closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A quintessential/iconic watch?

A quintessential/iconic watch?

Over the last few months, have been pondering what the next step in the collection is. I have no grail at the moment.

So,to help me seek out a grail, what watch do you think is:

quintessential - "perfect as an example of a type of thing"

iconic - "something that has the characteristics of an icon...embodies the essential characteristics of [in this case] a watch and is revered"

Yet is not a fantastically complicated Patek Philippe or Franck Muller - for my purposes it means a limit of price (new or used) of £3000.

Oh, and Rolex are excluded - I appreciate that a submariner or a sea dweller probably fits the criteria, but I dont want to buy one of those, and would really appreciate people's views excluding what (at least at this price) might be an easy answer? :twisted:

Does it have to be a radio controlled G-Shock because they are the most accurate timekeepers, or mechanical because that is traditional?

Does it have to have lots of complications - Navitimer with a moonphase, or a tourbillon movement - like the BHI tourbillon?

Does it have to be Swiss?

Does it have to be gold?

Does the manufacturer have to have a long history in the industry of watchmaking? - you could probably get an entry level Franck Muller at this price point.

Is it about design - for example a Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope or a Speedbird

All this thinking has left me :? :!:

A flash of inspiration pointed me in the direction of the (admittedly used) Bremont ALT1-C

Fantastic design, easy to read, a chronograph with a date complications, versatile and wearable in any situation. A valjoux (i.e. Swiss made I think -albeit modified) movement and COSC timekeeping - in silver!

Whats your choice?

Craftsman

Re: A quintessential/iconic watch?

Don't know if my suggestion is correct with all criterias.
    But ,if I was a rich man.
    I would probably buy this watch : a grail IMO...

Grand seiko mechanical hi-beat linked from seiya web site:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBG ... GH001.html

:wink:

laurent

P.S :
    more pics here:
    http://forum.chronomania.net/board_entr ... c7d8a92974

My iconic list around there runs:

Zenith El Primero -- lots of choices, used for £3k is doable, but a very unique 10bph column wheel chronograph
    JLC Reverso -- Harder at 3k, but very much an icon
    IWC Pilot -- similar vein as the Bremont
    Omega AQT8500 -- unique movement for the price point, interesting alternative to the Rolex Datejust

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg
    My iconic list around there runs:

Zenith El Primero -- lots of choices, used for £3k is doable, but a very unique 10bph column wheel chronograph
    JLC Reverso -- Harder at 3k, but very much an icon
    IWC Pilot -- similar vein as the Bremont
    Omega AQT8500 -- unique movement for the price point, interesting alternative to the Rolex Datejust
    Excellent choices there - I'd be overjoyed with the first 3 of those.

Could consider a Breitling Navitimer I suppose.

A 1966 105.012 cal.321 Omega Speedmaster :D

End of.

Iconic.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo

End of.
    I'd have to agree with this...

Of course in doing so, I'd have to ignore several other iconic chronos from the 60s and 70s (Heuer Autavia, Monaco, Zenith El Primero, Seiko 6139-6002).

If I wanted an iconic diver, I could go with a Seiko 6309-7040. Or maybe a Doxa sub 600T Divingstar. How about an Omega SM300?

And because a post is worthless without pictures...

Iconic: I have (I think) several ones: A SD, a Explorer 1, another I am not going to mention....I want to have a Moonwatch, a Rolex GMT, a JLC, an AP Royal Oak, a Breguet.....and on, and on, and on.....

But "really iconic"? The Dreadnought, no doubt.....

Cheap and cheerful, but there's no denying that this watch (ok, not this particular edition) has iconic status:

At the moment for me though it's this:

Here's some image love.

End of.
    +++1

Couldn't have said it better myself

Iconic but not a Rolex? :shock: :lol:

IMO the Speedy Pro or Heuer Monaco.

One you can afford on your budget the other you probably can't.

With all due respect I wouldn't call any Bremont iconic.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

End of.

Another +1 for this.

End of.
    It gets my vote as well.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Probably being anal (in fact almost certainly), but I think the word iconic is losing it's impact and resonance because of overuse. It's used quite often here to describe a watch which though very popular and even a trendsetter, is not in my opinion 'iconic'

There are some iconic watches, but they are very few and far between, and most other watches which are referred to as iconic, are in fact derivative of the original icon.

My picks for iconic would be:

Rolex Submariner
    Rolex Oyster
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    Breitling Chronomat (original brevete' Suisse 1940s)
    Omega Speedmaster professional
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Jager Le Coultre Reverso
    Jaeger le Coultre Compressor
    Jenni Caribbean
    Panerai Issue WW2 (Rolex movement)
    Seiko 6309
    IWC Mk X
    Casio DW5600 G Shock
    Luminox 3901

There may be a few others, but these were the innovators, the originals. Many watches have come and gone, but these will always remain the watches which have been copied more than just about any others, they are in the truest sense of the word, icons.

It would be interesting to see if others could be added to the list, because my views will be at odds with others.

Banned

Would add the PloProf to Doug's list.

Master

I like Doug's list. Just wonder if some other dress type watches like the Calatrava from Patek or earlier Breguets, etc might be considered iconic. Also the original AP Royal Oak design. Vacheron designs were also sort of unique.
    Cheers,
    Bruce

Constellation Pie-Pan?

Master

Breguet Type XX. Blancpain 50 Fathoms.

Master

Can't get any more iconic than the original Ingersoll (Timex) Mickey Mouse Watch:

Cheers,

Jay

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by alljay
    Can't get any more iconic than the original Ingersoll (Timex) Mickey Mouse Watch:

Cheers,

Jay
    Mickey is an icon, sadly, the watch not :D

Can't get any more iconic than the original Ingersoll (Timex) Mickey Mouse Watch
    That's true Jay, they are certainly iconic, but I don't get these at all. I think they suck, unless you are 10 years old and live in 1958. :shock: Each to their own, and all that, but I'd rather set my face on fire than pay for a Mickey Mouse watch. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble
    Can't get any more iconic than the original Ingersoll (Timex) Mickey Mouse Watch
    That's true Jay, they are certainly iconic, but I don't get these at all. I think they suck, unless you are 10 years old and live in 1958. :shock: Each to their own, and all that, but I'd rather set my face on fire than pay for a Mickey Mouse watch. :)
    TBH, I agree with you. I don't like Mickey watches either. :D

But, these watches were first produced in 1933 and have spawned hundreds or thousands of copies and inspired untold numbers of other novelty watches. Part of being "iconic" is not only being unique or original, it is also about being recognized. Would the average person know any of the watches on Doug's list beyond the Rolex submariner? I'm not sure, but almost everyone in the "Western" world has seen (or owned) the Mickey watch.

In any event, I was just having a bit of fun. :) I know that the Mickey watch isn't of horological significance, but I can't imagine any lit of iconic watches not including it....

Cheers,

Jay

Constellation Pie-Pan?
    Oh, go on then :D

Like this one......

or these two perhaps.......

:wink:

Plenty of good suggestions already, I'll add the IWC 3636 Aquatimer or Portuguese
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

For me, it would have to be this:

An IWC Mk XII. All the information you need as clearly presented as it could be. And that movement...droool.

Thanks for all for taking the time to respond - its interesting to see how people have approached my question.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    Probably being anal (in fact almost certainly), but I think the word iconic is losing it's impact and resonance because of overuse. It's used quite often here to describe a watch which though very popular and even a trendsetter, is not in my opinion 'iconic'

There are some iconic watches, but they are very few and far between, and most other watches which are referred to as iconic, are in fact derivative of the original icon.

Rolex Submariner
    Rolex Oyster
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Jager Le Coultre Reverso
    Jenni Caribbean
    Seiko 6309
    IWC Mk X
    Casio DW5600 G Shock
    Luminox 3901

There may be a few others, but these were the innovators, the originals. Many watches have come and gone, but these will always remain the watches which have been copied more than just about any others, they are in the truest sense of the word, icons.

It would be interesting to see if others could be added to the list, because my views will be at odds with others.
    Thanks for the list Doug - thought provoking. Although a fair bit outside the price point perhaps a Milgauss could be added to the list or the IWC Ingenieur?

I think its a fair point about what could be and what probably isn't an icon in the true sense of the word, although I think that a derivative of the original watch can become an icon.....can it only be the very first version of the Rolex Sub produced that is an icon (like the specific model of G Shock mentioned), or is it all Rolex Subs?

Just taking some time to reflect I guess I have made a mistake that a quintessential watch will also always be an iconic watch, whereas in fact that is not the case - I suppose the Bremont may be an example of this.

Still no closer to finding a grail :( but have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts so far :)

IWC Portuguese chrono check it out :wink:

What about a Cartier Tank or Santos 100 ? Their design is 50 yeras older than the sub and is till made.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter

Rolex Submariner
    Rolex Oyster
    Breitling Navitimer 806
    Omega Seamaster 300
    Jager Le Coultre Reverso
    Jenni Caribbean
    Seiko 6309
    IWC Mk X
    Casio DW5600 G Shock
    Luminox 3901

what a great list, i'd never thought that one through. surely the blancpain fifty fathoms is a glaring omission though?

Iconic watches:

The Mickey Mouse watch
    The Rolex Submariner
    The Omega Speedmaster
    The black dial military watch with arabic numerals (CWC G10 etc)
    The white dial railway watch (Mondaine etc)

JLC Reverso Duo

The only watch I *really* want at the moment. (Apart from all the others of course ... )

I was stood outside the JLC Manufactury in Le Sentier only a few days ago. Unfortunately they seemed to be closed for their summer break but it was fabulous just to be there.

Master

As Doug said, Mickey is a true icon and Mickey Mouse watches are still heavily collected and bought today. I have a couple and I'm not 10 and wasn't around in 1958.

I would rate the Mickey Mouse character watch in the icon status of watch not in line with a Rolex or PAM but for what it is.

Never heard about the GG Mickey Mouse watch I'm assuming, you know the guy with the certain AP and PP street cred designs??????