closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: wanna buy a nice knife

wanna buy a nice knife

Looking to buy a birthday present for my father in law. I'm after a nice small folding/pocket knife. Must be strong and functional as my old man, a retired Farmer uses his knife for anything really. Must not cost a fortune and has to be delivered to the Netherlands. At first i was thinking about a leatherman but i'm not sure their knifes are any good.
    When the price is right i might buy one myself :)

Re: wanna buy a nice knife

Depending on budget, but the Fallkniven U1 is superb and highly-rated pocket knife, around GBP£120 :)

HERE

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

i dont have a link but have a look at langioul (sp) french folders with a bee on the back, classic knives

mike

great advice but 120 is a sound price for such a quality knife but i'm looking for something gesp expensive. ;)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    i dont have a link but have a look at langioul (sp) french folders with a bee on the back, classic knives

mike
    'Laguiole' is the brand Mike's referring to and I agree they're good quality and worth a look

Master

I use a Buck Knife everyday. The blade steel seems to be alot stronger and holds an edge better than most. When I broke the blade a couple of times prying things open they fixed it for free. I've been using a Buck knife for over twenty five years daily as an electrician and love it. I beleive you can get one delivered to the Netherlands and they should be reasonable.

A Buck 110 Hunter is a quality tool knife, it comes with a leather sheath for wearing on a belt.

A truley functional daily use knife, that will last forever and should be available in the UK for around £50.

If quality on a budget is what you are looking for, i'd go for an Opinel for the rural look or a SRM 710 or Volcan Coronado if the look you require is more contemporary. All these knives have been used by me and acquitted themselves excellently and all are available for less than £20!

where can i buy them?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Depending on budget, but the Fallkniven U1 is superb and highly-rated pocket knife, around GBP£120 :)

HERE
    Dang, you have good taste! .....in knives too! :mrgreen:

Hardly gets any better than a Fällkniven.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard
    A Buck 110 Hunter is a quality tool knife, it comes with a leather sheath for wearing on a belt.

A truley functional daily use knife, that will last forever and should be available in the UK for around £50.

The 110 is a fantastic folder. Mine is close to 30 years old and still great.

Blog Entries

a knife thread with no jimp?what's going on :D another thumbs up for Fallkniven but i have a U2 which has done me fine,unbelievably sharp

mick

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mark996

mike
    'Laguiole' is the brand Mike's referring to and I agree they're good quality and worth a look
    Laguiole is a style of knife, not a brand :wink: . I have one of these: http://www.fontenille-pataud.com/laguio ... 39xuk.html - lovely knife but I'm not sure it'd be an ideal "working" knife. Maybe some of their others would fit the bill better.

I've ordered a couple of things from Fontenille Pataud and they're very pleasant to deal with.

cant go wrong with an opinel. no point buying anything else unless youre a fetishist.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman

If you are anywhere near Amsterdam, try "The Old Man" on the steet to the right of the Krasnapolski, off Dam Square. Dam Straat? They have quality and budget knives upstairs.
    Regards, Jon.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyblackbeard

The 110 is a fantastic folder. Mine is close to 30 years old and still great.
    I was on a business trip in Ohio recently and my host - our US sales rep - took me to a local shooting range as I wanted to buy myself a USA folder as a momento. Buck was the obvious choice but all of them had significant blade wobble and were very disappointing - quality seems to have decreased recently. I tried a Benchmade folder and it was superb. I recommend anything they make.

FWIW, the blades on Leatherman tools sharpen well and hold an edge, in my experience. I've had the original tool since 1991 and it still gets used.

leatherman are nice but my father in law is a retired farmer so his hands and fingers are huge. He couldn't handle such a tool. Isn't there some kind of simple version available with the emphasis on a good blade but with some tools attached?

Master

I've also had excellent experiences with the Opinel. Size 8 is a good all-round size for cooking or in the field. I've taken it to many places, cooked in the kitchen of friends where it is sometimes good to have a knife that can be relied upon to be sharp, yet too hunting and fishing where it can do all that is, I've found, required- such as slicing through the head of a bass or pike - and good-sized fish, to filleting them and also beef, jointing a duck and similarly chickens.

The slicing effectiveness of the opinel is very highly rated. As such they are also excellent for tearing through smoothly, rope or fishing line or really quite tough surfaces. The can be found with different wood handles to suit as well as the usual wood.

Good luck and best wishes,

AP.

Master

Seen the Benchmade knife currently on SC ?

Do you want it to have a locking blade or slipjoint?

I used to have a U1 but is was quite uncomfortable in hand and pocket. Much prefer the U2 which is locking, cheaper, more comfortable and brilliant steel blade.

Regarding slipjoints, my favourite is the spyderdo UKPK. The recently released urban is worth looking at but £100 +

If too pricey look at Spyderco's Byrd range which although made in China are are very good quality for the price. The Spyderco persistence and tenacious are brilliant lockers for under £40

Have a look at Heinnie Hayes website. Renouned for their excellent service and will post worldwide.

http://www.heinnie.com/default.asp?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    I use a Buck Knife everyday. The blade steel seems to be alot stronger and holds an edge better than most. When I broke the blade a couple of times prying things open they fixed it for free. I've been using a Buck knife for over twenty five years daily as an electrician and love it. I beleive you can get one delivered to the Netherlands and they should be reasonable.
    I'm a big fan of Buck knives. Had one for years that was as sharp as the day it was new. The first time I used it was to cut open a can of aviation oil, pre flight. We didn't have a can opener. :lol:

One of the guy's on BB is selling SRM T21's for £11.00 posted. One larger main blade, a can opener, seat belt cutter and glass breaker on the other end. Nice knives and just over a tenner posted in UK. If your interested, drop me a PM but be quick, i can't see them hanging around at this price!

Thanks for the advice some of you gave me. i've ordered a SRM (actually 2) and i'm anxious to learn more about knives.

Srm seem to be suprising people at the mo , i've got the one that looks like a small sebbie , it's really nice and easily worth double what they sell for in my opinion

Thomas Reid

I wanted to buy an (inexpensive) knife as well. The couple I still have from the USA aren't legal to carry here. The Gerber from my USCG days is locking (for safety reasons), and the DH Russell belt knife is fixed.

By gosh there are a lot of knives out there! And lots of brands I've never heard of. After a not very careful look at things, I decided on a German Eye Sodbuster. I like the name. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

By gosh there are a lot of knives out there! And lots of brands I've never heard of. After a not very careful look at things, I decided on a German Eye Sodbuster. I like the name. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    And a good choice you made. I like Sodbusters, they are simple and clean in design, nothing fancy, just a useful knife. (I had a German Eye one, they're quite nice.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Just checked out the heinnie site and ordered an optinel size 8 and a spyderco grasshopper.

Damn these discussions, I didn't even want a penknife fifteen minutes ago. :!:

Thomas Reid

This is the first pocket knife I've bought in a long time. It is fairly tidy, and reasonably priced. However, other things being equal, I would have preferred it if the blade didn't have all that writing on it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

mike
    Laguiole is a style of knife, not a brand :wink: .
    No, it's a brand :wink: It's an old French manufacturer of knives, famous for its use of a bee logo. Have a look at http://www.laguiole-France.com.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger

mike
    Laguiole is a style of knife, not a brand :wink: .
    No, it's a brand :wink: It's an old French manufacturer of knives, famous for its use of a bee logo. Have a look at http://www.laguiole-France.com.
    Laguiole is first and foremost a style of knife.

The word "Laguiole" is a generic term, not legally restricted to any one company or place of manufacture. Such knives are produced by a number of unrelated companies in southern France, some 70% of production coming from Thiers, a long-established centre of the cutlery industry.
    That a firm happens to call itself by that name is neither here nor there - I could make and sell Laguiole knives myself, if I had the time, inclination and skill. If you meant a brand called Laguiole, it would have been helpful to say so as there are dozens if not hundreds of firms making Laguiole knives, ranging from cheap and nasty to quite excellent. Saying "buy a Laguiole" is a little like saying "buy a car". Personally, I quite like these: http://www.fontenille-pataud.com/indexuk.php - in addition to the folders, the steak knives are excellent.

http://www.lafermedelamer.com/Laguiole/ ... guiole.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laguiole_knife