closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old, cool affordable cars. What are your favorites?

Old, cool affordable cars. What are your favorites?

Posted this to another forum too, but I thought I might share it here too...

I've been bitten by an "old car bug" lately and as soon as we get our new house, I'll get an old Porsche 911 or 928. Haven't decided yet.

But there are lots of affordable (but desirable) cars that I would just LOVE to own if I had enough space, money and time to maintain them. I haven't born in UK but elsewhere in the Europe, so I'm sure some of my favorites could be a bit different from yours.

We all know vintage watches are cool, so are the vintage cars.

Well let's start...

Ford Capri II/III 3.0S / 2.8i

This was my first car. It had Recaro interior and Essex 3.0 engine. It didn't produce a lot of HP but because the car was very light it was very fast (for the standards back then). Handling wasn't from a real sports car but fast enough to win 99% of the street races. :D Kinda European Mustang, really.

Opel Monza 3.0 GSE (you probably had a Vauxhall version)

This was a coupe-model of the Opel Senator. It was very, very rare. You were able to buy a BMW or Mercedes for the same price so it's only natural that Opel's expensive coupe wasn't very popular. Opels never had much prestige, but Monza was pretty good looking and massive, and because of its rarity it would be nice to have.

Audi Coupe MKI

This was the "poor man's quattro". For a casual observer it looked like quattro, although it was powered with just 2.0 liter 5-cylinder engine. Not a fast car but it had the looks. Genuine, original quattros are sick expensive in Europe right now, in the 30K range but you can buy these Coupes for about 2K.

Corvette 1985 - 1996

You can buy a nice old Corvette like this for about 5-7K now. What there is not to like? 5.7 liter V8, nice sounds, timeless design, etc. Lots of car for the money.

BMW 8-series

Definitely the coolest BMW ever made. Some design details from Italian sports cars and M1. A nice one can be bought for about 8K. Just imagine how expensive this car was when new, it cost like 120.000 Euros back then! I did a bit of research about this, and the maintenance costs aren't as bad as people think (if you find a good example). I will def. own one of these eventually.

BMW 6-series

Why doesn't BMW make cars like this anymore? This had all the "vintage BMW spirit". Old cars were much better looking. Not to say the new 6-series isn't cool, but I would respect an old 635 CSi driver a lot more. :)

BMW M 535i (E28)

I owned a E28 528i and I loved it. Loved it!!! M5 model of this is ultra-rare but there are a few nice M535's out there. E28 is def. my all-time favorite 5-klasse. Maybe it's nostalgia but I'd love to own one of these again.

Peugeot 504 Coupé

The coupe version is extremely rare car, designed by Pininfarina. Very pretty. It's probably not very "affordable" though (because of its rarity). I don't know what it is with these old Peugeots, but I love them. 205 GTi is quite legendary rally car too.

Mercedes 420/560 SEC

Finding an all-original SEC is bit of a challenge these days. Bubba and Luke have often installed tasteless aftermarket garbage (spoilers, smoked lights, etc.) on these beautiful cars and completely ruined them. But damn at original shape this is a classic Merc if anything is.

Jaguar XJ6 1996-> models

You can buy one of these for just a few grand. And nobody could even tell if it's from 1995 or 2010. It's timeless and the interior is just second to none. These have pretty bad reputation as unreliable cars with sky high maintenance costs, but if you can do things yourself I don't think it's that bad, really. I'd love to own one in British Racing Green.

Post your favorites. I'm sure I can come up with many more too.

Re: Old, cool affordable cars. What are your favorites?

Fun little car with bags of personality.
    It's even got a heated rear screen to keep your hands warm while pushing it :)

Thinking of letting mine go, anyone ?

Totally agree with OP over the Audi Coupe... but my personal soft spot has always been for the run out models (B3/B4). Heres my B4 2.6 V6.... cracking value for money at just over a grand and a half :lol:

And here it is beside my other oldie... (did I hear you say "affordable"?.... paid £350 for it!! :shock: )

I have to agree with the BMW's posted. All very cool.

Any alfa with the 3.2 v6 us worth a mention, brilliant but running costs are probably best kept quiet about! The BMW 530, the small displacement v8 was epic and the pug 106 rallye, 205 gti and 306 gti6 all worth a mention.

Chris

Affordable to buy, crippling to run?

I already have my tuned and uprated MGB GT, Porsche 924S track car and Mk2 Mazda MX5. The next affordable car I'd like is an Austin A35. Could leave it standard (James Hunt had a van, didn't drive his 6.9 Merc, just went everywhere in the A35 on the door handles) but since it was the platform the MG Midget and AH Sprite were based on, think about all those nice performance upgrades available.
    "A man of little significance"

Whoops, didn't notice the word "cool" until I'd posted my message! I don't think any of the cars I mentioned are considered cool, sorry...
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Citroen DS would be my choice of cool classic. Should've bought one years ago, when they were just old bangers.

Agree with the Audi GT (soooooo nearly bought one many moons ago), BMW 8 series and 635i (which is WAY cooler than the 8 series BTW!).

Others:

BMW 2002, nearly had one of those too - wish I had - what a cracking little car - oversteer until the tyres fall off :)

VW Corrado (preferably the VR6, but the G60 was OK too). Original Mk 1 GTi or Mk 1 Sciroco GLi

Bentley Turbo R (seriously)

Jaguar XJ Mk III

Jaguar XJS (buy with caution!)

Lotus Elite, Eclat, Excel (wedge shapes), Elan+2 (inspiration for the original MX5)

Merc SEL (1990s version or earlier, they got fat and ugly later)

Porsche 928

Renault Alpina A310 (if you can find one - saw one on Sunday - yummy!)

Just looked at that list....

Gosh I'm strange!

Cheers,

The BMW 6 posted above is a go-to.

I would add the Alfa-Romeo Spider.

Lancia Delta S4 is top of the list. Destroyed ALL other rally cars until poor Henri ploughed down the mountain & died

RIP

Then the Lancia Stratos

Master

I had a Citroen CX25 GTi Turbo 2, light metallic blue with a black leather interior (very rare apparently). I has it modified by Maikonics and it has 250bhp/320lbft so it went pretty quickly. Unfortunately it was also pretty unreliable and only did 18mpg, but it was huge fun to burn off chavs in Ford XRwhatsits when they didn't have a clue what it was. It was also Eddie's car in one of my favourite films; Betty Blue.

volvo amazon or morris traveller
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

In the early 90's i had an Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 which was a cracking car. 2lt, 16v engine worked a treat. Rear wheel drive and had the gearbox mounted on the back axle which gave an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. In board discs on the back and i loved it but aspired to the GTV6, a 3.0 V6 version. here you go:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&so ... 6&gs_rfai=

Haven't seen many about recently but i really like them. :drunken:

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee
    In the early 90's i had an Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 which was a cracking car. 2lt, 16v engine worked a treat. Rear wheel drive and had the gearbox mounted on the back axle which gave an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution. In board discs on the back and i loved it but aspired to the GTV6, a 3.0 V6 version. here you go:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&so ... 6&gs_rfai=

Haven't seen many about recently but i really like them. :drunken:
    Ahh yes - I had a 2.0l GTV as well! Wonderfully relaxed touring car, despite the driving position requiring you to have chimpanzee proportions!

Super cool car too!

Master

I do like the BMW 6 series :) The highline looks quite nice, great car for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    Lancia Delta S4 is top of the list. Destroyed ALL other rally cars until poor Henri ploughed down the mountain & died

RIP

Then the Lancia Stratos
    Yeah, I remember that one. Henri is a legend.

But I thought the original Delta Integrales have gotten expensive long time ago... just like Audi Quattro.

PS: Have you noticed how much they're asking for the original Sport Quattros these days... you know the short model... almost Porsche 959 and Ferrari Daytona prices. That's sick.
    http://www.autoscout24.se/Details.aspx?id=179167776

Grand Master

Chavs are still fitting huge wheels, turbos to the engines etc so they're not out of the woods yet but as modern cars get more and more dull and boring it's only a matter of time before the appeal broadens (you can already buy a brand-new E9 3-litre coupé from BMW Mobile Tradition for the price of a 650i; I know which I'd rather have!).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The very last edition of the old shape Mini Cooper S. Classic.
    http://www.minicooperpic.com/minicooper ... -48061.jpg

Master

Been most happy with this for the last four years

Tried to move it on this year, tried a Merc R129 SL and a Porsche 993 but couldn't bring myself to move the old boy on.

Could be some time before I get to the BMW 8, 6. Mk2 golf gti, alfa gta, old Saab 900
    , 993

Poor mans Stratos????

I loved the lines on my old X19. Very affordable, great on the twisties, targa top and economical..... except for the bills to keep on top of the tin worm.
    Eventually the rust got too bad and it was either throw ££££'s at it or cash it in with the scrappage scheme :crybaby:

Golf GTI MKII big bumper model -

Still look good after 20 years.

TVR's.

Bang-for-buck I reckon they're hard to beat - but if you want reliable then get one with the V8 in. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    There's one HERE for sale. Absolute minter but not cheap at £7.4k. Chap is emigrating to the states and can't import it due to Federal? restrictions related to it's construction, namely the chassis.

I'd love a SAAB c900, like this one :drunken:

A friend of mine has quite a collection of old, old classic stuff including a Green Goddess, a SAAB Sonett two-stroke (one of only two in the UK) and a 1937 Rolls Royce.

I went to the Tayside classic car show in the summer with a mate in this

Real time-warp back to the 80's. It had been dry stored since the owner passed away some ten years ago but had been fully recommissioned before sale with new tyres, springs, bushes and exhaust. Spec includes heated leather electric seats with electric headrests, auto' box with LSD, in fact every option bar electric rear seats, all electrics working as they should (big issue with E23's, I owned one and the electrics were screwed so bad I scrapped it) with just 67k on the clock!
    He got it for £1400 the lucky sod :twisted:

I don't know if pushing 40 has anything to do with it... but aren't the older (80's and 90's) cars MUCH nicer than the new ones?

They had much more personality and each brand looked more characteristic. BMW, Merc, Porsche... they were instantly recognizable.

It's difficult to see how someone can like a car like Porsche Panamera. Compare it to the classic (beautiful) 928... In 10 years that Panamera will look blocky, way oversized, dated and ugly, while the 928 will still be a timeless classic.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Citroen DS would be my choice of cool classic. Should've bought one years ago, when they were just old bangers.
    Agree with you there.

My favourite looking car of all time. So advanced and beautiful to drive.

The hydropneumatic suspension although brilliant could be a bit of a nightmare when it got old with all those seals but so very cool. 8)

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoknevo
    There's one HERE for sale. Absolute minter but not cheap at £7.4k. Chap is emigrating to the states and can't import it due to Federal? restrictions related to it's construction, namely the chassis.
    Bloody hell - that's the one I saw (I live in Reading!)

Cheers,

I'd go with the Citroen DS or ID (my father had an ID19 in the '60s, fab car). Failingthat i'll stick with what I've got..1998 Volvo C70 T5 auto..comfie as hell and goes well too

Not an enormous car nut but my brother did have have a lovely Alfa Romeo Giulia 2000 GT Veloce until he wrote it off - he was always much too vain to wear his glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by JPE
    BMW M 535i (E28)

I owned a E28 528i and I loved it. Loved it!!! M5 model of this is ultra-rare but there are a few nice M535's out there. E28 is def. my all-time favorite 5-klasse. Maybe it's nostalgia but I'd love to own one of these again.
    I've always regretted not buying one of these. An ex-boss offered to sell me his M5 of this model in 1996 for £500.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master

My god :shock:

That really puts the Panamera into perspective - what a gross car it is, in more than one sense.

Master

Is that Porsche picture for real? I always thought that the 928 was a bit of a bloater - the Panamera must be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Is that Porsche picture for real? I always thought that the 928 was a bit of a bloater - the Panamera must be huge.
    It's Bentley sized.
    Looking at this thread & the MGB GT in SC reminded me of how big modern cars are, compared to the sixties & seventies.
    ______

​Jim.

I'm sure all current XXXL sized cars will look stupid and dated in 10 years... they're full of trendy design details too.

Look at Jaguar XK8, certain Ferraris and Porsche 928... those lines will NEVER be out of style because they're smooth and timeless. There's nothing characteristic from any decade in the design.

I really like the XK8 too but I'm too scared to buy one. If something breaks you're in financial trouble... I heard the parts are very expensive. That sure is a beautiful car.

Mk1 Golf GTI. A real affordable classic, and so much fun to drive!

Master

This is my old, cool, affordable car (driving it through Italy). Hasn't seen the inside of a (commercial) garage since the beginning of 2005 and starts happily each time I need it to (in fact drove it to work today).

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF

This is my old, cool, affordable car (driving it through Italy). Hasn't seen the inside of a (commercial) garage since the beginning of 2005 and starts happily each time I need it to (in fact drove it to work today).
    Bellisimo!

The nicest shape of the run too.

The 968 is hard to beat on an early morning drive.

Cheers

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by stevoknevo
    Bloody hell - that's the one I saw (I live in Reading!)

Cheers,
    Small world eh? Or is Mr Jung's synchronicity at play here :D He's a fellow poster on UKSaabs.

Craftsman

Cool and affordable? NSU R080 or maybe a SD1 Vitesse. Or a 6 cylinder one if your tight like I am :lol:

I sold An AX GT for the cost of one of Eddies watches earlier this year - 100 horsepower, three quarters of a tonne....

Master

I had an AX GT when I was about 18. My friend kindly reversed it off my drive with the passenger door open - struck the gate and it bent like a sardine can :lol: :lol: Good fun though back then. I believe the guy I sold it to added a turbo from a Maestro and blew the engine shortly after, poor thing :lol:

That really does put the luxo barge into perspective :shock:

968 - is a good choice - as long as the cambelt and cam timing chain have been done, they are pretty rock solid; however, depending on your budget, the lure of a nice 911 3.2 could be stronger (although you'll be into the £-teens for a nice one. Not a classic yet but the early Boxsters are cracking value and shouldn't be dismissed as even the entry engine makes for a very fun car to chuck around (and even do the odd track session in).

The E9 BMW mentioned earlier are nice but again, good ones are pricey.

VW Golf GTI Mk1 are already commanding strong money and the Mk2 was where it started to go wrong (I had a Mk2 16v but can still see they were when the car started to suffer middle aged spread).

Quote Originally Posted by AM94
    VW Golf GTI Mk1 are already commanding strong money and the Mk2 was where it started to go wrong (I had a Mk2 16v but can still see they were when the car started to suffer middle aged spread).

Says it all really.

(I tried to find one with all six - maybe someone else has better Google-Fu)

EDIT - just found this...

not sure I believe the Mk 2 line though....hmm.

Cheers,

Journeyman

Amazing how much the Golf has changed, I read somewhere that a mkII is the same size as the currewnt Polo. Saying that the mkI GTI is a classic era defining car.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NikosF

Lovely car but you might want to change the oil some time - dino juice especially doesn't last that long and tyres tend to go off after six years or so.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AM94
    really? The MkII was still within spitting distance of the Mk1 in size and weight. the Mk III was off the scale in that regard. I remember driving a friend's '89 GTI 8v on occasion over several years from 1990 to about 1996, and thinking it was the pinnacle in fun real-world motoring - as direct and involving as a 205 but without its tin-can feel. The Mk III weighed around 20% more than the outgoing one.

"The Volkswagen Golf Mk2 succeeded the Mk1 as Volkswagen's volume seller from 1983 and remained in (German) production until late 1992. In comparison to its predecessor, its wheelbase grew slightly (+ 75 mm (3.0 in)), as did exterior dimensions (length + 180 mm (7.1 in), width + 55 mm (2.2 in), height + 5 mm (0.2 in)). Weight was up accordingly by about 120 kg (264.6 lb)."

It was a good car; I liked mine but it wasn't as nimble as the Mk1 and 'the spread' had begun.

Anyway, back on topic - I personally think that if you can afford an impact bumper 911 3.2, you'll find it hard to beat. Practical, quick and as long as you buy one that had history, reliable.

I'm sure I recall reading that the newer 2 litre Golf GTi isn't as nimble as the Mk 1 1600 GTi.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

My memory of the cars agrees with that, tbh I never really liked the mk2, a mate had one about 12 years ago I drove it a few times and TBH given that I came from a mini I didn't think much of it. Different story nowadays though with so many on modified suspension and grippy modern tyres.

The last time that I built a car was in 1997. I bought a reasonably solid Mark 1 GTI (Mars Red, with factory steel sunroof) and had the bodywork sorted. BR Motorsport built me an 1800 engine using the Mark 1's K-Jetronic fuel injection system and a Schrick cam, with a Supersprint 4-2-1 manifold. I did the suspension (Koni adjustables all round) and brakes, using Brembo front discs, Mintex M171 pads and steel braided Aeroquip lines. When they fitted the engine BRM sorted out the cross-linkage for the brakes and fitted a new servo. The wheels were standard 6" x 14" steels, so as not to attract unwanted attention, shod with a set of sticky Yokohamas. I also fitted strut braces front and rear, with upper and lower braces on the front.

Cost of the project was £4k, and I drove the car every day for over a year before someone offered me £5k for it. Would have been rude not to.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Great post.

My first car was a V6 Capri form 1970 I think (it was a while ago now!)