closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any New Quartz Divers Planned Eddie? PRS3Q Please

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Although I'm no longer interested, I'll give this it's (slightly late) annual bump.

Dude, it's only been three years. The Quartz Diver will appear eventually.

Yes please, pretty sure it would be a hit. I've been transitioning to quartz recently but high quality ones in this price range are pretty hard to find apart from Citizens/Seikos etc. Most micro brands only care about automatics.

Did someone mention quartz diver? Just wondering how many years left till this one may appear?

Master
    You could always try the PRS 18 Q fantastic bit of kit.
    paul.

Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    You could always try the PRS 18 Q fantastic bit of kit.
    paul.
    Agreed. I have had two.... Hoping for something with a slightly larger diameter dial and different hands... Or ill have to buy some glasses sooner than i had hoped.

With the recent new releases this most likely isn't high priority, but I figured this thread deserves a bump nonetheless.
    I'm sure there's still a lot of love for the PRS-3Q.

Craftsman
    I thought I would bump this after missing the Broadarrow PRS3 on SC (sure I wasn't the only one who tried to buy it).

Please make this again Eddie! I think the demand for the Broadarrows shows this could be a great seller.

I would love another choice of quartz diver since I found the PRS18Q a bit sharp on my bony wrist and would like something thinner.

Craftsman
    You only have to see the speed that a PRS3 Q sells for on SC to see there is a demand for a decent quartz diver with a date window.

As far as I am aware the only readily available, sensibly sized 300m quartz diver (less than 50mm lug to lug), with a date, sapphire crystal, and decent lume is the Seamaster and I don't think they make them any more.

You may be right but who actually needs a 300m rather than one of the very many readily available 200m divers? I know watch collecting is not about need as opposed to 'want', but even so...

Craftsman
    Fair enough, but are there any sensibly sized 200m quartz diver (less than 50mm lug to lug), with a date, sapphire crystal, and decent lume. All I can think of are the H3/Traser etc. type and they are a bit of an acquired taste. There are plenty of choices if you don't want decent lume, or a date window or a sapphire crystal.

Some of the Seikos have sapphire, and most can be modded to that effect.
    Not many of the Seikos that have caught my eye approach 50mm lug to lug.

Since starting this thread over three years ago I've yet to find an affordable diver with date, sword hands and sapphire crystal. It's a shame that Eddie appears to be focussed on automatics these days, as there's definitely a gap in the market.

Since starting this thread over three years ago I've yet to find an affordable diver with date, sword hands and sapphire crystal. It's a shame that Eddie appears to be focussed on automatics these days, as there's definitely a gap in the market.
    What he said.

It is a great shame that nobody makes an; OEM, high end, thermo-compensated, quartz movement with an independent hour hand.

If Citizen could sell the A660 calibre in a sports watch case or sell the movement to other makers, I think they would easily displace Omega from a niche currently owned the Seamaster and its vile HEV mechanism.

Its always seemed to me to be such an obvious combination to fill a gaping hole in the market.

I'd happily pay over £1000 for a watch like that.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    It is a great shame that nobody makes an; OEM, high end, thermo-compensated, quartz movement with an independent hour hand.

If Citizen could sell the A660 calibre in a sports watch case or sell the movement to other makers, I think they would easily displace Omega from a niche currently owned the Seamaster and its vile HEV mechanism.

Its always seemed to me to be such an obvious combination to fill a gaping hole in the market.

I'd happily pay over £1000 for a watch like that.
    I enquired about the A660 and Citizen told me that it was reserved for Citizen watches.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I enquired about the A660 and Citizen told me that it was reserved for Citizen watches.

Eddie
    I wonder if there is pressure from across the industry not to do it?

When you see what Seiko can knock out a decent quartz Perpetual Calendar for there must be some potential to erode the space occupied by lower end automatic movements.

I also wonder if, at that price, it would be worth cannibalising that J Spings for the Seiko movement. An military diver based on it would be entirely new and quite exciting.

This may have been covered, but I was under the impression that the ETA 255.461 is still available, but possibly not in significant volumes for very long (although I successfully added 100 of them to my basket at one US-based watch part website).
    I don't think it is thermocompensated, but hour-acking is a feature on it (Omega use it and have for ages)....

Dave

Eddie
    Its a yes from me Eddie!

^ That would do me. When's it due?

Master
    C'mon Eddie, if the people want bananas sell 'em bananas!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Its a yes from me Eddie!
    Put that 255.461 with the quickset hour hand in it, and I'm in for one...

I am definitely a customer for one of these…….I love quartz divers.

If there are no plans for a new model 3q, how achievable is an 18q with date and sword hands?

an 18q with date and sword hands?

You may want to take cover!

I'll probably cave in at some point and get a CWC. Then I'm sure the PRS-3Q will be re-released out of the blue. The next day.

There was an interesting article on Hodinkee regarding a Heuer quartz diver that apparently shares some of the same lineage as the PRS-3. Probably old news but I just stumbled across it recently. I rather like the dial and hands of the Chronosport version depicted. The retro diver market seems to be strong; I wonder if that would extend to a quartz piece. (I would certainly be in for one.)

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/marking...a-humble-heuer

Master
    Love the Heuer monnin cased divers, great read.
    Thanks.

The PRS-17 might return as a quartz but it won't be this year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    ^^^Great^^^

That's more like it!
    Last edited by dschaen81; 11th October 2014 at 21:57.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post

That's more like it!
    I love the fact this thread has been going on yeeeeeeeeeeeears.

^It may as well die now, as the PR3Q is clearly never going to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Put Smiths or Precista on the dial but keep the same hands, date and dial layout and you won't go wrong

A great watch.

(Although mine is starting to look a bit worn :( )
    I really miss this model! A reissue would be a good idea IMHO and I would be among the first to order one! Probably with the alterations mentioned above...

Blog Entries
    Every day I come to this thread.
    Maybe one day.....it will be underway.

Master
    I still miss this one...

I wonder what 2015 will bring? Here's hoping!

I am convinced that if the PRS-3Q were to make a comback, it would be a big success.

My diver itch has been scratched by a Seiko 7548, but I did notice a Broadarrow PRS3 in SC recently.

Eddie
    That would be great news!

That would be brilliant, my one has the annoying habit of stopping at random times now - battery was replaced 12 months ago when it started to no avail.

I've had the PRS-18Q (couldn't bond with it, too tall, too "blocky" and bead-basted finish not really my thing), the Precista PRS-3 (too big, esp. the 22mm lugs) and have now (at the risk of sounding like Goldie Locks, third time lucky) just acquired a Broadarrow PRS-3, which is perfect.

It's basically the CWC diver with spring bars (giving an infinite strap / bracelet options), sapphire rather than mineral glass (frankly I'd rather have plexi than m.g.) and 10 year battery life. So it's better than the CWC. Best of all, I got mine for about 65% of what a CWC would have cost me.

So, Eddie, please re-issue this as a Smiths or Precista. (Or are there copyright issues with CWC? It is a pretty close copy.)

Anyway, it's a gap in your current line-up and lots of people want a grab and go quartz tool watch.

Edit: just thought of one tiny thing that would make the "Broadarrow" PRS-3 reissue completely perfect: the aged lume as used on the PRS-82. One thing I love about old CWC divers is the way the Tritium has every so slightly yellowed. A Smiths PRS-3 as per the old Broadarrow one with vanilla lume really would be the bee's knees / cat's whiskers / dog's bollocks all in one.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 2nd January 2015 at 09:32.

Would click on order too within a heartbeat, if the "old" PRS-3 would get a rerelease. Auto-/Quartz-Option would be even better, like with the PRS-18. Heck, I would order both versions!

PRS-17Q

Eddie
    Eddie,

Any news on more PRS-17Q? Whilst I really like and own the first '17Q with the Precista 89 dial, I would love to see a new PRS-17Q with the Precista 88 dial.

Dave

I need a blue watch...

Nice looking piece

At last picked this up last month..love it!

Might have to get me one of those as well. Would rather it were a Precista though

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    I've had the PRS-18Q (couldn't bond with it, too tall, too "blocky" and bead-basted finish not really my thing), the Precista PRS-3 (too big, esp. the 22mm lugs) and have now (at the risk of sounding like Goldie Locks, third time lucky) just acquired a Broadarrow PRS-3, which is perfect.

It's basically the CWC diver with spring bars (giving an infinite strap / bracelet options), sapphire rather than mineral glass (frankly I'd rather have plexi than m.g.) and 10 year battery life. So it's better than the CWC. Best of all, I got mine for about 65% of what a CWC would have cost me.

So, Eddie, please re-issue this as a Smiths or Precista.

Anyway, it's a gap in your current line-up and lots of people want a grab and go quartz tool watch.

Edit: just thought of one tiny thing that would make the "Broadarrow" PRS-3 reissue completely perfect: the aged lume as used on the PRS-82. One thing I love about old CWC divers is the way the Tritium has every so slightly yellowed. A Smiths PRS-3 as per the old Broadarrow one with vanilla lume really would be the bee's knees / cat's whiskers / dog's bollocks all in one.
    Well if the PRS-10 thread can be resurrected . . .

Just a bump for this.

So, Eddie, please re-issue this as a Smiths or Precista. (Or are there copyright issues with CWC? It is a pretty close copy.)

Well if the PRS-10 thread can be resurrected . . .

Just a bump for this.
    Fixed bars are what set the CWC apart, these watches shouldn't be seen on fancy straps, just Natos. IMHO. ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Fixed bars are what set the CWC apart, these watches shouldn't be seen on fancy straps, just Natos. IMHO. ;-)
    ???

Spring bars take all the straps that fixed bars take (inc. NATO) but not vice versa.

I have my Broadarrow on a one-piece Perlon pull-through but could put it on any 18mm strap; not so if it were a CWC with fixies.

Anyway, the bars are the least of it -- I just think there's a market for good SS quartz diver, pref. with sapphire and date. CWC prices are silly for what you get.

Aged lume would be a bonus, too . . . .