closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which 'fun' estate car?

Which 'fun' estate car?

Guys,
    Will be losing my company car in the not too distance future, so need to think about getting something else.

Currently have a 3 door Golf GT TDi (170bhp) but will need something bigger, so have been thinking about either the Octavia VRS, Mazda 6 Sport (wish they did the MPS in the estate!!) or the Mondeo ST estate.

Needs to be an estate as I need to get my dive kit (possibly 2 sets), a wheelchair, and luggage in the boot (not necessarily all together), it must be no more then £20k (new or used) and no more than 3 years old.

Anyone got any other suggestions or recommendations for the above?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Re: Which 'fun' estate car?

I think the mazda , the skoda and the mondeo are all good choices - but what have you thought about a saab? try putting that into the mix.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I have the latest version of the Mazda 6 Sport 180 - well impressed.

Tons of room and a great spec. Flying machine that has averaged 39.3 mpg since I got it (2790 miles on the clock so will improve).

Boot area is huge - the earlier version is not significantly different since the latest genre is only a facelift which is subtly different but essentially the same car.

Hope this helps.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Alfa 159 Sportswagon - the best looking medium sized estate by a mile.

I have had one for 3 years from new, and it never fails to stun me with its looks. Completely reliable aswell.

The only downside is that I suspect it is a little small for your needs.

Pete

And the fact that it looses 90% of it's value within the first 10 minutes of ownership :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    Alfa 159 Sportswagon - the best looking medium sized estate by a mile.

I have had one for 3 years from new, and it never fails to stun me with its looks. Completely reliable aswell.

The only downside is that I suspect it is a little small for your needs.

Pete

How about a BMW 3 series touring. £20k should get you a 325d - rear wheel drive, plenty of poke and reasonably economical to run.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I've got an Octavia Vrs estate..... can't say anything bad about it. Loads of room,good performance and hasn't had a thing wrong in 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ol1
    How about a BMW 3 series touring. £20k should get you a 325d - rear wheel drive, plenty of poke and reasonably economical to run.
    Unless it's loaded, then the spec's tend to be off with the market in my experience - if you are happy to take a higher mileageone then the options are better.

Master

Accept a slight compromise on age and go for an original RS6. I was in a 2004 70k mile one the other day and it felt better put together and more solid inside than most new cars. It is also earth shatteringly fast. Fear the tyre and brake bills though... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Accept a slight compromise on age and go for an original RS6. I was in a 2004 70k mile one the other day and it felt better put together and more solid inside than most new cars. It is also earth shatteringly fast. Fear the tyre and brake bills though... :shock:
    Perhaps my next car Cliff - looking for a lower mileage one but having had a spin in a 58 plate the other day I am hooked :D

Suspect it is slightly above the OP's budget though

Master

Watch the world go backwards...
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1812415.htm

How about a Volvo T6?

Master

Subaru Impreza Sportwagon?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ol1
    Unless it's loaded, then the spec's tend to be off with the market in my experience - if you are happy to take a higher mileageone then the options are better.
    That's true, although while the BMW's appeal is long-lasting from behind the driver's seat (brilliant engines, economy, rear-wheel drive), the older the car and the more complex the electronics, the more there is to go wrong. The 3er is not a bad as the bigger BMWs in this respect, but expect stuff to break, seize up, fall off etc. unless you "flip" it in short order.

Rather like watches, really ;).

(I also like the idea of the Octavia. De-badge it and you have a great stealth machine...)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Blog Entries

Chris, take a look a this - the new Skoda Superb - it looks the business :wink:
    they are getting rave reports in Europe where they have been available for longer (as ofc LHD !)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... ype/estate

My family have 5 Skodas and swear by them - their build quality is now reported higher than VW Wolfsburg, as the Czecks have 'higher pride levels of production' it states....
    Tons of space - good luck !
    Peter

Cheers for the replys guys.
    A couple of things, as we are having our cars taken off us we're going on to the 'cash for car' scheme (monthly allowance) so the car needs to be suitable for the business - the main criteria being it can't be more than a max of 5 years old at time of purchase.
    To be honest I don't really want to be looking at 5 year old cars so looking at max 3 years old - which kind of rules out the Audi RS6 (which I would dearly love!!) with my £20k budget!
    Would prefer a diesel due to fuel consumption, plus I love torquey hi-powered diesels - my golf can keep up with my mates Civic Type R in the mid range :wink:
    Not so keen on the Saabs - the headlight surrounds looks like Dame Edna Everage glasses :lol: and can't help feeling they might not be around much longer.

Chris in the UK - is your Mazda the diesel? how do you find it spec wise? looked at the brochure and seems quite highly specced in sport trim.

Village - how are you finding the VRS?

Thanks again.

Chris

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W

Village - how are you finding the VRS?

Thanks again.

Chris
    I've had mine 3.5 years....never gone wrong in all that time.All it's needed is new tyres and brakes so usual running costs.
    Its very comfortable to drive (i'm 6'6" and it's rare that i don't need to put the seat right back...and a proper adult can sit behind me comfortably),has a cavernous boot and performance is good..torquey engine and especially good on motorways. I've got the diesel version...economy excellent...a small degree of diesel lag but then it's a diesel! You can get loads of extras for not a lot as well......i'm that happy with it that when the lease runs out in January i will almost certainly replace it with another (or the Superb).

Added bonus is that tea-leafs suffer from badge snobbery.....i parked it next to my brother in laws BMW...guess which one they stripped of wheels,gadgets,everything and which one they didn't 8)

Looking on autotrader they have a Volvo V70 2.4 D5 SE (185ps, from 06/2009 they have 205ps) 2008 on a 58 with 14k miles in silver for £18k. Superchips do a re-map that gives an extra 30BHP and 73NM - 54Lb/Ft torque. Plenty of these to choose from as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    AND the fuel bills.... :wink:

Blog Entries

Isn't Mazda & Ford more or less the same car with Ford's partial (controlling ?) ownership ?

Hi Chris

Presume you're a fellow "YD'er" as I saw your post on there earlier ? My dive truck is an old Land Rover, but wouldn't recommend one for anything other than throwing wet gear in the back of and launching a boat over the beach. The oil slick underneath her is second only to the BP Gulf disaster.

Good luck in your search
    Dave

mondeo, vauxhall insignia. Alfa.

Master

Best car i have ever owned and this is my 27th car

Craftsman

I have an Audi 1.8T sport avant and love it, tons of room in the boot and seats fold flat so room a-plenty, best car I've had by a country mile :)

Thanks for all the replys chaps.
    Think I'm gonna line up a few test drives.
    Hadn't really considered the Scooby - but will have a look.
    Thanks again!

Master

I bought a new Golf estate 2.0TD last year. It's a fantastic car, quick when I need it to be and uber-economical when driving with a lighter foot. I'm gob-smacked by the fuel thrift and I've achieved over 70mpg on a 40 mile run (@60mph) and an average 55mpg over 12K miles since new. Servicing is also very cheap, I bought a 3 year VW package for £250 so basically 3 years driving on a known budget.

My previous car was a C Class Merc bought as an approved used car from my local MB dealer. Nothing but trouble, cost me more than £5k in repairs in just over 2 years.

Not sure the boot is quite big enough for a wheelchair and 2 dive sets but it fits a labrador and luggage for 4 for a weeks hols.

Master

Scooby legacy spec B tourer would be high on my list and available for peanuts.

Master
    Blog Entries

I've always been an advocate of the V70 T5R, looks the business and the Police use it for miles and miles. They are fully loaded, have a nice bodykit and shift!!! :D

Master

Been reading and nobody has mentioned the Citroen C5 - mate at work has one and looks the mutts.

I also like the look of the new Honda Accord - never driven one, or even sat in one, but looks 8)

Thanks again for the reply's - think I'm heading toward the Skoda or the Mazda at the moment - based on costs and standard specs.

Manx Diver - yep a fellow YD'er - would love an old landy, but haven't got the room and running 2 cars is gonna be a pain (going to have to sell my TVR too - currently in a state of semi-dismantlement).

Master

Not an estate per se but very flexible luggage space (false floor, sliding & fold flat rear seats, etc.) - Seat Altea.

We're on our second - we had our first for 3 years (140bhp TDi Sport) and last year upgraded to a year old 170bhp TRi FR model.

Definitely worth a look as:

a) Good luggage space
    b) More like a big hatch than an estate
    c) V. torqey diesel engine (VW PD engine)
    d) Sporty
    e) Well put together (VW company)

Our new one's like this (though ours is black... 8) ):

Alternatively, another vote for the Skoda Octavia VRS, here...

Cheers,

Guy :)

Thanks Guy - will look at that too.
    Anyone got a Ford S-Max? notice they do that with the 2.5 Petrol Turbo lump...... :wink:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W
    Thanks again for the reply's - think I'm heading toward the Skoda or the Mazda at the moment - based on costs and standard specs.

Manx Diver - yep a fellow YD'er - would love an old landy, but haven't got the room and running 2 cars is gonna be a pain (going to have to sell my TVR too - currently in a state of semi-dismantlement).
    Chris,
    if you do get to look/try the Skoda Superb would appreciate your comments ! My brother is considering replacing his Octavia with the Superb Est.
    Cheers, Peter

with my £20k budget!
    Would prefer a diesel due to fuel consumption, plus I love torquey hi-powered diesels
    I've got one of these, 3l V6 Merc diesel engine, nice and torquey.....

Chris in the UK - is your Mazda the diesel? how do you find it spec wise? looked at the brochure and seems quite highly specced in sport trim.
    It is :)

Spec is very good:-

18" alloy wheels
    Partial leather / cloth seats
    Heated front seats (Low & high settings)
    BOSE audio system including 8 speakers & subwoofer in rear
    6-CD Changer
    Bi-Xenon headlights with active front lighting
    Smart keyless entry Start / Stop button
    Tyre pressure monitoring system
    Blackout meter set
    Soft covered sliding centre armrest
    Sports grill
    Alloy pedal set
    Privacy glass in rear and rear side windows

It is really good for the money and not on the tea-leaf list like some of the others.

Absolutely flies and currently averaging 39mpg but it's only got 2500 miles on it so I expect this to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    It is :)

Spec is very good:-

18" alloy wheels
    Partial leather / cloth seats
    Heated front seats (Low & high settings)
    BOSE audio system including 8 speakers & subwoofer in rear
    6-CD Changer
    Bi-Xenon headlights with active front lighting
    Smart keyless entry Start / Stop button
    Tyre pressure monitoring system
    Blackout meter set
    Soft covered sliding centre armrest
    Sports grill
    Alloy pedal set
    Privacy glass in rear and rear side windows

It is really good for the money and not on the tea-leaf list like some of the others.

Absolutely flies and currently averaging 39mpg but it's only got 2500 miles on it so I expect this to improve.
    Cheers for that :thumbright:
    Looking at booking a test drive in the coming weeks.