TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 164 of 165 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165 LastLast
Results 8,151 to 8,200 of 8246

Thread: What do you drive?

Master
    Just booked a road trip for this year

5321 miles and 11 nights

Blog Entries
    So, 18 months in and my RS3 8Y had to go. I had always wanted a 5 cylinder Audi and ordered the car on the first day it was possible to do so. Then COVID happened, and then Ukraine, but eventually I took delivery and I loved the car. However, the state of roads/ pot holes, stiff suspension and ultra low profile tyres are a poor combination - as 7 tyres in 17 months (13,000 miles) testified - and the tyres do not come cheap. Add to this an insurance quote increasing from £890 to £3,995 (I’m nearly 58 with full no claims, the vehicle had a ghost fitted, was parked off road etc etc), and my elderly Father’s and Mother in law’s health both taking a turn for the worse and it became clear to me I needed something slightly more sensible.
    I looked at full electric - particularly the Smart #1 Brabus - but couldn’t convince myself to go ‘full electric’.
    I wanted something different and then came upon the new Alfa Romeo Tonale Q4 PHev, perhaps now was my time to take the Alfa plunge. I know Alfa purists will scream and gnash but to me the car just looks ‘prettier’ than other crossovers in its class. Test drive arranged, same with wife in tow, and car bought. Very different to the RS3 but still plenty of grunt for overtaking and a nippy initial take off.
    There were two ‘options’ that were in my mind obligatory - Alfa Competizione Red colour and Tele-dial alloys.
    I know it’s no McLaren but it ticks the practicality and different boxes for me. Also my running costs have fallen by a ridiculous amount and (most importantly) it is still a fun car - albeit in a different fashion.

Last edited by Crouchy; 6th January 2024 at 18:28.

Not a car I own, but I spent last Thursday afternoon driving the new Defender off-road at the Land Rover Experience centre, Peckforton Castle, Cheshire.
    Came as a freebie after purchasing a Velar last year.
    Why the Defender over the other LR/RR offerings?
    Well, I just fancied a go in it, that simple!
    And I was just blown away by what it could do, even with a muppet like me behind the wheel, the photos simple don't so the gradients justice.
    Most fun I've ever had at 3mph...
    Don't think I had the full TZ-UK uniform on, but I was wearing a Sea Dweller in case I really cocked it up and had to swim for it. :)
    Loved it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    5321 miles and 11 nights
    c10hrs of driving every day for 11 days sounds like purgatory to me so fair play!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    c10hrs of driving every day for 11 days sounds like purgatory to me so fair play!
    Its not everybody's cup of tea i know,did Stelvio last year 2700 in 5 days. The window of big trips with the big V8 is closing and im not getting any younger.

Its not everybody's cup of tea i know,did Stelvio last year 2700 in 5 days. The window of big trips with the big V8 is closing and im not getting any younger.
    Don't fancy it in an EV then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't fancy it in an EV then?
    No- i dont think i have enough life left.

No- i dont think i have enough life left.
    PMSL
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Oh yes it has PSE! It crackles. It pops. It roars.

The neighbours won’t like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Had mine since just before lockdown, but Cayman vs Boxster, the exhaust still makes me smile like a child; god knows what it is like with the roof off!

The 718 just doesn't compare due to the extra exhaust filters, a poor version of what it used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LhUzL3qdU

This video sold me on the exhaust, astounding noises.

Picked this M240i up around September last year, probably a financial mistake regarding insurance etc, but I do like it a lot. The B58 motor is fantastic!.. Pictured here on a secret road trip to the south of france, to suprise the other half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Wife's car, workhorse and family wagon.

Craftsman
    Oh yes it has PSE! It crackles. It pops. It roars.

The neighbours won’t like it!

Love the exhaust! The h**l with the neighbours ?

Master
    Picked up my new to me 981 Boxster S which replaces my 987 which a nice lady wrote off for me just before December!

What a sound this one makes

How does it compare to the 987?
    I've had couple of 981's before but considering a 987 gen2 come the spring.

What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Just back from a run around in the Cotswolds and I can say the 981 is an upgrade in all areas apart from one and it is much more refined than the 987. It is a more solid car, faster, louder and with more modern conveniences. The cabin is a much nicer place to sit than the 987.

I would say that the 987 is a much more raw experience and its steering is more precise with more feedback. Oh and no Ackerman effect.

I would recommend testing driving a 987 to see how you get on. Personally I am happy to have made the upgrade to a 981 S

Last edited by paw3001; 7th January 2024 at 21:15.

I had a 987.2 cayman S in pdk flavour. A simply superb modern classic. I may look into a 987.2 boxter myself at some point. Good luck with the hunt!

Master
    Just back from a run around in the Cotswolds and I can say the 981 is an upgrade in all areas apart from one and it is much more refined than the 987. It is a more solid car, faster, louder and with more modern conveniences. The cabin is a much nicer place to sit than the 987.

I would say that the 987 is a much more raw experience and its steering is more precise with more feedback. Oh and no Ackerman effect.

I would recommend testing driving a 987 to see how you get one. Personally I am happy to have made the upgrade to a 981 S

Ackerman effect is horrible isn’t it.

Every cold morning we move ours off the drive, I cringe with the noise they make.

Master

I'm back driving the 987.2 S Boxster I bought years ago and my father had for a while. A bit wasted on my daily commute but steering feel is fantastic compared to anything else I have driven regularly and it is no slower in the real world than the E63 I had before as the performance of that wasn't usable in the real world most of the time. No one would claim a Porsche was economical but compared to an AMG, it certainly is!

I would consider a 981 but not a 718 4 cylinder (though would trial a 6 cylinder) as a replacement. However more likely to go for a daily EV when I have a property with a charger and something a bit more special for the weekends as the next change.

I have PSE and it isn't that obnoxious at urban speeds but tbh I just activate it when out of urban speed limits when you can properly enjoy the sound anyway.

(old low res photo from when it was newer and cleaner as I don't have a recent one!)

Master
    My dad has had 2 987 2.7 boxters and still had the latest one. Both lovely but the 981 is a step above in all departments. For and finish, creature comforts, tech, power etc. I have a cayman 981 s and love it. With PSE it’s amazing. All lovely cars though.

Master
    I do 2400 every week over 5 days at 56mph having the delights of the M1, going to the Stelvio would be a better prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I also had a 987.2 base and then bought a 718S. The new on is of course an improvement in many ways, it has way more power and it has S-PASM and PTV, it's a more trackable car. The 987.2 however offered in some ways more raw fun on backroads. Mine was the 2.9 with Carnewal exhaust and it sounded fantastic. The new one crackles and pops, but sounds like a lawnmower when I fire it up in the gargage.

I drive this..... E63s

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I drive this..... E63s

Nice Jim, I’m currently looking at E63S/C63S (albeit the older version with the 4.0 V8 not the the new 4-pot). Any advice, watch outs etc? What’s it like as a daily driver?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Nice Jim, I’m currently looking at E63S/C63S (albeit the older version with the 4.0 V8 not the the new 4-pot). Any advice, watch outs etc? What’s it like as a daily driver?
    I’ve had a C63s since May 21 and would thoroughly recommend them . Covered about 30K miles (including a trip to Venice and back) and am still not tempted to change. I use it all year and as long as it’s on decent tyres it’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I’ve had a C63s since May 21 and would thoroughly recommend them . Covered about 30K miles (including a trip to Venice and back) and am still not tempted to change. I use it all year and as long as it’s on decent tyres it’s fine.
    On my E63s I have two sets of wheels, one set with winter tyres and the other with summer tyres.
    This is important. Summer tyres on the 4-wheel drive E63s are hopeless in very cold weather. I found that out the hard way.

Had the 930 at Strasse in Leeds last month to have new Fabspeed manifolds fitted and the turbo rebuilt (preventative, as it's 35 years old). They seemed to like the car so much they filmed it as a part of an advertising video, hence the screengrabs. Only had the one drive in it to bring it home, but it does spool up a bit smoother. Sounds the same as it already had a fantastic backbox. As always, I kept all of the original parts, and the difference in weight between the mild steel original pipes vs this system was significant.

On my E63s I have two sets of wheels, one set with winter tyres and the other with summer tyres.
    This is important. Summer tyres on the 4-wheel drive E63s are hopeless in very cold weather. I found that out the hard way.
    Winter tyres all the way, have them on both cars and wouldn’t be without them now.

Master
    I drive this..... E63s

Wonderful
    Beth Dutton's drive in Yellowstone for one of the series.

Wonderful
    Beth Dutton's drive in Yellowstone for one of the series.
    Still waiting in vain for the next season...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    2Nd half of season 5’s out in November I think
    Presume you’ve filled in with the off spins and Bass Reeves?

I really want a Cayman and those Boxster pictures aren’t helping but I just don’t know if I have it in me to swap a two year old Model 3 with 12k miles and 0 former keepers for a 2013 Cayman with 50k miles and 2-3 former keepers as they’re both around the same price. Head vs heart I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I really want a Cayman and those Boxster pictures aren’t helping but I just don’t know if I have it in me to swap a two year old Model 3 with 12k miles and 0 former keepers for a 2013 Cayman with 50k miles and 2-3 former keepers as they’re both around the same price. Head vs heart I think.
    No brainer.

Which will be worth more in a few years…

I had a company Model Y before I got my Boxster and I know which I enjoy driving more.

Clue: it isn’t the Tesla

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Me too! It has been a really long wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    7 years and never let me down save a crank position sensor. Love this old girl & the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    Realise this isn't the 'Guess Where' thread, but is that Long Melford?

Had a good run out at the weekend with a few fellows

Master
    @ maysie.
    Yes, Long Melford at the front of the Bull Hotel.

Master
    Had a good run out at the weekend with a few fellows

Looks fun! Was at a thruxton meet tail end of the year and was so cold and wet.

My morning was getting the rears changed on my wife’s Boxster, and then booking in an alignment as her camber on those tyres seem way off.

Hoping it’s not a larger fix though. It’s like she has reverse stance. Why it’s my job to notice the tyres tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    @ maysie.
    Yes, Long Melford at the front of the Bull Hotel.

Thought I recognised it.
    Thank you.

Ah this is only round the corner from my apartment! Could have done a twin test with my GT3!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Had the 930 at Strasse in Leeds last month to have new Fabspeed manifolds fitted and the turbo rebuilt (preventative, as it's 35 years old). They seemed to like the car so much they filmed it as a part of an advertising video, hence the screengrabs. Only had the one drive in it to bring it home, but it does spool up a bit smoother. Sounds the same as it already had a fantastic backbox. As always, I kept all of the original parts, and the difference in weight between the mild steel original pipes vs this system was significant.

Thought I'd share this as I've not seen much chatter about them on here for a while.

Full disclosure, I work for Ineos Automotive and have spent a bit of time now very much enjoying both the company and the product across a lot of our markets. Happy to answer any questions. If you haven't driven one and want to, give it a go. It does what it's supposed to, very well. They won't be everyone's cup of tactical tea and last year's price rises will have put a lot of people off diving into a new brand straight away...

I went to an old Ford near us to test the wading depth on this Utility Wagon but they've blocked it off, so I took a couple of quick shots for you lot.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    How the defender should have been modernised.

What’s with the large front bumper overhang? I’m sure it’s got a purpose, just not a clue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy! View Post
    Thought I'd share this as I've not seen much chatter about them on here for a while.

Full disclosure, I work for Ineos Automotive and have spent a bit of time now very much enjoying both the company and the product across a lot of our markets. Happy to answer any questions. If you haven't driven one and want to, give it a go. It does what it's supposed to, very well. They won't be everyone's cup of tactical tea and last year's price rises will have put a lot of people off diving into a new brand straight away...

I went to an old Ford near us to test the wading depth on this Utility Wagon but they've blocked it off, so I took a couple of quick shots for you lot.

What's the idea behind the huge front bumper extension?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

What’s with the large front bumper overhang? I’m sure it’s got a purpose, just not a clue.
    Called in to the JLR dealer yesterday to get a new wiper blade for the F-Pace, the new Defender is a great looking vehicle. Almost tempted to look at one next time.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I was on that weird x.5 setting on an old camera phone so it's made it look even more pronounced. Plenty of reasons for the size of the front bumper, homologation in different markets not included, it allows optional Roo bars in AUS, winch, it's a seat, table, step etc.

Thankfully tastes are subjective!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I imagine the sales figures justify the path LR took. They’re everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm surprised that's actually legal.

To garrote a pedestrians leg, just below the knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I'm surprised that's actually legal.
    The Ineos is in appearance similar to the old Defender which was becoming old in terms of safety, I'd hazard a guess that the huge bumper in someway makes up for some of the Defender's issues.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

It’s a battering ram to remove plebs in lesser vehicles from obstructing your progress. All without scratching the paintwork.