eye out on SC for one.

Craftsman
    Here is my brand new 2012 manufactured SBS Diver with transitional luminova dial

Outside photo

What serial number does yours have? I have a PVD SBS, and a no-date standard RN diver. Both are numbered 032 / 12. Must be a coincidence, I can't imagine all of the latest batch are numbered 032? :D

For anyone who is thinking of getting one, the standard no-date steel version has the new style case. It's sandblasted, not brushed and polished like the one from >10 years ago. Other differences are the new pointy crown guards, and welded strap bars with no gap for grime to get in between the bars/case. The rehaut is brushed instead of polished, and the dial is Luminova, although marked T like the SBS. The movement (ETA 955.122) still seems to have the day/date mechanism under the dial, as the quick set is still there and clicks.

No doubt that the PRS-18 is better value for money, with its sapphire crystal and lower price, but I bought this one for the fixed bars, and ETA movement. :)

For anyone who is thinking of getting one, the standard no-date steel version has the new style case. It's sandblasted, not brushed and polished like the one from >10 years ago. Other differences are the new pointy crown guards, and welded strap bars with no gap for grime to get in between the bars/case. The rehaut is brushed instead of polished, and the dial is Luminova, although marked T like the SBS. The movement (ETA 955.122) still seems to have the day/date mechanism under the dial, as the quick set is still there and clicks.
    Thanks for that info and the case changes from shiny to brushed were evident on Tribe125's purchase as seen in a recent Friday thread.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?228134-Friday-)&p=2375729&viewfull=1#post2375729
    David

What serial number does yours have? I have a PVD SBS, and a no-date standard RN diver. Both are numbered 032 / 12. Must be a coincidence, I can't imagine all of the latest batch are numbered 032? :D
    It's not 32. What you have is no. 32 of 2012 of both models, a coincidence indeed!

The matte finished cases won't be around for long, they will be going back to polished cases. I'm tempted to get one myself!

Craftsman
    It's not 32. What you have is no. 32 of 2012 of both models, a coincidence indeed!

The matte finished cases won't be around for long, they will be going back to polished cases. I'm tempted to get one myself!
    Very interesting to know, on both counts, thanks. I'm not sure if I prefer the polished or blasted finish, but it's nice to have what will be a quite rare watch :)