closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Noob question, sorry!

Noob question, sorry!

Hi There bit of a noobie question here!,
    Like so many others on here my watch fasination has always been Divers watches! I like classic styles to something
    a little different always on the lookout, I have a number of Seikos and Citizens kicking about amongst others
    the problem is I have a load of quartz watches in need of batteries so heres the thing, I took one of my watches to a local
    Jewelers/pawn broker/watch maker and had the battery replaced cost about £5? and they said that they couldn't garantee
    that it would be waterproof anymore, that was fine with me I haven't dived for a number of years and the watch in question
    is a beater anyway (Tauchmiester 1000m T0078), now some of my better watches none are particuarly expensive
    do i chance having a cheap battery change and knackering it say snorkeling or swimming pool useage?, would you expect
    it to be ok for this type of use?, I have 3 or 4 promasters/Aqualands and was quoted about £50 each for battery change and proofing
    and sent away to Citizen, as for Marathon where the hell would I send that when it needs a battery?,
    So what do you guys do with yours?http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=1#

Help much appreciated

Danny.

Craftsman

Re: Noob question, sorry!

One drop of water can ruin your watch .

I do the battery changes myself. (ok, have to admit..I have a vacuum and pressuretester)
    I am pretty picky in these items and have seen to often that gaskets are not placed accurately and the watch will fail a waterresistance test, not even a 1 meter test.
    I am not sure about this but I guess the stores who do the quick battery replacements often don't know what they are doing. They don't perform any waterresistance tests.
    A good watchmaker does know what he is doing and is worth the money in my opinion.

I never heard complains about the Citizen service centers, obviously as a lot of people use the promasters as real Dive watches.

You can take the risk with a 10 pound watch, but with expensive watches ..I wouldn't take the risk.

Something else with batteries, often overlooked..when a quartz watch runs out of the battery, replace it as soon as possible or take the battery out. Empty batteries can leak and damage the movement.

Most Watch Hut type emporia are able to pressure test to 100m. If you want the watches resealed properly then you can either do it yourself (gulp!) or send/take it to a proper watchmaker at appropriate cost (£50?).

Have one watch done by a watchmaker and pressure tested. That's your diving/swimming watch.

Buy a case opener and do the rest yourself.

Simples. :wink:
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Cheers for the advice guys,
    Had a quick search on the net and found a place
    called watchdoctors, they do battery change reseal
    and waterproof test for about £25 (awaiting email quote)
    Has anyone used them can recommend?.

Regards,
    Danny.