closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines Trench

Longines Trench

Hi all

As you probably know, I've been looking for a nice trench watch for a while. Bought a few over the last couple of months, but nothing really special. Today, however, I received this in a trade. Longines, 35mm silver case, from 1915. Beautiful :lol:

Cheers

Foggy

Magnificent find Foggy, that's beautiful. I've seriously considered an hommage to trench watches.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Foggy, that really is beautiful!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Thomas Reid
    Very nice indeed, Foggy!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Wow that is beautiful just looks so smart and tidy great addition to your collection Foggy.
    Paul. :)

PRS 10/14/53
    GMT 2 Sinn 142 zeno Tdm DS3

Journeyman
    Put me down for one, Eddie, just like that one.
    Regards, Jon.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    I can't imagine that you'd find a better one.

Quality of materials, fine movements, and integrity of construction seems to have ensured that these watches are still available in quantity, and good condition.

It has always amazed me, given the quality of the movements in these watches, and the fact that they are often in precious metal cases, that they don't cost a lot more than they do.

In terms of watchmaking perfection, and history, as well as quality and desireability, they offer more value for money than just about anything else I know,

I have a sneaking suspicion however, that the watch collecting fraternity may soon too, realise what is available in this field of collecting, and that prices may rise.

They are unfashionable at the moment, but we all know how fickle fashion can be.

Great looking watch Foggy !

Eddie, how serious are you on the Hommage ? I think that it is a great idea to do something like that , as the Trench Watches were the first "tool" watches are the not ?

An Hommage would be a great addition to your line of watches.

David

This 'hommage' business is starting to annoy me. An hommage to this, and an hommage to that. It's fine as far as it goes, and it certainly sounds better than replica.

The Dreadnought was new, and fresh, original, brilliantly designed and executed, well received, and well reviewed. It was a new design. It was certainly not an hommage to anything, except it's designer.

The PRS 14 I agree paid a nod to the Omega 300, but it was NOT a copy, it was different. It was an old design, bought up to date, and again, all due to Eddie's hard work.

The rest of the PRS range are the same. None are copies, but all are similar in style to watches that in their own way added to the rich history of watchmaking.

There really is not a lot that is new in watch design. We have round, square, carre', rectangular and even diamond shaped watches. What they all have in common, are a minimum of at least one hand to indicate the time. Most have two, or three , and some have twenty! All have a movement capable of regulating the movement of the hour hand round the dial in 12 hrs, and the minute hand in 60.

All watches do this. Yet we do not suppose they are copies of the first watch? Are they 'Hommages'?

Every watch made has something 'unique'. The name on the dial. To copy that onto another watch is wrong. We all know that. None here would buy one.

If Eddie designs a watch, and put's his name on the dial, should we call it 'hommage'. I think not it is an original design, with Eddies brand on the dial, and it should stand on it's own merits.

All the great designs have been copied in the past. Rolex, Breitling, IWC, and JLC designs have spawned many copies, by many well established makers. Do they call them 'hommage'? Not a chance.

I think that the word 'Hommage' has been hijacked by fakers and copiers, who use the word to justify (at least in their own minds) their illegal copying of designs and trademarks.

Eddie does not do this!

Eddie, if you want to produce a watch that looks like a WW1 trench watch, then do it. You will no doubt do a great job, as always. But let it stand proud, with your name on the dial. It is an Eddie Platts/Timefactors original.

I would be proud to wear it, and not because it was an hommage to a trench watch.

This is the one that got me thinking about making a trench watch, unfortunately I was outtbid on this one. :(

[img]/zenith1.jpg[/img]

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    That's a fantastic watch, Foggy. To think it's 90 years old 8)...

Cheers,
    Gert

:D :D :D

john

PS I saw this today
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Thomas Reid
    I like the khaki, weather beaten, dust in your face, colour of the AW (of O&W fame) dial. It would be even better without all that silly writing on it. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Re: Longines Trench

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    Hi all

As you probably know, I've been looking for a nice trench watch for a while. Bought a few over the last couple of months, but nothing really special. Today, however, I received this in a trade. Longines, 35mm silver case, from 1915. Beautiful :lol:

Cheers

Foggy
    Wonderful! Just wonderful.

However, each time I see one, I think of the men who died wearing them.

Sorry to say this, but the connection is inevitable.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    This 'hommage' business is starting to annoy me. An hommage to this, and an hommage to that . .
    . . . and BTW there is no such word as "hommage" :shock: (in Webster's anyway). The other possibility, "homage" seems not to be used in the same way, being more to do with deference to a person rather than a company or an object.

Could go on for hours, but Wifey says "supper is ready" so 'bye!

Thomas Reid

Re: Longines Trench

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker

However, each time I see one, I think of the men who died wearing them.

Sorry to say this, but the connection is inevitable.
    This made me recall a passage in a novel, Other Paths to Glory by Anthony Price, where a researcher is in a quiet basement library looking at documents concerning a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Price
    ... it was here that he discovered the difference between silence and tranquility. He had been prepared for the dull days, when never a thought came to him unstamped by its passage through some other brain, and by now he was far too old a hand at the game to hope for anything spectacular. What he had not expected and what still ambushed him were the moments like this, when the weight of death and pain in the piles of dusty papers and long-forgotten diaries suddenly closed in crushingly on him, destroying his critical ability and breaking down his discipline and training.
    Such moments sneak up on one.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    This is the one that got me thinking about making a trench watch, unfortunately I was outtbid on this one. :(

[img]/zenith1.jpg[/img]

Eddie
    wow, is that an early hommage of foggys Longines trench watch :roll: ?

Hi guys,

Here is one from Poljot International.

I have handled this one, nice watch, with a decorated Poljot movement.

David

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    This 'hommage' business is starting to annoy me. An hommage to this, and an hommage to that . .
    . . . and BTW there is no such word as "hommage" :shock: (in Webster's anyway). The other possibility, "homage" seems not to be used in the same way, being more to do with deference to a person rather than a company or an object.

"Hommage" is French and has crept into watch parlance in much the same way as people say "reserve de marche" instead of "power reserve" or "rattrapante" instead of "split seconds". I'm going to stop using it. :twisted:

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

[img]/zenith1.jpg[/img]

Eddie
    wow, is that an early hommage of foggys Longines trench watch :roll: ?
    It could be Red, the Zenith dates from 1919.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA

Hello,

Hommage as a word does not exist??

Look at it this way, Gooogle has 2,180,000 yes, over two million entries, for this particular word, and the dozen or so I looked at used the word in exactly the same context as I did.

Even given that I spelled it incorrectly, which I didn't, what is more important, the post, the issue, or a spelling mistake?? :wink:

Foggy, THAT is one seriously stunning watch. :) What did you trade for it?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

What did you trade for it?
    Unfortunately, not a Timex :lol:

I won't say what I traded it for, in fairness to the other party concerned, but it did cost me £325. It wasn't getting any wrist time and I figured I'd never find a nicer example of this Longines. Best of all, we were both happy with the trade, and that's what makes this hobby such fun :wink:

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    Best of all, we were both happy with the trade, and that's what makes this hobby such fun :wink:

Cheers

Foggy
    Then you both got a bargain :) Which is the way all trades should be :) :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

:D :D :D

john

PS I saw this today
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Master
    Very very nice Longines, Ian. The best looking example of its type I've seen. The dial and lume look superb.
    Congratulations!
    Si