closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 39mm Omega Railmaster pre-owned prices?

39mm Omega Railmaster pre-owned prices?

Not a WTB yet as I don't know if I can afford one but just a skirmish to see how much they typically go for in nice condition pre-owned.
    I'd be more interested in the black dial on strap but bracelet is also OK.

Anyone know what they go for?

Re: 39mm Omega Railmaster pre-owned prices?

Sorry, but I have no idea of the current prices and it is not my intention to spam your thread - but I once found this picture on a Norwegian watch forum .............. IMHO it looks stunning on a mesh !

So just to wet your appetite :wink:

I think there only has been one on a brown strap that was flipped twice in the last year . A rare omega on the sc indeed , I would keep my eye on ebay.

I've been keeping my eyes open for one of these on ebay - the 39mm on bracelet seems to go for around £1000 to £1150.

Not seen one for sale on a strap yet, nor the 42mm version which is what I'm after.

Craftsman

Not sure about the 39. I paid 1750 for a not very old XL though

Niall

Quote Originally Posted by Niall1975

Niall
    Was that the 42mm or the 49mm Niall ??

Master

Not sure if this helps but I waited for ages for one to come up on SC, to no avail. Not wanting to run the risk of getting ripped off on Fleabay I decided to buy new from an AD.

Got the 42mm version on a leather strap about two months ago and love it. Have worn it every day, but one, since then. It comes very close to being my perfect watch and well worth the cost new. 8)

I now have twenty or so other watches which seem, temporarily at least, to be surplus to requirements! :roll:

Sean

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

Niall

The 42mm is about £1800/1900 new.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat

Niall

The 42mm is about £1800/1900 new.
    Sounds right - and I'm the same as you Sean and debating whether to buy a new one as it seems to be a difficult watch to find secondhand from a reliable source. Blowers and a few other grey dealers have them in - but the discount on RRP is pretty dismal.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Craftsman

49mm, looks good as i have huge wrists. Definately not suitable for the smaller gentleman !!!!

Niall

Anyone know what the going rate for a 39mm Railmaster is these days?

39mm Omega Railmaster pre-owned prices?

I was watching a nice one on eBay recently - sold for £1650 if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by colin t; 11th November 2015 at 22:40.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Anyone know what the going rate for a 39mm Railmaster is these days?
    The last one I saw up for sale here earlier in the year was £1500 with them going for more on Chrono24 and eBay. Also here's a link to watchrecon with a few currently available stateside: http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=rai...=0&brand=omega

Not surprised they seldom crop up for sale compared to many watches.......they are a modern cult classic-beautiful clean dial/

Grand Master
    The smaller 36mm (36.2?) version is the one I`d go for. I`ve owned a couple of Aqua Terras like this and regret letting one of them go.

Officially my collection's complete and I`m probably going to sell a few next year....unofficially I`d be very tempted by the right Railmaster in the smaller size.

As for values? Probably north of £1500 for a good 'un. As these watches are all a few years old and feature the co-axial movement I`d place a premium on recent service history too.

Paul

Some pictures in this thread: Omega Railmaster - pics.

And it's best to know the lug width for the various size models:

cal
    mm
    lug size
    36.2 19 mm
    39.2 20 mm
    41 21 mm
    XXL
    49.2 24 mm

I've owned both the 36mm and 39mm Railmasters, but the 36 is the one I'll never part with.

The 39mm wears surprisingly large. Here it is next to a 42mm Planet Ocean:

39mm Railmaster and 38.5mm Aqua Terra:

And now the same comparisons with the 36mm flavour... first the 42mm PO:

And the 38.5mm AT:

And finally, the two side by side:

But really, either way you can hardly go wrong. Classic, understated, highly legible, and has a bracelet that's oh so comfortable. It's the watch that (for the most part!) has cured my desire for an Explorer.

As for price, I'd say £1500-1700 is about right these days.

Grand Master
    Several years back, I had choice of a 12 month old Railmaster 36mm or a 5 year old Explorer 1 fresh from a Rolex service. I bought the Explorer (which I still own) but I often wish I`d bought both. Prices were excellent by todays standards back in 2009!

Paul

Great set of pictures workahol, very interesting to see the comparisons… the 39mm does wear large but is so slim it certainly gets away with it! I would also love to try on the 36mm at some point. I could see myself with both version if that were to happen though!

39mm on 6.75" wrist

36mm is the one to have IMO. Watchfinder occasionally get the 39mm ones in but they sell at £2500.

Craftsman
    Hopefully Omega will release a Railmaster reissue after the Seamaster 300 co axial. They pretty much only have to omit the diver bezel :)
    Would then be proper antimagnetic, unlike the last reissue (not that I ever need it) and not much more then the used price above (from iconic)

Journeyman
    I sold 41mm version couple of years ago. Went for £1300 in Finland. Probably could've gotten more if I had waited longer but what can you do when you have joy to spread...

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Hopefully Omega will release a Railmaster reissue after the Seamaster 300 co axial. They pretty much only have to omit the diver bezel :)
    Or now that the AT is proper antimagnetic, they could just do what they did last time and pop in a Railmaster dial and some better hands.

Master
    That's a nice piece about these. Strange that it was not popular at the time, I remember liking them but ending up with an Aqua Terra of that generation instead. I wonder if the Railmaster branding really helped - obviously it referenced a historical model but few would have known it, leaving it as a watch that mysteriously had something to do with train spotting. The thinking man's Explorer feel was also perhaps not as blindingly obvious then as it is now, when 1016s are so hot, and a slightly larger one seems like an excellent idea - and now that Omega have become a more direct challenger to Rolex of course. Yet another watch we can kick ourselves for not picking up when it was a bit of a bargain - or feel very good about for grabing at the right time of course!

It will be interesting to see what Omega come up with at Basel. I hadn't realised the antimagnetic back story to the Railmaster, so they are well placed to do something with that. This time around, an Omega branded Explorer competitor should do much better, if they do it well. I do hope there's one in 38.5mm like the AT.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 14th February 2017 at 12:01.

Grand Master
    i prefer the 39mm, but i have gorilla wrists.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    Certainly agree that the 36.2mm version is the one to get if you've got smallish wrists, the 39 dose wear large. One of the few watches I regret not buying when I had the chance, one of Omega's better efforts from recent years and it would be better still if it didn`t have the co-axial movement. As stated many times on here, they are v. difficult to find and when they do crop up they're not cheap.

If Omega resurrected this the chances are they'd mess it up by making it too big and too thick (and too expensive). The 38.5mm Aqua Terra suffers from 'fat boy' syndrome to some extent, always seemed thicker than it ought to be . Whether that's a consequence of the twin barrel movement I`m not sure.

The Railmaster harks back to a period when Omega were doing most things very well (mid 90s to mid noughties) at sensible prices. A far cry from today.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The 38.5mm Aqua Terra suffers from 'fat boy' syndrome to some extent, always seemed thicker than it ought to be . Whether that's a consequence of the twin barrel movement I`m not sure.

The Railmaster harks back to a period when Omega were doing most things very well (mid 90s to mid noughties) at sensible prices. A far cry from today.

Paul
    The 38.5mm mechanical AT is indeed top heavy, partly the movement, but the display back doesn't help either. The considerably slimmer quartz equivalent is one of the best proportioned modern watches out there for those with a smaller wrist.

I agree it feels they've lost their way a bit lately. There are a few good ones but looking at the range in a window yesterday the overall impression was just kind of... bloated.

I would still love a 36mm Railmaster at some point, I had an 38.5mm AT Quartz, and found that a bit too chunky, especially compared to the 36mm 120m Quartz I bought to replace it.

Master
    Just to add some more love for the Railmaster, I've had the 36 version for 4 months or so now and it really is the perfect watch (for me at least) and if I wasnt such a hoarder I'd happily live with selling up all my others.

Craftsman
    I'm an owner of the 42mm version with a 21mm lug size. I struggled to find one at the time within budget and I suppose I didn't realise the myriad of sizes available. The 39mm would have been perfect for me.

I love my RM, but I just feel that the size of it isn't perfect. I might let it go, if only to find a 39 or 36.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Tomorrow I'm going to London and I plan to sell my 39mm Railmaster to a dealer who I'm seeing about a Rolex.
    Problem is I can see not a single 39mm for sale at the moment to compare price- seriously- what would you hope to sell one for to a dealer- it comes with all Omega boxes and cards etc and is in near mint condition......
    Any advice appreciated......

Master
    Loved the oversize one, real classy piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomorrow I'm going to London and I plan to sell my 39mm Railmaster to a dealer who I'm seeing about a Rolex.
    Problem is I can see not a single 39mm for sale at the moment to compare price- seriously- what would you hope to sell one for to a dealer- it comes with all Omega boxes and cards etc and is in near mint condition......
    Is it on leather or bracelet?

Blog Entries
    If selling to a dealer they'll probably buy for 1/2 what they will sell at. So let's say they sell at £2500 you might get £1200 if you're lucky - or more likely £1000 depending on age. . Trade in value may be bit more though.

Martyn

I've just been looking (and in fact bought one) and I'd say that prices now are far higher than they were 12-18 months ago. I paid £2750 privately for an unworn NOS watch on bracelet but dealer prices seem to be around the £2250-2500 mark on leather and upwards of that on the bracelet. It's not easy to pin down as there aren't that many 39mm models for sale at any given time.

It took me over a year to hunt one down and it's one of the few watches I own that I don't think I could ever flip. I don't even wear it as often as others but when I do I just think it's perfect

Craftsman
    Do the 36mm and 39mm versions have similar valuations? I have been keen to try a 36mm version but, as other posters have noted, they are very hard to find.

Craftsman
    I would imagine they are all similar - none of them come up very often so price will vary on condition. I paid £2400 for 41mm on leather around 10 months ago.