closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which nespresso machine?

Master

Which nespresso machine?

folks

looking into getting a nespresso machine, im more of a cappuccino and latte drinker than espresso so id want one with the mily attachement, however worktop space is at a premium and i dont want the most expensive all singing all dancing model

so can any recommend one to me?

Fanks :D

Re: Which nespresso machine?

If I remember correctly you are in Dublin. My mother went through the process of selecting and purchasing a coffee machine about 18 months ago. She rapidly dismissed the capsule machines such as Nespresso both because of the ongoing tie-in for refills plus the fact that she would be limited in the coffee she could use. After a couple of trips around town she eventually settled on a De-Longhi from Arnotts but then her budget was €200-250 and yours may be different. The De-Longhi makes a cracking espresso and the crema is just right in my view. You presumably realise that Brown Thomas's have a Nespresso franchise but TBH I've never liked their cookshop since they changed it into just a collection of brand franchise outlets rather than a good all-purpose kitchen department. My only other thought is to speak to the people in Little Italy (the principal Italian deli wholesalers in Dublin); they might have some tips.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

hey i am indeed, a fellow boardsy too ;)

it is gonna be nespresso i think i wont use anything that takes me longer than 2 minutes, plus we are doing a small wedding list in BT and this is my input as to whats going on it LOL :)

I've had a Nespresso that did both an frankly it all got a bit a messy and milk frother eventually stopped frothing!

For the last couple of years I have had a Nespresso Cube and a separate Aeroccino which doesn't create authentic foamed milk from steam - but does make a lovely (and consistent) frothy milk for cappuccinos and lattes.

Nespresso frequently do a cash back deal - I got the Cube and Aeroccino for circa £120...........

I agree with Warr3n, go for a cheap machine (think I have the cheapest one they were doing around 4 years ago and still going strong) and then get the Aeroccino as an extra. It warms and froths the milk using a heating element and a small whisk attatchment in the bottom and you can also just warm the milk using a stirring attachment. It does a remarkably good job imo and the Nespresso coffee itself is really nice.

Hi Niall

I've got a De Longhi Nespresso machine -it's the one with the milk frother device, the Lattissima. It can be a pain to clean, although the milk container can be removed and kept in the fridge. The results are worth the effort, though.

There's a good range of coffee available, and their service is very good. The coffees are excellent, and it makes very good latte and capuccino. I'm quite happy to recommend it.

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

What kind of men are you?

Just throw a handfull of coffee in a pot and boil it for 3 or 4 minutes and pour.

If a few grinds get in your teeth, just think of it as a little extra roughage...

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    What kind of men are you?

Just throw a handfull of coffee in a pot and boil it for 3 or 4 minutes and pour.

If a few grinds get in your teeth, just think of it as a little extra roughage...

Philistine!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    Hi Niall

I've got a De Longhi Nespresso machine -it's the one with the milk frother device, the Lattissima. It can be a pain to clean, although the milk container can be removed and kept in the fridge. The results are worth the effort, though.

There's a good range of coffee available, and their service is very good. The coffees are excellent, and it makes very good latte and capuccino. I'm quite happy to recommend it.

Regards

Ian
    thanks ian :)

Philistine!
    You're obviously not Turkish then.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

Don't sell your soul for convenience.

What you want is a stove top percolator/espresso maker. It's the mechanical watch of the coffee-making world - much more satisfying to own & use than these electric gizmos. :thumbright:

...and get a coffee grinder while you're at it (get an electric one of these though). Nothing tastes even remotely as good as freshly ground coffee. :)

Dave

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Panofsky
    Don't sell your soul for convenience.

What you want is a stove top percolator/espresso maker. It's the mechanical watch of the coffee-making world - much more satisfying to own & use than these electric gizmos. :thumbright:

...and get a coffee grinder while you're at it (get an electric one of these though). Nothing tastes even remotely as good as freshly ground coffee. :)

Dave
    Exactly right. No need to spend more than £20 on a stove top device.

Pete

Craftsman

Well I do prefer this machine to the stove top type unit.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230855905/Prod ... urce=14798

I have tried a lot of different espressomachines, and imho you have to spend the money involved (and that is a amount that would buy you a new watch) if you want to do it right. The cheap models are fine, but they do not make a realy great espresso - and without that you can not make good lattes - or other fancy drinks. I'm not for the nespresso thing - yes, it is quick, but so is instant coffee... If you want a good cup without spending too much - go for the traditional italian model to put on a stove - but get it in stainless steel. Aluminiums is not nice in the long run. And no it does not look fancy like your Nespresso - but it makes good coffee - and that's what you want - right?

Craftsman

We have a Philips Senseo machine for a nice coffee, for a great coffee we have a Gaggia espresso machine and grind beans in a Gaggia Burr grinder, so much more satisfaction in taste.

Master

[quote=Carlton-Browne]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Backward point":2bh9olfv
    Philistine!
    You're obviously not Turkish then.[/quote:2bh9olfv]

That's what I thought.

It's enjoyable to do that from time to time.

I like using a french press.

Br,

AP.

We have a Philips Senseo machine for a nice coffee
    I picked up a senseo latte select from costco this week. uses the same coffee pods but has the bonus of steamed and frothed milk.

I'm quite impressed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir
    looking into getting a nespresso machine, im more of a cappuccino and latte drinker than espresso so id want one with the mily attachement, however worktop space is at a premium and i dont want the most expensive all singing all dancing model
    All nespresso machines have the same pump so make the same quality coffee. What you pay for is the form factor and extras. So the very basic models you have to hold the button while they pump, but all the rest you just press the button and it pumps the right amount of water through.

If you want to keep the space down you could go for a fairly basic model and an aerocicno milk frother. The new citiz range has one of these on the same stand.

Nespresso is a bit different from your average capsule machine - much better IMO. And although people complain about the cost (about 25p a capsule) - compared to a coffee shop it's cheap cheap cheap. And if you don't drink a huge amount you'd be throwing away coffee or it wouldn't be as fresh as the sealed stuff from nespresso (especially if you want to keep the choice around)

Best wishes
    James

Master

Love my Nesspresso machine, and our treat is one or two cups a day. Had it about 18 months and very very pleased.

Master

cheers for all the input folks

ill do a little more research, all those that have them seem happy with them tho :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bloke
    I agree with Warr3n, go for a cheap machine (think I have the cheapest one they were doing around 4 years ago and still going strong) and then get the Aeroccino as an extra. It warms and froths the milk using a heating element and a small whisk attatchment in the bottom and you can also just warm the milk using a stirring attachment. It does a remarkably good job imo and the Nespresso coffee itself is really nice.
    This sounds like the best option to me too.

I have had Nespresso for quite a while now and can't speak highly enough of it. I only generally drink coffee at home at the weekend so it's the best option for me. I have a chrome Magimix M200 with frother, which is great but I don't find the milk hot enough really, hence I may well get an Aeroccino too.

Cheers,

Guy :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    ...I have a chrome Magimix M200 with frother, which is great but I don't find the milk hot enough really, hence I may well get an Aeroccino too.
    Cheers,
    Guy :)
    I've been following this thread with interest and have investigated the possibility of getting just an Aeroccino - but one of the comments I've seen a lot of is that it doesn't get the milk very hot...
    It's not that easy to find anywhere selling them on their own - except EvilBay.

I've just bought a Krups Dolce gusto machine and it's great,up and on its toes with a coffee in my hand in about a minute from cold,it does nice Espresso with a decent crema and also turns turns out fabulous hot chocolates in the evenings,i also have the full range of capsules on the shelf inc latte machiato,cappucino's etc,all which taste as good as anything you will buy in a hight st coffee shop.
    Previously i had a Delonghi espresso maker with milk frother and also a seperate bean grinder,which is all very good when you can be bothered,i used this for about 2 years daily and its sitting there in reserve.
    I reckon there is a lot of coffee snobbery around,try before you buy with a demo where possible and avoid instant coffee.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69
    I've just bought a Krups Dolce gusto machine...
    Which model did you buy - and how do you heat/froth your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    I've been following this thread with interest and have investigated the possibility of getting just an Aeroccino - but one of the comments I've seen a lot of is that it doesn't get the milk very hot...
    It's not that easy to find anywhere selling them on their own - except EvilBay.
    Hot enough

You can buy them from the nespresso club at nespresso.com - you don't need a machine to join the club (joining is free). So no problem there!

I can also recommend the amaretto biscuits ;-)

Best wishes
    James

Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad
    Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69
    I've just bought a Krups Dolce gusto machine...
    Which model did you buy - and how do you heat/froth your milk?
    Its a red one :lol: ,sorry don't remember the name,the pods are pressurised and the contents are blown through the bottom of the pod by the looks of it,you get a very frothy latte or cappucino,depending on the coffee type you want,dictates whether you use one coffee pod and one milk pod.

I get the convinience thing - but one thing should be kept in mind. Coffee looses around half its flavor within the first 8 days after the beans are roasted. So what you get in a pod or a capsule will never be anything else than "too old" coffee. If you are ok with that go with the nespresso. I have never heard anything bad about the function of the machine either.

Master

We've got a Magimix Nespresso we bought for about £130 from John Lewis, it was a best buy in Which.

It's done sterling service for two years now.

I know purists don't like them but I find the coffee delicious (not really being a connoisseur, but my why wife who is more fussy likes it too).

The pods may be pricey, but the luxury of being able to switch it on in the morning while still half asleep and have a steaming hot espresso in your hand a minute later is worth every penny IMO.

All in all, if you're not an espresso geek, often in a rush, (and maybe a bit lazy - just like me then :lol: ), highly recommended.

We've got the basic Krups one (nespresso sell it on their website just now for £119). Our machine is a couple of years old and we had to source a replacement water jug for it and now need to get another jug too, because this one is cracked and leaks too. Maybe we're just clumsy but I don't think the jugs are very robust.

Great coffee tho at £0.27 per cup.

Grand Master

Nespresso Magimix is our current model after the first standard Nespresso machine broke.

Personal coffee consumption bill £62 a month!! I need to cut down but they are just too nice
    RIAC

I have the earlier version of this :D

http://www.ascaso.com/2010/cafe/eng/steel.html
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer
    Coffee looses around half its flavor within the first 8 days after the beans are roasted. So what you get in a pod or a capsule will never be anything else than "too old" coffee. If you are ok with that go with the nespresso.
    That's true. But at least nespresso capsules are hermetically sealed quickly after roasting so unless you roast your own....

Master

I think the Nespresso machines give the perfect blend between flavour and convenience. I've been through the whole "buy beans, grind them, fill the espresso machine with water, leave it 5 minutes to warm up, fill the brew head with coffee, brew it, clean up" approach to coffee making, and whilst the end result is nice, there's a lot of faffing about, and also a lot of mess at the end of it.

I got a Gaggia Nespresso machine a few years ago (£149 instead of £699 on a John Lewis internet mis-price!), and love it. I fill the reservoir with water once a week, it has a carousel with 4 different pod flavours in, and it heats up, warms the cups, and self-cleans at the press of a button. Consequently, I get great coffee in a minute or two. It even puts the used pods in an internal bin for weekly emptying! It does all the milk frothing etc, too, but I only use that occasionally (if Mrs Tredders asks nicely!). 27p a cup seems pricey for "home" coffee, but when I think of all the bags of coffee beans I've bought over the years, and have gone stale, it probably works out the same price for me.

Oh, it's this model http://www.kitchendresser.net/gaggia...mat-2227-p.asp

Granted, this is one of the top of the range machines, but we used to have a cheaper entry level one at work, and it still made great coffee at the press of a button - it just didn't have the bells and whistles.

Mark.

I can't say enough good things about our magimix nespresso machine. We went for one that you can manually control so that you have the option of differing strength when making different drinks.

We only use the strongest black pod and the decaf one as we're not interested in weak coffee but there is enough choice to keep you entertained. I personally think it makes a better coffee than 95% of the coffee shops that serve coffee in this country. If you were in France or Italy it would be a different story as even the grottiest little coffee shop seems to make great espresso!!

And if its good enough for Blummenthal to serve it at the Fat Duck it'll do for me at home :D :D

Master

Not seen a Nespresso offer on for some time though - they used to have some nice cashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    If I remember correctly you are in Dublin. My mother went through the process of selecting and purchasing a coffee machine about 18 months ago. She rapidly dismissed the capsule machines such as Nespresso both because of the ongoing tie-in for refills plus the fact that she would be limited in the coffee she could use. After a couple of trips around town she eventually settled on a De-Longhi from Arnotts but then her budget was €200-250 and yours may be different. The De-Longhi makes a cracking espresso and the crema is just right in my view. You presumably realise that Brown Thomas's have a Nespresso franchise but TBH I've never liked their cookshop since they changed it into just a collection of brand franchise outlets rather than a good all-purpose kitchen department. My only other thought is to speak to the people in Little Italy (the principal Italian deli wholesalers in Dublin); they might have some tips.
    This was my thinking too before buying a machine - opted for a Krups one where we could use any coffee instead of the 'limited' choices from Nespresso. Now I find I only buy one of the 5 or 6 types of ground coffee in the supermarket rather than the dozens you can get from Nespresso - I don't have the time or patience to be buying fresh ground coffee from speciality shops. The coffee from the Nespresso machine is marvellous too, better than I can manage from my packet of coffee that has been open a few weeks. The only advantage of the one we got is that - per cup - it probably is a good bit cheaper.

BG

Master

Inspired by all this coffee talk - I mostly default to strong tea, I dug out my old Cafe Treviso http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Tre...5477892&sr=1-1 which has basically lived at the back of the cupboard...

I followed some of the tips given in the 70+ Amazon reviews and you know what...?

It makes a pretty decent cup of coffee without too much fuss :D
    Hot, very hot, lots of foam (perhaps a tad too much, I had overflowage) and strong flavour!

Leaving it to 'warm up' for 20 mins helps ie switch it on, before you have a shower...
    Leave the steam switched on. Tamp down the coffee. Cold skimmed milk in cold cup etc etc.
    Really no bother, and a really hot coffee too. Quick wipe down & it's ready to go again

I think I'll forget Nespresso and it's ilk, experiment with various coffees and save the watch fund!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabes
    Coffee looses around half its flavor within the first 8 days after the beans are roasted. So what you get in a pod or a capsule will never be anything else than "too old" coffee. If you are ok with that go with the nespresso.
    That's true. But at least nespresso capsules are hermetically sealed quickly after roasting so unless you roast your own....
    I do (sorry I'm a geek, I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jabes
    I do (sorry I'm a geek, I know...)
    no - good on you! I would love to, but no time, and don't drink enough

I will come round your gaff for a cup though!

Only drink one cup a day - but it's damn good :D

Master

Hi Niall

Regards

Ian
    +1

I like my coffee and since being switched to Nespresso a few years ago, now have the Lattissima. I had a cheaper manual one, circa £150, to start and gave it away as a present when I upgraded. The big benefit, for me, is the automatic measure for coffee (2 cup sizes) and hot water. Then I can have an espresso, lungo or long black at the press of a button. When visitors come round I can also do the fancier coffees with milk, again at the press of a button.

The choice of coffees is initially quite bewildering, and I didn't like having to do "mail order" to start with. But now we have a boutique in Selfridges it's much easier AND you can try before you buy.

I now find I don't have a coffee after a meal, preferring to wait 'til I get home - the coffee is much better than in many cafes and restaurants and I am reliably informed (gf used to work for Nespresso) some Michelin-star restaurants serve Nespresso and Heston Blumenthal is a fan. So you can rest assured you're probably getting the best coffee you can get this side of some industrial unit, you just got to pick the machine to meet your taste and budget.

Oh, the earlier Aeroccinos caused no end of problems under warranty, but believe the current model is reliable.

Hope this helps!

Anthony