Over the last few months, have been pondering what the next step in the collection is. I have no grail at the moment.

So,to help me seek out a grail, what watch do you think is:

quintessential - "perfect as an example of a type of thing"

iconic - "something that has the characteristics of an icon...embodies the essential characteristics of [in this case] a watch and is revered"

Yet is not a fantastically complicated Patek Philippe or Franck Muller - for my purposes it means a limit of price (new or used) of £3000.

Oh, and Rolex are excluded - I appreciate that a submariner or a sea dweller probably fits the criteria, but I dont want to buy one of those, and would really appreciate people's views excluding what (at least at this price) might be an easy answer? :twisted:

Does it have to be a radio controlled G-Shock because they are the most accurate timekeepers, or mechanical because that is traditional?

Does it have to have lots of complications - Navitimer with a moonphase, or a tourbillon movement - like the BHI tourbillon?

Does it have to be Swiss?

Does it have to be gold?

Does the manufacturer have to have a long history in the industry of watchmaking? - you could probably get an entry level Franck Muller at this price point.

Is it about design - for example a Junghans Max Bill Chronoscope or a Speedbird

All this thinking has left me :? :!:

A flash of inspiration pointed me in the direction of the (admittedly used) Bremont ALT1-C

Fantastic design, easy to read, a chronograph with a date complications, versatile and wearable in any situation. A valjoux (i.e. Swiss made I think -albeit modified) movement and COSC timekeeping - in silver!

Whats your choice?