closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How long will a CWC G10 run for before a flat battery?

How long will a CWC G10 run for before a flat battery?

Hi,
    All of my CWC G10 quartz watches have new silver oxide batteries in. I have not had them long enough to experience a flat battery. I also find it amazing that a number of the watches that I have bought have been fitted with the wrong battery and so the battery hatch does not fit flush with the case.
    How long should they last before the batteries run down and will require replacing?
    Will it make a difference depending on the battery size as the oldest models had the largest batteries?
    Maybe the mechanism on the later models is more efficient which is why the battery size is smaller?
    All info welcomed.

Peter

Re: How long will a CWC G10 run for before a flat battery?

Not sure about the G10, but my SBS lasted 6 years on its original battery. Another 6 months after the battery low indicator started before I changed it, and it was still running and keeping perfect time :)

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

The advertised battery life for that type of battery is 36 months.

You may get more, but should not get less.

All of the movements used, regarless of battery type had an expected battery life of 3 years...

Thanks for the relies, so they should be good for 3 years, seems OK.
    The watches that I have either had a new battery fitted or had a flat battery. Is there a low battery indicator on the CWC G10 so I know the battery is no the way out?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Thanks for the relies, so they should be good for 3 years, seems OK.
    The watches that I have either had a new battery fitted or had a flat battery. Is there a low battery indicator on the CWC G10 so I know the battery is no the way out?

Peter
    The second hand should start to move in 4 second increments to show a low battery. It'll still keep perfect time while doing this, well my one does anyway.

I apologise for bringing this old threat up, I need some help in choosing the right battery for my CWC 0552/6645-99, any advice on the right battery will be appreciated! And also advice on the best place in UK to purchase the battery?

Happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by satosatomi View Post
    I apologise for bringing this old threat up, I need some help in choosing the right battery for my CWC 0552/6645-99, any advice on the right battery will be appreciated! And also advice on the best place in UK to purchase the battery?

Happy new year!
    Try Silvermans.

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/brand-cwc

Knowing how old it is would help
    What is the the date?
    How old is the watch? Different movements were used at different times so different batteries are needed
    There should be a number that states the year of issue e.g. 1017/96 = 1996 or 0046/87 = 1987 etc.
    I would guess a 371 would do the job though

Grand Master
    With all due respect, if you don’t know how to find which battery the watch requires perhaps you shouldn’t be attempting to change it yourself!

I’ve no idea which movement is fitted and I can’t be bothered looking it up, but the movement identification will be stamped on the mainplate somewhere. Usually its obvious whether the battery fitted is correct or not, if all looks OK simply fit a similar replacement.

I’ve lost count of the number of quartz watches I’ve worked on where dirt has entered the movement and stopped the watch, dirt invariably gets in when someone swaps the battery carelessly. Cleaning the case prior to removing casebacks or battery hatches is vital to avoid this, but the guys who are trying to save a few ££ doing it themselves don’t bother and things often go pear- shaped.

Its also worth checking seals when disturbing them, a repairer will usually have replacements to hand and fit new seals if the old ones look poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Knowing how old it is would help
    What is the the date?
    How old is the watch? Different movements were used at different times so different batteries are needed
    There should be a number that states the year of issue e.g. 1017/96 = 1996 or 0046/87 = 1987 etc.
    I would guess a 371 would do the job though
    Many thanks for the reply.
    It’s a 1990. It’s says:
    CWC 0552/6645-99

371 is the right battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by satosatomi View Post
    Many thanks for the reply.
    It’s a 1990. It’s says:
    CWC 0552/6645-99

371 is the right battery?
    Yes I think a 371 is right for a 1990 watch

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    With all due respect, if you don’t know how to find which battery the watch requires perhaps you shouldn’t be attempting to change it yourself!

I’ve no idea which movement is fitted and I can’t be bothered looking it up, but the movement identification will be stamped on the mainplate somewhere. Usually its obvious whether the battery fitted is correct or not, if all looks OK simply fit a similar replacement.

I’ve lost count of the number of quartz watches I’ve worked on where dirt has entered the movement and stopped the watch, dirt invariably gets in when someone swaps the battery carelessly. Cleaning the case prior to removing casebacks or battery hatches is vital to avoid this, but the guys who are trying to save a few ££ doing it themselves don’t bother and things often go pear- shaped.

Its also worth checking seals when disturbing them, a repairer will usually have replacements to hand and fit new seals if the old ones look poor.

You are correct on the majority of watches but for a CWC g10 you will not see the movement number on the main plate as you don’t remove the case back to change the battery.
    There is a small hatch to allow you to replace the battery without taking the back off. (Reducing the chance of gunk getting in the watch)
    The easiest way to open the hatch is to use a 1 penny piece, no tools needed. In fact the watch was designed to allow the owner to change the battery themselves.

A 1990 watch should be fitted with an ETA 955.114 movement for which the 371 would be correct.

Martin

Sent from my LG-H930 using TZ-UK mobile app

The easiest way to open the hatch is to use a 1 penny piece, no tools needed. In fact the watch was designed to allow the owner to change the battery themselves.
    You learn something new every day on TZ-UK; I had no idea that Brenda changed the batteries on every issued G10 .
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You learn something new every day on TZ-UK; I had no idea that Brenda changed the batteries on every issued G10 .
    She was very busy!

Should be a 371 battery. There is a spacer (battery limiting plate) inside...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1391434

This plate goes over the top of the battery with tangs down and radial spikey bits going up. The last post on that thread said it shouldn’t be there, but in my freshly issued watch it was definitely present, so I think he’s wrong on that. Maybe someone with more knowledge can expand on that.

I’m no expert, but changing the battery was very easy on the CWC opening the hatch with a coin. I made sure I used a bit of silicone grease on the seals when I closed it.
    Last edited by Christian; 9th January 2020 at 13:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Why not just ask CWC????
    As was suggested earlier in the thread.

However there are obviously people on here that could provide the answer he required and it generated a bit of conversation over and above the usual Rolex tosh.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 9th January 2020 at 18:44.

Grand Master
    There are charts on line that list all battery sizes and cross- references for the different numbering, this can be useful if the wrong battery is fitted and a thinner ( or deeper) version is needed.

I don’t stock batteries, apart from a few cheap chinese ones for testing, batteries have a shelf life and you need to buy in packs of 10 from Cousins to get value, instead I buy Varta or Rayovac from my local jeweller at £2 a time. There are folks selling batteries on ebay for similar prices, that can be more convenient.

Don’t be tempted to fit cheapo Chinese batteries that are available from pound shops etc, they’re OK for testing but they don’t last and they've a tendancy to leak.

When a watch stops everyone assumes its the battery that’s expired, but sometimes its a fault with the movement or the movement needs cleaning and oiling.

You are correct on the majority of watches but for a CWC g10 you will not see the movement number on the main plate as you don’t remove the case back to change the battery.
    There is a small hatch to allow you to replace the battery without taking the back off. (Reducing the chance of gunk getting in the watch)
    You are correct, it’s the one with a small hatch at the back.
    Many thanks again for all the replies and advices, I have ordered several 371s, looking forward to wearing the CWC again.