closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchmaker training - Advice on Training/Tools

Watchmaker training - Advice on Training/Tools

Hi Guys

I'm relatively young at 21 and have worked for a well known AD for the last 5yrs, I'm currently a Supervisor but I have always been more interested in working with watches than becoming a Manager, etc. I have decided to take the plunge and train to be a watchmaker. I am very passionate about watches and tend to spend most of my spare time browsing TZ or the internet searching for news and information. Although I have only carried out battery and strap changes along with bracelet adjustments so far, I feel that I have the patience, passion and willingness to learn that is required. Along with a steady hand of course! I wouldn't say I was a loner but I do like the idea of working alone in peace and quiet :lol: It has taken me a while to decide which career path to take but I think I have found my calling now.

Anyhow, thats my introduction so lets get down to what this post is actually about! I'm looking to start the BHI distance learning course next month with the hope of securing a trainee role or apprenticeship in the near future. Now here is where you guys come in, I need to purchase some basic tools to get started with which I need your help. I have created a list of things that I think I need but I'm not sure if I have missed some important stuff out. I have contacted the BHI but as yet they have not got back to me but I'm sure you guys can help :)

Here is my list of basic tools so far:

Screwdriver set
    Tweezers
    Movement holder
    Eyeglass
    Caseback removal tools (Jaxa style/Case knife)Hammer
    Bracelet pin remover set, Bracelet holding block. (Extras for adjusting bracelets, not really needed to begin with but good to have i think)

This leads me to the few questions that I have for you all:

1. Which tools should be on my list? (If you could recommend a particular brand or model of tool that would be very helpful)
    2. Where is the best place to purchase them from?
    3. Have you any words of WISdom? :lol:

With regards to purchasing tools, I was thinking Cousins but they seem to only be supplying the trade now? I will look forward to your suggestions and you never know, one day I may be able to offer my services to you all!

Many thanks in advance :D

Luke

Master

Re: Watchmaker training - Advice on tools

Hi, off the top of my head: Several pairs of tweezer sizes, and a pair of brass tweezers. Oilers (Bergeons are good), 2 different strength loupes, pegwood, Rodico, fourniture trays and covers, several... benzine cups etc...

Ive bought tools from http://www.watchtool.co.uk/ and cousins, no need to be a business afaik, just need to register on their website...

Good luck, I've got a year to go of my training, lovin it!

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Hi, off the top of my head: Several pairs of tweezer sizes, and a pair of brass tweezers. Oilers (Bergeons are good), 2 different strength loupes, pegwood, Rodico, fourniture trays and covers, several... benzine cups etc...

Ive bought tools from http://www.watchtool.co.uk/ and cousins, no need to be a business afaik, just need to register on their website...

Thanks for that. Could I pick your brains on few things too? :)

I see you are studying the BHI course as well, are you studying it from home or at college/university? Unfortunately I can only study in my own time at the moment, I would love to give up work and study at Birmingham university.

The only other problem I have now is finding a suitable workshop in Buckinghamshire that I can borrow for some of the practical work. I will have start contacting workshops soon to ask if I could borrow their facilities. Did you find that there was a lot of practical work required in the 1st year?

And last one, how have you found finding employment?

Thanks
    Luke

Re: Watchmaker training - Advice on Training/Tools

I seem to have found the Bergeon 5970 screwdriver set for £40. Would these be preferable to the A*F set of a similar price?

The A*F set had 19 spare blades and the Bergeon only 9 but I'm guessing that they don't break too often if used with care.

Banned

I bought the Bhi distance learning course, its just gathering dust now, real shame as i cant afford the time needed.

I should really give them a call to ask for a refund.

Master
    Blog Entries

Hi Luke,

The AF screwdrivers are good and you do get spare blades so if needed you can always replace the blades.

Regs

Bry

Where in Bucks are you? We may be able to help a little if you are close to us (MK). It would certainly be worth you visiting us at least to see a working environment and to try some of the different styles of tools and equipment in use everyday.

Regarding tools, if you are thinking of doing this professionally, buy the best you can afford! it will save you money in the long run and avoid tears along the way. £30 for a pair of tweezers may seem a lot but you will quickly appreciate them if you try any of the cheaper ones.
    A lot also depends on your work area. If you have space for a permanent workbench, your tools can be different from those more suited to being put away at the end of each session. A box set of screwdrivers for example would work better than a big rotating stand of 10 screwdrivers that's a pain to move let alone put away.

email me if I can help at all.

Thanks Geoff.

Just got in from work, I'll drop you an email later this evening.

Good luck with your ,training course i like the idea of piece and quite together with the chance to work on my own, i did this for most of my working life, Tools always by the best , they really are the cheapest in the long run and look after them.
    Sorry I cannot help you with this choice of work , I left school and trained to be a sparky, and then changed course.
    Once again best of luck.

I do like the idea of working alone in peace and quiet
    :lol:

Peaceful enough?

What our workshop looks over. The view can be distracting though :D

What Geoff said, buy the best tools you can afford, Visit the BHI for a seminar or two and see the tools you will need there. It gets expensive when you start looking at buying vibrographs and witchi watch expets at 2k a pop.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by RaulGonzalez
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

Thanks for that. Could I pick your brains on few things too? :)

I see you are studying the BHI course as well, are you studying it from home or at college/university? Unfortunately I can only study in my own time at the moment, I would love to give up work and study at Birmingham university.

The only other problem I have now is finding a suitable workshop in Buckinghamshire that I can borrow for some of the practical work. I will have start contacting workshops soon to ask if I could borrow their facilities. Did you find that there was a lot of practical work required in the 1st year?

And last one, how have you found finding employment?

Thanks
    Luke
    hi, im not with bhi but doing a full WOSTEP course, in sweden. If you can find a way to attend a wostep school then that will probably be the most straightforward way, and the school will have all the equipment and tools you need.

http://www.wostep.ch a list of schools there

workwise, i already work extra in an AD for several highend brands, and it looks like they want me fulltime there once im done... theres lots of work out there!

Just out of curiousity, where do you imagine ending up in 5 years say?

I would love to be working for one of the big Swiss companies in 5yrs time.

Although, until I actually experience some practical work and see what I enjoy the most, I'm not too sure which specific part of watchmaking that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    I do like the idea of working alone in peace and quiet
    :lol:

Peaceful enough?

What our workshop looks over. The view can be distracting though :D
    I'm looking forward to paying you a visit :D

I've just bought-

9 Horotec Ball Bearing Screwdrivers in wooden box.
    Dumont Dumostar #2 Tweezers
    Bergeon 4040 Movement holder
    Bergeon Arkansas stone
    Bergeon Premium Rodico
    Bundle of Pegwood
    Dust cover with divider tray

A grand total of £154 spent in a few minutes :lol: Just need to find a cheap asian 6497 to play around with now before I purchase the BHI course. I would like to say a big thanks to Geoff D for his excellent advice and help over the last week, I really appreciate you giving up some of your time to help out.

Master

forgot, you NEED to buy "Watchmaking" by George Daniels... essential book.