closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Honestly are people so stupid ?

Re: Honestly are people so stupid ?

I find it quite impressive that some people can spot a fake just like that... I mean it must take a good eye and lots of experience...

How do you do it? :shock:
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

WOW, this threads still going!

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just
    I find it quite impressive that some people can spot a fake just like that... I mean it must take a good eye and lots of experience...

How do you do it? :shock:
    If you really know your subject, it isn't all that hard. But, you have to have studied your subject well. I can spot a fake US mil-watch fairly quickly, but wouldn't recognize a fake Panerai if you mailed it to me...

If the initial fake had been a watch that never existed, like T. E. Lawrence's Submariner, or Abraham Lincoln's Bulova Accutron, I might have chuckled at the stupidity of the bidders. This watch was questionable, but not obvious to the non-expert.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    If you really know your subject, it isn't all that hard. But, you have to have studied your subject well. I can spot a fake US mil-watch fairly quickly, but wouldn't recognize a fake Panerai if you mailed it to me...
    I'll remember that when I'll start the hunt on a Benrus :wink:
    And you're correct about researching the subject first.
    I was just wondering how one can label people stupid, yet only mention initial price and lack of papers to expertly declare the watch a fake.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master

I've not read the entire thread and the subject matter, as it's apparent to me, is quite arcane, but the answer to the very general question posed in the thread title is yes - people can be eye-wateringly stupid, so stupid that they shouldn't be put in charge of an uncooked vegetable. But we allow them the vote and they can procreate as aggressively as they like, so what's a little watch ignorance? If they're willing to punt their handouts on eBay junk, let 'em.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Exactly.

People buy fake crap every hour of the day on ebay, you can't save them all and TBH I could care less, people have to look after themselves.

People tend to study where their particular interests lie and gain a knowledge.

Of course if your interests are fake watches you can probably spot them more easily.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Exactly.

People buy fake crap every hour of the day on ebay, you can't save them all and TBH I could care less, people have to look after themselves.

People tend to study where their particular interests lie and gain a knowledge.

Of course if your interests are fake watches you can probably spot them more easily.
    I agree, but it is not just Ebay, there is a fake Tag in the latest Fellows Auction catalogue!

fake items are everywhere not just the bay, been hacked many times and recently from classified forums,
    i learnt that every item is sold because there is something lacking on it or going to die.