closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New member and Tissot fan says hello!

New member and Tissot fan says hello!

Hello all

I have been looking at this excellent forum for a while now and thought it might be time to get involved!

I collect watches as something of a hobby as I am sure a lot of you do, but my collections have tended to be brand specific. I started with Omega, got intersted in tuning fork watches via the f300 models, went on to Bulova Accutrons and somehow got interested in Tissots. Is this normal behaviour? A lot of people think that owning more than one watch is not normal behaviour!

Anyway, I am currently interested in doing up old Tissot watches, as I have found that they really are an unrecognised brand and the quality of the older models is amazing. It is unbelievable that a brand sharing its heritage with Omega can have been overlooked for so long. Before I put you all off with my soapbox antics let me tell you about my current 'project' watch. It is a Tissot Navigator Sonorous, a mechanical alarm watch from the Seventies. It has many problems....First, and prehaps biggest issue, the back is missing! The movement is ticking away, but the glass is knackered and the bracelet is broken. A bit of a basket case i guess, I have just got to find someone to repair it. Tissot do not seem interested in repairing older models now, so I am looking to find the right place to send the watch in the UK. I have spoken to The Swatch Group and they are not much help, there must be someone out there with the parts and skills to sort it out.

I am hoping to post some pictures of the watch when I work out how to do it, please excuse my lack of forum skills!

Are there any other Tissot fans out there? I know the T Touch models are very popular now, and that thay are good value as new watches, but I think the older mechanicals are really great watches that can be picked up for next to nothing. I would love to see any other pics of Tissot watches or hear of any good websites out there!

Master

Re: New member and Tissot fan says hello!

Hi and welcome Mr T! :wink:

Hello, good evening and welcome :wave:

Master

Welcome to the forum.

Fear not - You're not alone, there are many Tissot fans around.

Many of the guys use Steve Burrage at Ryte Time for their repairs, I don't think I've ever read anything but 100% praise for his work. I'm sure one of the Tissot fans will point you in the right direction for spares.

Thanks John and Lee, nice to know I am not alone with the Tissots! Also thanks for the repair advice, Hope to get some pics on soon, I think this one could be a nice watch, it is very seventies, with an orange alarm hand and two crowns! Have either of you got Tissots?

Hi Mr T welcome aboard - I love the old Tissots too and you'll have plenty to keep you busy here! 8)

Craftsman

Hi and welcome MR.T,I used to have a PRS 516 but other than that I know next to nothing about the make,looking forward to seeing your project watch,sounds interesting :)

Marius

Thank you blueboy, I will look forward to it...Murias, what happened to the Tissot?

Craftsman

Flipped within weeks ... :lol:

Welcome to this maddness MR.T ! :D Don't fret, owning less than 2 watches is the sign of true maddness, you are in good company here. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

I have nearly always regretted flipping watches, they seem more desirable once they have gone..I guess the wanting is better than the having, and so is the reminiscing!

BTW how do people get by with only one watch??!!

Craftsman

Good question - me I`ll never know the answer :lol:

For me its the collecting instinct, the desire to add to my collection, and a desire to see a different watch on my wrist every day of the week. My Dad wore the same Tissot Seastar for 40 years! and when he retird he replaced it, with an Omega Constellation ( vintage) that looked exactly the same!
    I can't imagine being that content with a single watch....

Master

I struggle to own just one watch these days... Even if it's a Rolex...

I have never owned a Tissot (yet!) My Brother owns a very nice Tissot dress watch and my Mother has a Tissot which would now be regarded as vintage. Then again at 65 so would my Mother!...

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Hello Dave and thank you for the welcome. I would personally recommend the vintage Tissot models, but each to their own of course! I like Rolex watches as well, although most are out of my budget. I like the challenge of buying an old watch and getting it sorted out, one day I may get to do this with a Rolex. Just got to find a Comex Submariner at the boot sale!

I pity the fool !!!

Welcome aboard :D

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Mark

Thanks david and mark love the MR T pic! I can assure you that I do not wear any jewellery other than watches, am not particularly keen on milk and quite like flying!

What watch would Mr T wear? it would not be a Tissot, I know that much!

Master

Hi Mr. T, and welcome aboard!

I have a tuning fork Tissot, although it's away having a new battery fitted at the mo. Here it is:

That's a lovely watch, using the esa 9162 calibre ,it was fitted to many luxury brands at the time Omega called it the 1250 calibre. It shows you how good Tissot were back in the day, and a well serviced 9162 can keep time to within a second a day. Not bad for 40 year old technology!

Hello mr T, and a photo of my old Tissot

Hi, it would be good to see some pics.
    I'm told that Tissot and Omega share quite a lot of the same DNA :)

Welcome :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Master

Hi Mr T & welcome :wave:

Hi and thanks for your warm welcomes! Thanks for the pic of the Visodate, I like the bracelets, they were quite a unique design for Tissot!

Grand Master

how do. massive vintage tissot fan here, i'm on the lookout for a solid gold cased seastar visodate automatic if ever you see one.! i had one , flipped it and have regretted it ever since. i also have a steel blue dialled seastar auto in need of some work if you fancy bash at it, and a couple of tissot thing in sales corner right now!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Hi and thanks, I will keep my eyes out for the Gold one, I am looking to find somewhere to send my latest project, so hopefully I will find somewhere that have a good stock of parts and the right expeerience to do a good job of old Tissots... Watch this space!

Tissots are highy quality and great vfm. I own a T-Touch Expert and a Sea-Touch but have owned PRS516 models in the past.

Hi :wave:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman

Some one say vintage Tissot :lol:

Mike

Hi Mike

You have quite a collection there, I like every single one of those watches, especially the black dial Navigator on the bottom row. Who have you used for repairs? I will posting pictures of my latest project soon, and some pics of my other Tissots....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MR T
    Who have you used for repairs? I will posting pictures of my latest project soon, and some pics of my other Tissots....
    Look forward to the pics, I'm a big fan of the 1960/70's Navigator range. As for repairs I can recomend (as others will) Steve Burage at http://www.rytetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/ Good work for a fair price and not to bad a turn a round.

Mike

I have the Tissot PR 50 titanium, it is classic but a very watch i reckon.
    Had it from August 2008, and very happy with it,
    I am looking to upgrade for the Stainless Steel, cant afford it right now, though:
    http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/6904424/

found this information very important:
    Tissot is the official timekeeper of five major international disciplines: MotoGP, NASCAR®, Cycling, Ice Hockey, and Fencing.

that's what make it so precise and envy to have.

Thanks Mike, I am looking in to the repair this week and will post how I get on.. I have also added a new topic about the watch with pictures, would be interested to hear your opinion!