closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a new motor

Suggestions for a new motor

I'm in need of a car that fits the following criteria

Practical - easily get 2 suitcases in the boot / on the back seats. It would be nice to be able to fit a bike in the back, although not essential. Only 2 seats are required.
    Comfortable - would like to drive to the alps in it in reasonable comfort.

Current thinking is a X5 or Discovery. However, don't really fancy a big car. So also thinking along the lines

M3
    VW Phaeton
    Jag XJ

budget approx. 15k

I'm struggling with ideas...

Re: Suggestions for a new motor

You need to clarify a bit :D

2 seats is not generally a 4x4, and a 4x4 tends to be big which you said you don't want....

A bike certainly will not go in a M3, Phaeton or XJ (M3 cabrio with the top down - ok LOL, i'll give you that).

Buy a Golf GTi and be done with it :lol:

Only need 2 seats, but to get a bike in, will probably mean a 4 seater. That's why I’m thinking about a 4x4's. The only problem being, anything I like is not suitable at all. Never fancied a 4x4, but they seem like the option if you want boot space...

M3, etc were compromises, i.e. decent boot and stick the bike on the roof. No soft tops, that's what is causing the problem

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Buy a Golf GTi and be done with it :lol:
    +1

Or even better, a TDI. Excellent motorway MPG and plenty of power when you need to get past something. I have a MK4 TDI (150bhp). Great for commuting. The boot is plenty big enough for suitcases and I can get my bike in with the front wheel off and the seats down easily. I hear the interior isn't as great in the MK5's. Not sure about the new MK6 but if i was getting something that new it would be a Scirocco rather than a Golf.

Journeyman

Depends what you want, for 15k I would personally get an M3 SMG facelift.

However if it's space and practicality then as you said, 4x4's are the option or an estate car like a good volvo. However don't fall into the "city 4x4" trap, at least get a proper 4x4 if you do get one....i.e. something made by Land Rover :p

How comfortable are the M3's though, is the suspension on the firm side. I'm the wrong side of 40 now, and don't want anything too firm. The most practical car I've got is a mini, and hate it's firm suspension. Is a M5 more comfy?

Any opinions on a Discovery? or maybe the Volvo suv type car, sorry don't know the model

Craftsman

if you want to fit a bike in the back you need at least a hatchback style rear. Any sedan/saloon it will be impossible.

Maybe old shape Audi RS4/S4 Estate? Or m5 estate? but that would be pushing your budget a little bit.

Master

Skoda Octavia vRS - either hatch or estate, both have big boots!

Choice of diesel (go for the common rail - CR - rather than the PD) or the FSi petrol. Both give good performance.

Should get one about a year (or less) old for your cash.

Sporty, good ride, fun to drive, reliable, etc. Just gotta get over the badge... ;)

Check out the Superb too if you're looking at XJ / Phaeton size cars.

Alternatively, we've got a Seat Altea TDi FR. Another from the VW Group stable - Golf-size, but a little taller. Again get one less than a year old for your cash, so still under warranty.

Neither of these may be "premium" enough for you though, looking at your initial thoughts. IMO, bike in the back = hatch, not saloon / coupe though I'm sure others have squeezed one in.

Oh, and as nice as the Disco 3 is, £15k is bottom end - probably looking at manual with cloth.

Cheers,

Guy :)

Current M5 is way out of that budget, circa £25k entry point.

This all depends on what your priorities are - do you want massive grunt and agility e.g. M3, RS6 etc, something economical and comfy e.g. diesel midsize ?????

Craftsman

I never understood the M3 thing? You could have a 330 for the same money, or an Alpina. In all honesty you would scare yourself shitless in a 323 if you really pushed it. A friend has a rock hard sport version of the BMW I have. At 90% it grips a little better, the rest of the time it feels like you have four flat tyres, and knackered shocks :lol:

What time of year in the Alps? If its this time, you need a regular model to get the chains on...

Could I suggest a Cayanne? Space, comfort and in the main orginally purchased by people who could afford to maintain them, I looked at a lot of shiny BMW's with distinctly skimpy history files. Whatever you do don't google SMG gearbox...

Anyway my choice?

I think the M3 is blurring the picture slightly, I put it in the list as I've always fancied one, and thought I could sell it to the misses as being a practical car!

I think I'd prefer something with reasonable grunt, maybe 3-4 years old, where someone else has taken the biggest hit on depreciation. Budget could go up a bit, but don't want to spend more than low 20's. Would like leather and possibly auto. Don't fancy a diesel, mpg not a concern.

Hard to buy a premium brand car for what you want to do. Plus your choice window seems awfuly wide at the moment.

Performance BMW + snow = Unless you fit the right tyres / chains

Passat Estate @ 3 yrs old ex-lease would work. Skoda's also worth a look as mentioned.

Nissan Navara Crew Cab @ 1-2 years old. :D

Get an M3. Cracking car. Comfort. 5 seats. Look the part. And go like shit off a stick!!

Here's mine, it took me 6 months to find the right one mind :shock: Mine may well be
    up for sale in a few months :wink: :D

I'll have my Z3 M Coupe for sale shortly... 2 seats, nice and powerful, ubber rare, and you can get roof bars and a bike carrier for them :thumbup:

Can provide more details if you fancy :0

3 series estate

£16k on Autotrader, 3 litre diesel, Climate Control, Cruise control, Electric sunroof, Computer, Foglights, Multi function steering wheel, Park distance control, Power assisted steering, Sports seats, Sunroof, ABS, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Alloy wheels, Head restraints, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Anti theft system, Remote central locking, Leather seats, panoramic sunroof, MSport kit.

With that spec, it'll take some beating.

Chris

Like the Cayanne idea :D

Didn't realise you could get them for that kind of money :shock:

What are be best models for this price? anything I should look out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon181
    Like the Cayanne idea :D

Didn't realise you could get them for that kind of money :shock:

What are be best models for this price? anything I should look out for?
    They are totally Fugly and you will need to drive around with a paper bag on your head! :D

Master

Honda CRV???

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    3 series estate

£16k on Autotrader, 3 litre diesel, Climate Control, Cruise control, Electric sunroof, Computer, Foglights, Multi function steering wheel, Park distance control, Power assisted steering, Sports seats, Sunroof, ABS, Electric windows, Electric mirrors, Alloy wheels, Head restraints, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Anti theft system, Remote central locking, Leather seats, panoramic sunroof, MSport kit.

Chris
    Lovely motor, I keep coming back to the 330D in my search for a new car, unfortunately at that price point it is likely to have mileage of 80K+, maybe more. I would be loath to have one without warranty too, just incase :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew e
    I never understood the M3 thing? You could have a 330 for the same money,
    you could have a 330 for the same money, surely the best reason ever not to buy a 330

everyone who loves cars needs to own an m3 at some stage, they are sublime :)

Craftsman

How can I put this - I find the M3 a thugs car... how about a gentlemans express?

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/B3/3.3/saloon/324

Audi S4 estate maybe? bit more subtle than an m3 and you'll be glad when you get to the alps! pistonheads got lots of them....
    Goat

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    3 series estate

Chris
    Lovely motor, I keep coming back to the 330D in my search for a new car, unfortunately at that price point it is likely to have mileage of 80K+, maybe more. I would be loath to have one without warranty too, just incase :wink:
    That one has 58k miles, I reckon the 3.0l diesel would have barley been worn in yet.

There are also 2.5l D's going for a bit less.

Chris

Master

Cayenne's about to be replaced with a new model later this year - that may or may not bother you.

Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 JTS Q4 Sportwagon?

Cheers,

Master

How can I put this - I find the M3 a thugs car... how about a gentlemans express?

http://www.thealpinaregister.com/B3/3.3/saloon/324
    the thug will always beat the nuts off the gentlemans express tho 8)

what about a merc CLS ? I think they have dipped under 20k now

Craftsman

I think the M3 is blurring the picture slightly, I put it in the list as I've always fancied one, and thought I could sell it to the misses as being a practical car!

I think I'd prefer something with reasonable grunt, maybe 3-4 years old, where someone else has taken the biggest hit on depreciation. Budget could go up a bit, but don't want to spend more than low 20's. Would like leather and possibly auto. Don't fancy a diesel, mpg not a concern.
    Audi A8 fits the bill perfectly, supreme quality interior and plenty of grunt in the TDI's. They are a wonderful place to sit in for long journeys and fantastic value secondhand.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    I'll have my Z3 M Coupe for sale shortly...

Can provide more details if you fancy :0

Jon, could you PM me some details of this please? Rough price, miles, SH etc...

Having spent a little bit of time at the weekend looking, I think a 4x4 is not for me. They are just too big.

Had a look at the latest 3 series bm, I reckon this would give me enough space. So, maybe back to the M3 option... A bit undecided if I need all that power though

Which 3 series would people recommend?

Having spent a little bit of time at the weekend looking, I think a 4x4 is not for me. They are just too big.

Had a look at the latest 3 series bm, I reckon this would give me enough space. So, maybe back to the M3 option... A bit undecided if I need all that power though

Which 3 series would people recommend?
    You need the power!!!!!

Tbh, i wouldn't own a BMW apart from the M cars and maybe an X6.

I would have agreed with you a little while ago, but I have 6 points on my licence now...

If you're after a car to do everything well... get a 320d. Cheap to run, great resale. 330d or one of the petrols if you want more grunt :)

Looking at the owner reviews on What car, they don't seem particularly happy with it

How about (a bit of a left field idea) a Lexus GS430 on an 05 or 55 plate with 30k ish miles?

I bought one last year and it's VERY comfortable, loads of boot space and, although I wouldn't want to risk the back seats (leather) with a bike or two), lots of room inside.

Plus - 5.9 secs to 60, 155 top speed and almost every toy in the book.

I've been super happy with it so far. Even the bills are OK - £190 for an intermediate service.

Cheers,

I've got a local Lexus dealer, I'll take a look at the weekend

Looking at the owner reviews on What car, they don't seem particularly happy with it
    Bear in mind that reports placed are usually the negative ones, happy campers are the silent majority :wink:

I've got a 2007 M5 Touring - not had a single fault with it from new - and that is a seriously complex car!

Didn't like my suggestion then?

can't decide what to do... too many options.

Master

Get out to some showrooms and sit in the cars, take them for a drive. You'll soon suss out what the deal-breakers will be for you.

Also, get onto the Autotrader website and do a search - £14-16k, under 3 years old (or whatever your choices are) and see what comes up - might give you some fresh ideas!

Cheers,

Here's a thought - why not get a list of cars that you'd like to see/try and ask the (very accomodating) members on here who have those cars if they would like to meet up for a drink, watch admiring session and, oh yes, can you have a look at their car too?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Master

Save a packet and get a BMW 540i touring

or a passat w8 4 wheel drive (think it was available in estate form)

Got a Top Gear mag to browse, here's a change of direction

Audi TT coupe... :o

Vaguely practical as it's a hatchback...

Craftsman

Would you browse Argos for watch reviews?

Grand Master

I`d be tempted to look at an XJ. Not sure what you get for 15k but the earliest 2.7 diesels can`t be far off that figure. With the arrival of the new model, which is totally different, the 'old' XJ is the last in a long line going back to 1968. Instantly recognisable, a modern-day classic IMO, there's nothing quite like it. I also find the 'Arthur Daley image' quite appealing :)

I`m seriously tempted myself because they don`t cost an arm & a leg to run with the diesel engine, but I don`t really need such a big car.

Paul

Would you browse Argos for watch reviews?
    Point taken, JC does have a much better opinion of the 3 series

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Seats three, don't know if that's a deal breaker...

Banned

I'm in need of a car that fits the following criteria

Practical - easily get 2 suitcases in the boot / on the back seats. It would be nice to be able to fit a bike in the back, although not essential. Only 2 seats are required.
    Comfortable - would like to drive to the alps in it in reasonable comfort.

Current thinking is a X5 or Discovery. However, don't really fancy a big car. So also thinking along the lines

M3
    VW Phaeton
    Jag XJ

budget approx. 15k.

I'm struggling with ideas...
    keep away from the new shape mitsubuishi shoguns ....thats all i can offer :)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    Eh why? You had a bad experience?

We have one and it's been faultless for the last 18 months. Drinks a bit, but can't expect less with a 3.2 TD up front!

Absolute bargain do-it-all car for £22k new IMO :)

Just get a Mondeo, more toys than all the others put together, 2.2 TDCI 155 bhp handles well and comfy to boot.
    Also less common than BMW's :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmerjammer
    Eh why? You had a bad experience?

We have one and it's been faultless for the last 18 months. Drinks a bit, but can't expect less with a 3.2 TD up front!

Absolute bargain do-it-all car for £22k new IMO :)
    We just sold ours, 3.2 Diamond. Was a brilliant tow car that gets great reviews too. Not sure why you say to avoid?