closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any New Quartz Divers Planned Eddie? PRS3Q Please

Any New Quartz Divers Planned Eddie? PRS3Q Please

With the demise of the 17 & 18 quartz I wondered if there are plans (or indeed the demand for) a new quartz diver? A quartz version of the new PRS3 would be ideal for me and I'd be happy to pay a similar price.

Re: Any New Quartz Divers Planned Eddie?

There's always something buzzing around in my head and it was always a plan to make a PRS-3 quartz, just not happened yet.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    There's always something buzzing around in my head and it was always a plan to make a PRS-3 quartz, just not happened yet.

Eddie
    IŽll be damned. This would be the perfect grab-and-go...

Still hoping....

Yesterday, Zeno asked me when I was going to order the remainder of the Broadarrow watches. Now he knows full well that there can be no more Broadarrow and he knows full well that back in 2005, before Omega got the ruling, that I tried to order more and he said that there were no more cases and I needed to order another 300 cases if I wanted more. No way was I going to commit to another 300 watches with the decision on the Broadarrow name imminent.

Long story short: Zeno has 149 cases for the PRS-3/4 (mainly PRS-3) but the case backs need to be sterilised and engraved again (no bid deal, it's only laser-etched) and new dials are needed. Whether it will be done depends on how much it costs. It could be a Smiths quartz diver if it sounds like a plan.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It could be a Smiths quartz diver if it sounds like a plan.
    Oh yes! :D

As long as it had the same type of dial as the original, with a date, I'd be happy with either a Smiths or Precista version. I think there's a real gap in the market at the moment for this type of watch, with the only two options I'm aware of being from Ray Wong (Too cheap) and CWC (Too expensive without a sapphire crystal).

Master

would solve my WTB which is unlikely to ever be answered :-)

Yesterday, Zeno asked me when I was going to order the remainder of the Broadarrow watches. Now he knows full well that there can be no more Broadarrow and he knows full well that back in 2005, before Omega got the ruling, that I tried to order more and he said that there were no more cases and I needed to order another 300 cases if I wanted more. No way was I going to commit to another 300 watches with the decision on the Broadarrow name imminent.

Long story short: Zeno has 149 cases for the PRS-3/4 (mainly PRS-3) but the case backs need to be sterilised and engraved again (no bid deal, it's only laser-etched) and new dials are needed. Whether it will be done depends on how much it costs. It could be a Smiths quartz diver if it sounds like a plan.

Eddie

This sounds like a brainer, Eddie!

they sure must have some stock control issues over at zeno! before they had no cases and now theyve got 149? :scratch:
    bearing that aside, i think a reissue of the broadarrow prs3 under a different name would be great. how about a superquartz?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Put Smiths or Precista on the dial but keep the same hands, date and dial layout and you won't go wrong

A great watch.

(Although mine is starting to look a bit worn :( )

New dials are good news Eddie. The lume is the only weakness on my Broadarrow; In the day it is too green and at night the dial is too dim.

In that respect the creamy colour of CWC tritium wins out, even if it is uniformly useless in the dark.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    New dials are good news Eddie. The lume is the only weakness on my Broadarrow; In the day it is too green and at night the dial is too dim.

In that respect the creamy colour of CWC tritium wins out, even if it is uniformly useless in the dark.
    I had a CWC for a few days but moved it on quickly, as amongst other things the lume of the Broadarrow hands was far better, 'the creamy colour' really wasn't enough to make me keep it.

I'm not a quartz afficionado but this project sounds interesting. If it happens, perhaps a few of those 149 cases could be PVD'd?

Just an idea :D

Let's hope it can happen, and that it's as close as possible to the original, with no coloured dials, plongeur hands etc. etc.

Sounds like that would probably be a good plan, Eddie.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

:D That would be a nice thing indeed, I think it should be a Smiths though :D

Quote Originally Posted by Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade

I had a CWC for a few days but moved it on quickly, as amongst other things the lume of the Broadarrow hands was far better, 'the creamy colour' really wasn't enough to make me keep it.
    I've taken the opposite view. They are both great watches but a matt dial and creamy lume is more aesthetically pleasing and if nothing else, a watch is for looking at.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't dispute the colour match between the dial and hand lume is far better on the CWC, but the glow on the hands on the Broadarrow hands is noticeably better.

When you factor in a sapphire crystal and 10 year battery life it was a winner for me. If Eddie proceeds with using these extra cases I'm sure they get snapped up.

Craftsman

I presume Bubi will want No 69, but I'd like to register my interest in any of the other numbers.

Smiths or Precista, this will be a fantastic watch!

And with fixed bars please.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Eddie, if you need 149 posts of interest registered then here's one. Of course there'll need to be an auto version later :) but there is a definite gap in the market for a value diver, with a date and sword hands (hint)!

Not that the PRS3 isn't good value already........

Cheers
    Meat

If your making a list of interested parties put me down, if it stays original to the Broadarrow design I'll have one :D

Blog Entries

Put one in there for me also please sir!
    It would be great to see the quartz diver back on, I been recently depressed over my first ba 3 that I fooolishly let go. -i keep looking at the rn quartz fropm silvermans but well I'm tight.
    Please try an have the ten year lithium battery again.

If I had to pick the 3 over the 17 q - I'd have the 3.

Craftsman

My only dilemma is if I would want a PVD or stainless. Eddie may well solve that for me if no PVD variants are made though.

On second thoughts reagarding Precista or Smiths, I think Smiths would be better now.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A
    I presume Bubi will want No 69, but I'd like to register my interest in any of the other numbers.

Smiths or Precista, this will be a fantastic watch!

And with fixed bars please.
    I think the original cases were meant for ordinary spring bars. This was just about the only weak point of the Broadarrow PRS-3/4. I broke a spring bar (or rather it flew out to never be found) twice - once while rigging my balloon and banging it into a karabiner on the burner frame, the other time while taking off a backpack in the Paris Métro. In both cases the watch was saved as I wore it on a NATO strap (it kept dangling from the remaining spring bar). I replaced the original bars with shoulderless spring bars, which gives you almost the same resistance to 'jumping out' as a fixed bar (though not as sturdy). Shoulderless would be OK, I guess.
    FWIW, my PRS-4 (the black PVD version of the 3; it says PRS-3 on the case back) is still going strong and I wear it on every balloon flight I make. Hardly a scratch to be seen on the PVD in spite of the rough environment. The timing ring works well. And I don't mind the dial colours at all; excellent lume - as in fully readable at one hour before sunrise after ten seconds under a reading lamp before going to bed - and great readability.

Craftsman

Eddie, given the above re spring bars, that would be fine.

Any news on progress (predicts answer....)?

I am personally now wedded to the idea of a SMITHS diver.

Evenin' all... As a newbie to this (evidently esteemed) forum, may I open with the addition of my name to the list of those queuing up to buy one of these when they become a reality? Sounds like a grand idea, except it's now thrown the cat amongst my personal pigeons in that I was hell bent on getting a new CWC quartz diver. Til I chanced upon this thread. Now - do I gotta wait, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndhurst
    Now - do I gotta wait, or what?
    Get an issued CWC Quartz Diver and wait for Eddie's watch.

Apprentice

After failing miserably in getting prs-17 i think this would be the next best thing for me.
    Would prefer ordinary lugs and not too much curved crystal though.

Would like to clarify a couple of points here; probably more appropriately aimed at the BMW forum but not yet got my 25 posts up.
    I gather the CWC diver has a non-hardened glass - how susceptible is this to scratches etc? And, the lume issue - is it right that the proportion of tritium used is now significantly lower than a few years ago? This being the case, a new CWC diver would glow relatively faintly, whereas an older CWC diver will glow, er, fairly faintly also, tritium having a half life of around 13 years, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndhurst
    Would like to clarify a couple of points here; probably more appropriately aimed at the BMW forum but not yet got my 25 posts up.
    I gather the CWC diver has a non-hardened glass - how susceptible is this to scratches etc? And, the lume issue - is it right that the proportion of tritium used is now significantly lower than a few years ago? This being the case, a new CWC diver would glow relatively faintly, whereas an older CWC diver will glow, er, fairly faintly also, tritium having a half life of around 13 years, right?
    The glass is very susceptible to scratches but as these tend to be hairlines so they don't affect the usefulness of the watch. In any event the glass is a standard size and can be replaced very cheaply. The lume is feint regardless of age but it does last all night at that level and will allow you to tell the time in the dark.

There is no doubt that Eddies product will be a much "better" watch than a similar new CWC in terms of specification. It will certainly be on a par in terms of build quality too . It will also be cheaper so it is a bit of a no brainer if you have patience.

That won't stop issued CWCs being very popular simply because they have been used by the military. It might seem strange but sign's of use have no significant detriment to the value of a sound issued watch.

Cheers for that, Raysablade, most helpful. Ultimately, the most sensible suggestion was that of "buy a CWC issue quartz and wait for Eddie's to come along." So I think I will.....

For what it's worth, (and I fully expect to be shot down in flames here) why bother with putting the Precista or Smiths logo's on a watch based on something neither of these companies made? It is, clearly, a watch that stands on its own merits, so why not put some sort of "PRS" logo on the dial? The "original" had a three-letter-acronym on it, why not this one? I'm sure there's good reason that this has not yet happened, but I thort I'd ask.

Craftsman

I think a three letter logo would look too much like a fraudulent CWC (such as that other brand starting with "M"). This would not only be potentially misleading, it would associate it with the inferior watches trying to pass themselves off as CWCs, which Eddie would never do.

Mmm, you could be right....a pity, as I think it would have some appeal. Well, to me at least!

With an original PRS3 just selling on eBay for over Ł400 hopefully this will prove how much of a demand there is for a re-issue.

Craftsman

Scarcity of Broadarrow watches has influenced that price. I wouldn't expect the Smiths (or whatever) to cost that much, even with the 10 year lithium Ronda movement, but you're right it certainly indicates enthusiasm for that style. I'll have to keep a keen eye out so I don't miss out when it happens.

Master

the slightly thicker hands of the Precista are more appealing than the CWC, I'd like to see one in PVD

Whatever it's called it MUST have fixed bars.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    It can't do if I'm using the old Broadarrow cases from Zeno.

Eddie

Eddie
    I'll be quite happy with the old Zeno case Eddie. Don't need PVD, GMT, fixed bars - just a quartz PRS3 please, with same spec as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    Don't need PVD, GMT, fixed bars
    I need PVD :twisted:

Maybe just 9 out of those 149 cases? Pretty please? :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697

Eddie
    I'll be quite happy with the old Zeno case Eddie. Don't need PVD, GMT, fixed bars - just a quartz PRS3 please, with same spec as the old one.
    Like he said.

Just as per the original PRS-3 for me too, please....

Craftsman

Any updates?

Eddie

Very noice 8)

Any chance of a PVD variant?

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Very noice 8)

It depends what Zeno already has, this is just to use up the Broadarrow cases he still has (after he told me years ago they didn't have any :evil: ). I won't be getting new cases made.

Eddie

Eddie
    How far off is this Eddie? I'd almost given up on it on since I originally started this post 7 months ago. I even considered buying the auto version.

Hey, that looks good. Keep the Smiths logo to that discreet size and (IMHO) it's a winner....

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Very noice 8)

It depends what Zeno already has, this is just to use up the Broadarrow cases he still has (after he told me years ago they didn't have any :evil: ). I won't be getting new cases made.

Eddie
    Thanks. Fingers crossed then