closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help/Advise for Party wall sound insulation.

Help/Advise for Party wall sound insulation.

Hi All,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated here. I need to sound proof the dividing wall between myself and my neighbours to reduce the noise they hear from my daughter and the noise we hear from their daughter :shock: :shock: :shock: The house is a Victorian semi-detached and the hall ways are next to each other.

The problem is that I do not have the room to put up a secondary wall as it would mean losing too much space width wise in the hall way and also it would destroy the original Victorian cornice which we want to tray and keep intact if possible. The wall is a single red brick dividing wall with plaster directly onto it.

I have been looking at rubber soundproofing used in conjunction with two layers of soundproof plasterplate which can be bonded onto the existing plastered wall.

Does anyone have experience of this ??????

http://www.keepitquiet.co.uk/M20.html

http://www.acoustic-supplies.com/pro...ent-board.aspx
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Re: Help/Advise for Party wall sound insulation.

Tricky problem that you have.

Are you sure it is a single brick? I would have thought 9 inch for solid for a dividing wall?

The products you are looking for do work. Depends on the degree of attenuation you are looking for. Check the tech specs on both before deciding.

Some things to be aware of:

1) Have the wall checked for damp before you do anything else. There may be no evidence of damp but if the moisture content in the wall is high then you don't want to inhibit the airflow to the wall.
    2) Don't forget the bit of wall between the floors. You could just use acoustic glass wool in the floor void but you will need something.
    3) Don't forget the attic or the sound will just go up and jump over. New loft insulation might be your friend if it's a few years since you looked at it.
    4) If you proceed do both sides of the wall. i.e. get you neighbour to do his side as well. A much better solution even if he only does the daughters bedroom.
    5) Carpets about 200% better than hard floors if you have this problem. In fact soft furnishings in general all help. Use good quality underlays as this also make as big difference.
    6) Sometimes moving loudspeakers etc to different locations also helps.