closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side by Side comparison of old and new Rolex Submariner

Master

Side by Side comparison of old and new Rolex Submariner

A great set of images here comparing old and new. http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...rt=0&rid=50750

I think this a useful comparison. The side profile pic 6 from the end confirms something I noticed the other evening: the edgeing on the bezel is different. The new sub is more similar to the Sea Dweller (16660). Also, the next image down shows what I referred to in my earlier thread about the 'deeper' rehaut on the old Sub - it may just be a trick of the eye, but the 'depth' of this was something that I didn't like - a very subtle diffrence, but there all the same - always bothered me compared to a SD or 14060 (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131346&hilit=+rehaut).

Re: Side by Side comparison of old and new Rolex Submariner

i actually prefer the old sub shape.. i think that the bulking out of the lugs is just too extreme... or they could have made them slightly thicker only like the GMT IIC.. the other upgrades of the new sub are really 8)
    i think that the old LV with the maxi dial is probably the perfect rolex

Master

Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK
    i actually prefer the old sub shape.. i think that the bulking out of the lugs is just too extreme... or they could have made them slightly thicker only like the GMT IIC.. the other upgrades of the new sub are really 8)
    i think that the old LV with the maxi dial is probably the perfect rolex
    Agree, I also think it a bit to bulky. It just looks better before, but agree about the other options. They are improvement

I am just not an expert on Rolex, but really do not see much difference between the two its so small. I am going to get a sub, but i dont think i mind if its the old or new version. price will determine

Worth seeing, that. I don't think there's anything wrong with the new one, but the old one looks nicer to me. Cleaner and more elegant.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Thank you so much for the link.
    What's your opinion about the drilled lugs that are missing on the newest model. Is it a + or a -?

Cheers.

Master

thanks for that 8)

I prefer the new one. But laying on it's side compared to the old one it does look a bit square. Is it different enough from my DSSD & GMTIIC to warrant paying the price? Maybe :twisted:

Neil

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham
    I am just not an expert on Rolex, but really do not see much difference between the two its so small. I am going to get a sub, but i dont think i mind if its the old or new version. price will determine
    I'd be tempted to suggest that you could possibly save some money and get an Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp
    What's your opinion about the drilled lugs that are missing on the newest model. Is it a + or a -?
    The 16610 lost the drilled lugs some time ago. Personally, I prefer them as it makes removing or replacing the bracelet much easier, but as I expect that almost all Sub owners leave theirs on the bracelet, it's probably an irrelevance to most people.

Useful post - thanks Alun. It also confirms my feelings about the 16610 - for me, and IMHO, it's nicer.

It's safe to say that mine won't be appearing on SC any time soon :)

Surprisingly (or not?), most of the posts in the linked thread are praising the new Sub...

I think it looks as if it has undergone a silicon-implants operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Worth seeing, that. I don't think there's anything wrong with the new one, but the old one looks nicer to me. Cleaner and more elegant.
    +1
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Journeyman

Thanks, Alun! I wish I could see them in person- from what I can see, I think I prefer the older one overall....

Master

I like the old one much better.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceS
    I like the old one much better.
    +1 here. It's not that the new one is bad, it's just that the old one is great. The newer one seems a bit 'modern' in shape in a way that might seem quite dated in 20 years time.

Blog Entries

Why didn't they just put a new bracelet and a ceramic bezel on the old model? :roll:
    It's clearly the better looking one.
    Those fat lugs...........ugh :twisted:

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Looks like the new one's porked out & piled on a few pounds.

Really don't see why they needed to change it beyond Daddels suggestions.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

996 vs 997

initial ?????

followed by :) :) :) :) :) :)

GMT vs GMTc (now very popular and deservedly so)

but there are always misses sorry to the big wristed lovers

16600 vd 116600 - fair point :(

I don't see that much of a difference either, certainly not enough to get harsh over the new one.

Very useful comparison, cheers for posting :)

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

As nice as the new one is, side by side the old one wins for me 8)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TKH
    996 vs 997

initial ?????

followed by :) :) :) :) :) :)

GMT vs GMTc (now very popular and deservedly so)

but there are always misses sorry to the big wristed lovers

16600 vd 116600 - fair point :(
    My thoughts exactly - well maybe not, as I actually preferred the 997, perhaps 996 over 993 - I know the purists still prefer the 993, but let's face it the 996 was a way better car - especially inside. I guess you could compare the interior of the 996 vs 993 to the bracelet clasp of the old vs new SD and Sub. Enough waffle :roll:

Sorry guys but you have to pay extra for the ceramic bezel? In the Rolex web page the SS black submariner bezel is not ceramic....I am confused... :?

I was leaning towards the new model on looks until I saw the wrist shot. For me the old model wins easily on the looks front when seen like that.

Craftsman

not sure i am keen on the square look to be honest
    although i will wait till i see it in the flesh

Craftsman

I prefer the clasp of the new one, but don't really like the barcode(?) on it's side.

Master

Because the original case design/dimensions have not changed in nearly 60 years, (other than crown guards), the new Sub/GMT is maybe a slight shock to the system & hard to accept for some people after so many succesful years, which has been burned into our psyche of Rolex sport watches. The new case just needs a little time to be accepted while the old case recedes into the past I think. The possible added benefit is that there's more metal to be polished/ground away through hard use that it could conceivably end up looking like the old one if you see what I mean. :lol:
    Anyway I like both TBH especially the GMTc.

Banned

You can picture all the Rolex marketing team......

Lets test the water with the DSSD and see if we get the 'break from tradition' comments we expect, however, if sales are reasonable let's do the same with the new Sub design.

Rolex have an avid market and they can 'slip' the old design back in, even as a re-issue at any stage, but they have moved on for now at least.

I personally don't like the fit of the new Sub on my own wrist, but that said, I think it's a stunner. Same with the DSSD, as it sits too high 'for me', but again, a superb piece.

I would say they know what they are doing.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Why didn't they just put a new bracelet and a ceramic bezel on the old model? :roll:
    Because, as everyone knows, bigger is better.... :roll: Too many people have complained that the sub is just too small, so they gave the masses what they wanted: a bloated sub.

I too prefer the older model, but I think that the new watch will become a "classic" in time.

Cheers,

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza
    don't really like the barcode(?) on it's side.
    That's just on the protective plastics, it peels off! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    +1000!

The new case is also so much easier and cheaper to produce.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

Being lucky enough to have owned the new Sub for some time (albeit the WG Blue model) I have got to say that I see it as an evolution that reflects modern tastes and it is an ongoing process. To make my point, comparing the 5513 with the 14060 and you will see that the more modern watch seems bigger - and so it is with the new 116610.

Probably the main reasons for the new case are that watches have obviously got noticeably bigger and that people's wrists seem to have as well. If you have a bigger wrist and compare the old/new models, then you can see that a reason for the bigger cased model. I know of at least one well-regarded member here who thinks that the Sub is too small for his 8" wrist!

Having said that, I think that there will always be fans of one iteration over another (as there are even between very similar models) and so there is no right or wrong - it is a very personal choice.

Rolex obviously make watches for a much wider audience than people like us and so they will obviously respond to what they believe will sell wide to a broad range of their consumers. I think that the new model is possibly designed for a younger audience and future generations of WIS who may appreciate its heft when they are comparing them to previous models.

As an aside, I can see why most people here seem to prefer the "old" model and I think you have a point with the lugs, but in some cases could it just be that some people don't like change?

I'm not trying to be controversial, or even disagree with the general consensus, but I just thought it worthy of comment.

Master

looks good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    You are a wise man Derek :)

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

Nice link, cheers :)

I like them both for their own merits. Who here has one watch anyway :D You can have an example of both :wink:

Having tried on the SS Ceramic recently at the AD it is very nice and very confortable. The same goes with the DS and GMTIIc before it, the bracelet and clasp go the majority of the way in increacing the perceved quality. The ceramic bezel does the rest.

I like Peter have liked the new case shape for some time and see it as evolution. Which is something I like.

Cheers Alun for the link i must admit i keep looking at the pre-owned Submariners at a local Jewellers.

I have seen the new sub at Schiphol airport last thursday.

Excuse my French, but it looks like shit.
    The fat lugs: horrible, certainly with the bracelet that has retained its old dimensions.
    The well balanced look of the old case-size/lug-size/bracelet-size is gone.
    FUBAR, some people in the military would call it.

Further: why the heck is that ugly tattoo-like laser-engraving located at the side of the case? For Christs' sake: put it on the inside/underside of a lug...

The ceramic-bezel: looks nice, scratch-resistance is good.
    BUT: what kind of utter moron puts a ceramic bezel on a divers watch? As most folks will realise: ceramic is prone to breaking due to it being an extremely hard yet brittle material.
    Certainly divers can bang into stones, ships, gear and the likes. I think the people at COMEX wouldn't be amused when half their watches had to be sent back to Rolex for repairs after a few dives...

I've already seen some pictures of chipped/broken bezels. Nice for Rolex as I understood that they charge approx. 1000 Euro's for replacement (they replace the whole bezel because the broken bezel-inlay can distort the steel bezel parts, making putting a new insert in it impossible.

All in all, the new submariner can be seen as the definitive end of Rolex making purpose-built toolwatches i.e. diverswatches. Rolex has gone the same way as many watchmakers do: grab the quick buck by making the bigger, uglier and less practical watches most people seem to fancy these days.

Although most people won't dive with their Subs, it's total nonsense to make a diverswatch that just isn't up to the task in every way.

All in all, I think Rolex had made a very bad turn, although they will be selling shiploads of the new Subs to people who like the bling and its "finally decent" size...

:? :? :?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza
    don't really like the barcode(?) on it's side.
    That's just on the protective plastics, it peels off! :D
    My bad lol. Should have read the article, instead of just looking at the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    I have seen the new sub at Schiphol airport last thursday.

Excuse my French, but it looks like shit.
    The fat lugs: horrible, certainly with the bracelet that has retained its old dimensions.
    The well balanced look of the old case-size/lug-size/bracelet-size is gone.
    FUBAR, some people in the military would call it................ :? :? :?
    Come on, don't sit on the fence now. tell us how you really feel!

Actually, I quite agree. Think they've managed to make it pretty damn ugly now. Silly Swiss chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    In the Rolex web page the SS black submariner bezel is not ceramic....I am confused... :?
    The website is out of date (and only ever seems to show a proportion of what's available anyway). The Black Sub SS on the site is the old one, being replaced by the ceramic bezel version (not on the site). The Subs with gold content and the new case can be seen as they've been out a while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ceathreamhnan
    Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    In the Rolex web page the SS black submariner bezel is not ceramic....I am confused... :?
    The website is out of date (and only ever seems to show a proportion of what's available anyway). The Black Sub SS on the site is the old one, being replaced by the ceramic bezel version (not on the site). The Subs with gold content and the new case can be seen as they've been out a while.
    http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/ ... ubmariner/

At least it's not only my beloved Deepsea that divides opinion with such passion.

I like it :rr:

Neil

Not being an expert but I agree that the larger lugs aren't so elegent but I prefer the clasp, it looks far more robust. I guess you pays your money and makes your choice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mihaixp
    Thank you so much for the link.

Cheers.
    I always prefer drilled lugs on any watch and most definitely on a Rolex as to the comparision for me the "old girl" shades it just find the ceramic to "blingy".
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb
    Not being an expert but I agree that the larger lugs aren't so elegent but I prefer the clasp, it looks far more robust. I guess you pays your money and makes your choice!

The new clasp on the old model sub, removal of the rolexrolexrolex-rehaut, removal of the superlative bla bla and the return of the drilled-through lugs.

That's the ultimate sub.

Hence: buy yourself an old sub, upgrade it with the new band and enjoy it...

Craftsman

A great set of images, I think the new one looks more square and chunkier, it looks as though it is bigger on the wrist, a step in the right direction for me, just want the 42-43mm model to come out now and I will be going for one :lol: :lol:

Master

The new clasp looks to be a good improvement, as for the rest of it?... I'll stick with the old one. (well I will one day anyhow :) )

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/basel2010/new-submariner/black-submariner/
    Well I think I have to say there wasn't a page covering the sub-c in the actual menu section for submariners last week, however I see there is now; this is brand new:
    http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watch.../introduction/

Journeyman

The shape of the old one is much more elegant and in general i am finding the old one much classier.

Since I saw the pictures, I am wondering why the heck Rolex copied the mighty Zenton M45 diver shape ? http://www.zentonwatches.com/watches/m45/ :twisted: :lol:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tllw
    The shape of the old one is much more elegant and in general i am finding the old one much classier.

Since I saw the pictures, I am wondering why the heck Rolex copied the mighty Zenton M45 diver shape ? http://www.zentonwatches.com/watches/m45/ :twisted: :lol:
    Never mind the Rolex looks like a Zenton thing.
    Never heard of the brand, but if all they claim is true, they certainly deliver a lot for what they ask!!
    Some big brands should be ashamed of themselves.........

Daddel.

Grand Master

I much prefer the case on the old model, the oversized crown protectors together with the thicker lugs give the watch a clumsy appearance from certain angles.

Tried on a TT model last week to get an idea of what the steel one will be like.....I really didn`t like the case but the bezel, bracelet and dial are nice.

I reckon they'll be fairly easy to get in a few months time.

Paul