closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 155 of 165 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,750 of 8247

Thread: What do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We really like our Corolla Hybrid, we went for the Excel with all the bells and whistles

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response. Do you have the 2.0 litre?

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Thanks for the response. Do you have the 2.0 litre?
    Yeah, it's a much better engine than the older 1.8.

We don't care about the smaller boot on the 2.ltr and the interior is nicer in the Excel than the GR imo.

Infotainment not as good as German equivalent but it does a job, I think late 2020 got a revision which has android auto and better graphics. I still have android auto but only via usb ( never use it anyway )

All in all it's just a lovely car for just 2 of us. I travelled 600 miles round trip to get the Manhattan grey

Thanks again. I actually prefer the looks of the Corolla, but the Honda has a very clever hybrid system, and more space, as well as being better to drive, according to motoring journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    probably the best looking small SUV out there imo , looking at one of these myself as they have a bulletproof engine and a great spec for the money (inc a great bose sound system)
    Yes, and this one has the optional Bose subwoofer in the boot, too.

Yeah, it's a much better engine than the older 1.8.

We don't care about the smaller boot on the 2.ltr and the interior is nicer in the Excel than the GR imo.

Infotainment not as good as German equivalent but it does a job, I think late 2020 got a revision which has android auto and better graphics. I still have android auto but only via usb ( never use it anyway )

All in all it's just a lovely car for just 2 of us. I travelled 600 miles round trip to get the Manhattan grey

I had this as a company car option, but I did the maths and it just didn’t stack up financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Thanks again. I actually prefer the looks of the Corolla, but the Honda has a very clever hybrid system, and more space, as well as being better to drive, according to motoring journalists.
    Yeah the Honda has a lot going for it

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I had this as a company car option, but I did the maths and it just didn’t stack up financially.
    They are expensive, mine is a 32k car which is mind blowing for a Corolla

Master
    They rarely seem to these days unless you drive silly miles a year. I remember back in the day when they were a proper perk for my father if you drove high miles.

I’ve opted out for the last decade plus, and upgrade with the residual value in the car plus cash each time. Couple of very generous opt out schemes in my past though. Grateful for that certainly!

Enjoy the new wheels & sorry to hear of the accident. This morning I was struggling to see how you hit the middle of the Disco. I then visited the West Country and someone tried to turn right at a roundabout from the left hand lane without any warning. Was an arse clinching moment, not even enough time to use the horn or swear at the carrot cruncher!

I grew up that way, so can call them that!

Yeah I've opted out for last 20 years , mainly so I could choose my own car but finances better anyway

Master
    Yeah I've opted out for last 20 years , mainly so I could choose my own car but finances better anyway

Much more fun choices. Even if they require 4 seats I never have, but have always confirmed 4 seat car is always available if required.

In theory it was, but never needed it. I remember a 5 series co-car I had where in my 2 year ownership the rear seat had never been sat in. Joke to lug all that weight around for no reason. Comfy tho.

180 mile round trip to visit MIL today in torrential rain, have to say the Cayman was exceptionally well behaved and comfortable despite other road users. Looking forward to some slightly less damp drives on the horizon.

I occasionally drive a 2.0l Mazda CX30. The engine is tuned for torque at low revs. It's a joy to drive in everyday situations, and you can pretty much laze around in third gear. It's also perfectly competent on the motorway.

It doesn't go any faster if you rev it, and it sounds horrible if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    That’s what I mean I had a 2001 2.0 Toyota avensis that had 114 bhp and did 0-60 in 10.5 sec that’s from a 22 year old car Volvo seem to be able to get 250 hp out of my xc60s 2.0 petrol engine I did have a sit in the new Mazda cx60 hybrid which was very nice though
    The power outputs of normally aspirated petrol engines hasn't changed an awful lot, unlike turbo charged engines, especially diesels.

Your XC60 (I assume T5 because it has circa 250bhp) is turbo charged. Your very very unlikely to get >100bhp per litre from a NA production petrol engine .

I recall from the 90s the (na) Honda CRX 1.6 vtec used to produce 160bhp - which was bang on 100bhp per litre and that was unusual at the time.

I took delivery of my dream car just before Christmas 19 months after ordering it. Due to various cockups by Nissan, it turned out to be the last GTR registered in the UK. I have only had one short drive in it as it hasn't stopped raining since delivery day, but first impressions are that it's raw and visceral. It will be epic on a sunny day once it is run in.

4a113a3c-b295-40f6-8dbe-a55624322e73 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Fantastic car and colour - I have been on trips with friends who had one and it was a brutal thing to follow!

I also picked up my new GT3Touring before Christmas but with Cup2 tyres have not been further than Topaz for ppf.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I took delivery of my dream car just before Christmas 19 months after ordering it. Due to various cockups by Nissan, it turned out to be the last GTR registered in the UK. I have only had one short drive in it as it hasn't stopped raining since delivery day, but first impressions are that it's raw and visceral. It will be epic on a sunny day once it is run in.

Epic!

That Corolla is a lot nicer than I was expecting, especially the colour. Mental last two cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    Fantastic car and colour - I have been on trips with friends who had one and it was a brutal thing to follow!

I also picked up my new GT3Touring before Christmas but with Cup2 tyres have not been further than Topaz for ppf.

Congratulations, a GT3 Touring is a rare thing!

A couple of northern monkeys ran a GTR for a while for what seemed like shits and giggles and documented it on YouTube under EVIL GT.

Maybe worth a look if you are interested and since you have just bought one.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

Wibble.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A couple of northern monkeys ran a GTR for a while for what seemed like shits and giggles and documented it on YouTube under EVIL GT.

Maybe worth a look if you are interested and since you have just bought one.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    I know that channel very well. Lee had a bunch of GTR videos up in the earlier days of his channel but has pulled most of them. I found it originally as he was one of very few posting quality UK-based GTR clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    They rarely seem to these days unless you drive silly miles a year. I remember back in the day when they were a proper perk for my father if you drove high miles.

I’ve opted out for the last decade plus, and upgrade with the residual value in the car plus cash each time. Couple of very generous opt out schemes in my past though. Grateful for that certainly!

Enjoy the new wheels & sorry to hear of the accident. This morning I was struggling to see how you hit the middle of the Disco. I then visited the West Country and someone tried to turn right at a roundabout from the left hand lane without any warning. Was an arse clinching moment, not even enough time to use the horn or swear at the carrot cruncher!

I grew up that way, so can call them that!
    Okay, so…

I was exiting a car park, intending to turn right. To the right of the car park, about five cars were parked on the pavement. In addition, there was one car effectively “double parked“ but actually on the road, and a car behind that one edging out in order to overtake. I realised that I had time to exit onto the road, so scanned left and then pulled out relatively quickly to ensure that no one did anything stupid. Unfortunately, I was the one who did something stupid; I was so distracted by the nonsense that was going on to the right that when I scanned to the left I failed to see the Discovery, which was almost level with the car park exit.

The rest, as they say, it’s history!

Master
    Okay, so…

I was exiting a car park, intending to turn right. To the right of the car park, about five cars were parked on the pavement. In addition, there was one car effectively “double parked“ but actually on the road, and a car behind that one edging out in order to overtake. I realised that I had time to exit onto the road, so scanned left and then pulled out relatively quickly to ensure that no one did anything stupid. Unfortunately, I was the one who did something stupid; I was so distracted by the nonsense that was going on to the right that when I scanned to the left I failed to see the Discovery, which was almost level with the car park exit.

The rest, as they say, it’s history!
    Oh no mate, nightmare. Bet that was a hell of a shock for you both. Glad no injuries, based on there being no mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Oh no mate, nightmare. Bet that was a hell of a shock for you both. Glad no injuries, based on there being no mention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, everyone was unscathed, thank you. On the one hand I felt like a right idiot, but on the other I could understand why it happened. I literally didn't see the Disco at all.

wow!!!! That is stunning.

Master
    Yes, everyone was unscathed, thank you. On the one hand I felt like a right idiot, but on the other I could understand why it happened. I literally didn't see the Disco at all.
    Everyone makes mistakes but often we're fortunate enough to get away with an accident so it's good to be reminded to rush less and take more care, I like to think of incidents like this that some would think of as 'unlucky' as actually 'lucky' because no one was injured; it could have been a lot worse if you were seriously 'unlucky' so some minor inconvenience is a small price to pay.
    Keep safe out there people.

Glad nobody was injured. And that neither of you was on a bike.
    I know how incensed I was when I stopped millimetres away from a car who did the same thing and told me he hadn’t seen me. The adrenaline was so high that I didn’t even want to hear him, let alone believe it. You have reminded me of the incident and showed that it is in fact perfectly possible even for a careful driver (if it is possible to not see a LR a bike has no chance).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Glad nobody was injured. And that neither of you was on a bike.
    I know how incensed I was when I stopped millimetres away from a car who did the same thing and told me he hadn’t seen me. The adrenaline was so high that I didn’t even want to hear him, let alone believe it. You have reminded me of the incident and showed that it is in fact perfectly possible even for a careful driver (if it is possible to not see a LR a bike has no chance).
    It's very possible Marc, especially with extenuating circumstances, e.g.

1. I was very distracted by the pandemonium on my right.
    2. Consequently I took less time than I might have done scanning the road to my left.
    3. The Disco was already past my field of vision, exacerbated by no. 2 above.
    4. It was a dull grey day, and a dull grey car.

These are reasons rather than excuses, and it was still clearly my own fault. However, it demonstrates how circumstances can serve to create risk, and that's when we need to be particularly vigilant.

Thanks, btw.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    The power outputs of normally aspirated petrol engines hasn't changed an awful lot, unlike turbo charged engines, especially diesels.

Your XC60 (I assume T5 because it has circa 250bhp) is turbo charged. Your very very unlikely to get >100bhp per litre from a NA production petrol engine .

I recall from the 90s the (na) Honda CRX 1.6 vtec used to produce 160bhp - which was bang on 100bhp per litre and that was unusual at the time.
    Plenty of engines make more than 100hp per litre its just that they dont sell outside of supercars or motorcycles. Its cheaper , easier and cleaner to make hp with forced induction and they are typically nicer to drive

Current sportsbikes make 200hp per litre

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Plenty of engines make more than 100hp per litre its just that they dont sell outside of supercars or motorcycles. Its cheaper , easier and cleaner to make hp with forced induction and they are typically nicer to drive

Current sportsbikes make 200hp per litre
    Yes, my bmw Z3M from 1998 had a 320hp engine and was 3.2 litres

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Lost the ability to type anything sensible. Drool...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Lost the ability to type anything sensible. Drool...
    It is rather special isn’t it!

The partnership with Ford ended in 2015. There's no shared technology or assets now.
    I really like the Mazda. A Coole of friends had them in Australia, and I’ve driven one a couple of thousand K

The partnership with Ford has continued on certain models up until 2020. Essentially the Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50 were the same chassis etc. I think Mazda went with Isuzu from 2021 for their update though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I really like the Mazda. A Coole of friends had them in Australia, and I’ve driven one a couple of thousand K

The partnership with Ford has continued on certain models up until 2020. Essentially the Ford Ranger and Mazda BT50 were the same chassis etc. I think Mazda went with Isuzu from 2021 for their update though.

Anything badged "Skyactiv" is Mazda's own platform I believe.

Just to bring the thread average down a little, here's my new arrival yesterday, only my second 'new car' at 47 and certainly my first 'first day, new plate' car, delivered at 8.30am yesterday

Last edited by Brighty; 2nd March 2023 at 23:33.

Just picked up a 2023 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD Turbo to share with the wife in retirement...(internet photos - too wet and cold here lately)

Master
    After a 20 month wait, my Touareg Black Edition arrived about a month ago. Really pleased with it so far, definitely an under the radar car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Yes, my bmw Z3M from 1998 had a 320hp engine and was 3.2 litres

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
    My 5.0 mustang was 412bhp from the factory.. I soon had it up to 460bhp with a remap and a few minor mods, then it didn’t take much extra effort to get it to 500bhp but I have to admit it didn’t drive nicely at all because all the power was at the top of the rev range. I undid the later mods and now it’s back to 460 and drives really nicely..

Master
    I’ve had Golf’s for a while now and traded my six year old Golf 1.4 TSI for a new Golf on the first March. The outgoing Golf was a beaut and I was a bit reluctant to see it go.

New one is a 1.5 TSI and I’m looking forward to putting a few miles on it.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 9th March 2023 at 13:50.

Master
    So, which one of your cheeky monkeys has stolen some of my electricity ?

My iX had 255mile range when I parked it, it’s a cold night and now I have 240miles range. What’s going on and do I need to include weather forecasts in addition to charging stations when Route planning?

Wait til you start driving it with the heater on

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I’ve had Golf’s for a while now and traded my six year old Golf 1.4 TSI for a new Golf on the first March. The outgoing Golf was a beaut and I was a bit reluctant to see it go.

New one is a 1.5 TSI and I’m looking forward to putting a few miles on it.
    I’ve been running the Golf 8 1.5TSI for 2 years. Some lovely features but the unlit radio and temp controls pathetic. And the Lane control and emergency braking also far too aggressive.

It’s nippy around town and I like the steering.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Just picked up a 2023 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD Turbo to share with the wife in retirement...(internet photos - too wet and cold here lately)

We've had a few CRVs over the years. Reliable, so very well thought out for real world usability, and felt like great value. We miss them more now that they are gone, which is perhaps a great legacy to leave [ex]owners with. May well get another in the future. Love Honda's Candy Red - one of the best colours of all time.

Master
    Traded my Audi etron 50 for a 55 sport back late last year, happy with the EV experience over the past 3 years

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I’ve been running the Golf 8 1.5TSI for 2 years. Some lovely features but the unlit radio and temp controls pathetic. And the Lane control and emergency braking also far too aggressive.

It’s nippy around town and I like the steering.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’ve noticed that re the unlit controls but they are just below the screen and fairly easy to locate imo. It would be better if they were backlit though.

Agreed re the lane keeping control, it was quite off putting at first!

The lane keeping on my Volvo is fairly insistent, but I've taken it as a hint to indicate more!

Heater controls should be physical knobs and buttons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The lane keeping on my Volvo is fairly insistent, but I've taken it as a hint to indicate more!

Totally agree re heating and air con. Also think this should apply to volume control but I guess these touchscreens are the way car design is going.

My Golf 7 was better in this aspect but I’ll just have to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post

Funnily enough my BMW doesn't have a lane keeping thingy

Master
    I thoughtcyou were goingcti say indicators!
    I've made a point in indicating a lot since my BMW ownership just to ruin other driver's expectations!

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I thoughtcyou were goingcti say indicators!
    I've made a point in indicating a lot since my BMW ownership just to ruin other driver's expectations!
    I deliberately used "thingy" instead

Master
    Sorry, I should have been more on the right track! 😅