closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Mobile?

Which Mobile?

I know there's a huge variety of phones amongst you guys so what would you suggest?

I have a Dell Axim PDA, circa 2003 and it's done it's job as an electronic diary but I'd like something a bit more modern.

Requirements.
    Good camera.
    Wi-fi access.
    Bluetooth
    Internet access, a smartphone in other words.

I'm currently on T-Mobile. If we ignore cost for the moment (and that Tag Heur on SC recently which was a tad too expensive for me), which do you think would meet the above needs best?
    No iPhone. My reasons have been stated often enough on here.

Craftsman

Re: Which Mobile?

I've got a HTC Hero with T-Mobile. It's got everything you've asked for, however it can be a little glitchy at times. It'll be better when the Android 2.1 ROM is released. Plus as you're already a T-Mobile customer you might get a good deal.

Theres a very nice Nokia E71 on SC. I've been very impressed with these, beautiful build quality :)

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by TomWazza
    I've got a HTC Hero with T-Mobile. It's got everything you've asked for, however it can be a little glitchy at times. It'll be better when the Android 2.1 ROM is released. Plus as you're already a T-Mobile customer you might get a good deal.
    It is not clear yet when and if there will be updates to Android 2.x for other existing phones.
    http://tinyurl.com/yamvxrv

The E71 judging from reviews seems to have small buttons and I have large thumbs, one reason I swapped mobiles last time.

I have an E71, the keys are close compared to the E61 it replaced but after a week or so I never really noticed. Does everything it needs to do and has a decent camera. The WiFi is spot on and gets a signal no problem in most places better than the E61. Might be worth trying one in a shop. There are some good deals on them at the moment.

Had an E71 then swopped to an iPhone, would never go back the iPhone is just amazing.

I have found Sony Ericsson phones to be reliable and user friendly. My last 3 mobiles have been Sony Ericsson and not one of them has failed, and the battery life always seems to be excellent.

Master

My faithful palm expired just before xmas so started looking at replacements and got thinking about combining my phone and PDA. My criteria were a phone plus a calendar and contact book that would sync with my pc.

Would have liked an Ipone but I'm a pay as you go type user so I wasn't about to sign up to a £30 a month contract or pay £350 for one.

Ended up with a HTC Diamond off fleabay for £120 on orange - quite happy with it, runs on wondoze 6.1, has built in GPS, a camera and all the usual internet/data gubbins. Can be a bit quirky but there are plenty of apps, hacks and tweaks. So far I've got TomTom on it, a GPS cycle calculator and some games.

Craftsman

I have used both phones mentioned, HTC Hero is mine and E71 is my wifes. Both are great but not with out small issues.
    Hero can slow down at a times but theres an app for that - taskiller. Apart from that I don't think I'd want anything else software wise.
    Camera is rubbish though...

e71 - great hardware but damn it Symbian is just plain when compared to Android OS on hero. My wife however could not be happier with the choice.

Ideally I'd want E71 hardware + touchscreen + Android OS. Now that would be one cool phone!

Craftsman

HTC Hero
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    (iPhone) :lol:

Master

I've currently got an E71 the keys are fine after a few days and i've got reasonable sized fingers.
    I keep thinking of getting an Iphone, but I think a lot of it is just riding on the advertising roller coaster that is the apple machine, yes the app store looks good, but I don't use the camera/mp3 player etc etc, all I do is call, text, email and surf the net.
    So the 2 main phones under consideration by me at the moment are the:
    HTC Hero
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    I think it'll be the Blackberry as i've had them in the past and got on really well with them.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

HTCs are very good i hear. I have a friend who is a phone dealer & sells a lot of them.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master

HTC's also used to be good for commison as well, when I used to sell phones.
    But I had one of there early models and was surprised how good it was.

Craftsman

I have a HTC S740 now running win 6.1 great phone not a large screen or touch as some but has a pull out full keyboard and has all you can want on it inc built in GPS and Wifi.
    Use to have a Blackberry Storm 1 and certainly rate this better than a blackberry as always has issues with emails going wrong all the time

Ive got the new Blackberry 9700 and its an excellent phone! Cant fault it ! :)

Master

I have an iPhone that is now coming to the end of its contract and I have been thinking what to go for next. I won't go iPhone, I' m now fed up of the whole iTunes/iPhone universe. It might be a great integrated device but that's just it, form over function (let the flaming begin...)

I' m thinking, too, of going the Nokia way (that N900 looks good, I used to have a N810 before and found if really functional).

So, I' m interested to see what the outcome of this thread will be.
    :)

VA

Personally I fail to understand the fuss, angst and debate(s) over mobile phones. For me I need it to fulfil the following:-

Good battery life
    Strong signal reception/retention
    Makes a ringing noise when people call me

After this the rest is bollocks (IMO of course!).

The best mobile phone since forever remains the Nokia 6310i......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

How about Google's new phone? http://www.google.com/phone

Craftsman

The past year or so, I've been using the Nokia
    5800 touchscreen, it ticks all the right boxes
    for your requirements, on T-Mobile as well.
    The wi-fi, 3.2mp camera, and quality of the
    music player is superb, IMO.... :lol:

The Palm Pre is a nice thing - just had aplay with one today - can be had unlocked via the bay.
    Then you can tell t-mobile you want to go sim only - save yourself a fortune.
    I too am fed up of the iphone thang - i never use itunes - but its hand y for the tinternetweb thing.

Master

spot on about the best phone of all time is indeed the 6310i, my old man has a stockpile of them just incase one goes wrong, but they don't.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by VA
    I have an iPhone that is now coming to the end of its contract and I have been thinking what to go for next. I won't go iPhone, I' m now fed up of the whole iTunes/iPhone universe. It might be a great integrated device but that's just it, form over function (let the flaming begin...)

I' m thinking, too, of going the Nokia way (that N900 looks good, I used to have a N810 before and found if really functional).

VA

Your the 1st person Ive heard of that's gone to another phone after an iPhone.
    I havent seen another phone that gets anywhere near it. I love the customisable weather in any country with one touch of the screen, same with share prices, love the email too, then there's redlaser app, urbanspoon with scope which gives u reviews by physically pointing your phone at a restaurant etc etc.....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maris

VA

I havent seen another phone that gets anywhere near it. I love the customisable weather in any country with one touch of the screen, same with share prices, love the email too, then there's redlaser app, urbanspoon with scope which gives u reviews by physically pointing your phone at a restaurant etc etc.....

Well, I' m sorry but most modern OSs (like Maemo for example) allow you to do this anyway. Even WinMo allows for some customisation.

I like the phone, the interface etc. The email application is not anything better or worse than in any other phone. Compared to Blackberry's, especially the latest models, the iPhone email is ok. The thing that annoys me, and got me over the fence is the fact that I bought a new laptop, installed itunes (which in itself screwed things up), connected my iphone only to be told that the phone is not associated with the current itunes library and I needed to erase all photos, music etc and re-sync my phone with this itunes library. I don't have the time to play around with itunes (which is extremely slow, even on a laptop with 4GB of memory a 2.5GHz processor) and I certainly don't have the time to bend over to what Apple wants me to do with the apps store etc.

I find all the applications, like weather, ipint, ifart etc to have lost their appeal to be honest. I don't need a decibel meter, or a gaiger counter (not really, but you know what I mean)... And augment reality is not something that I want to find myself into, not right now that is, my reality is fine as it.

I consider myself an educated person when it comes to technology (it's my job anyway) and the iPhone has lost its "shine", it became just another phone with another annoying OS. I don't want to initiate a Win vs Mac vs Linux vs WinMo vs Symbian vs Maemo vs you vs me etc etc, we all have different needs, likes and dislikes. I think I just found my dislikes when it comes to the iPhone.

In other words, I have left the Steve Jobs "reality distortion field"!! :lol: :lol:

P.S. Let the flaming commence....

P.S. Even if I wanted to keep the phone, my girlfriend knows that the end of phone's contract is soon, and has already laid claims to it! :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maris

VA

Well, I' m sorry but most modern OSs (like Maemo for example) allow you to do this anyway. Even WinMo allows for some customisation.

I like the phone, the interface etc. The email application is not anything better or worse than in any other phone. Compared to Blackberry's, especially the latest models, the iPhone email is ok. The thing that annoys me, and got me over the fence is the fact that I bought a new laptop, installed itunes (which in itself screwed things up), connected my iphone only to be told that the phone is not associated with the current itunes library and I needed to erase all photos, music etc and re-sync my phone with this itunes library. I don't have the time to play around with itunes (which is extremely slow, even on a laptop with 4GB of memory a 2.5GHz processor) and I certainly don't have the time to bend over to what Apple wants me to do with the apps store etc.

I find all the applications, like weather, ipint, ifart etc to have lost their appeal to be honest. I don't need a decibel meter, or a gaiger counter (not really, but you know what I mean)... And augment reality is not something that I want to find myself into, not right now that is, my reality is fine as it.

I consider myself an educated person when it comes to technology (it's my job anyway) and the iPhone has lost its "shine", it became just another phone with another annoying OS. I don't want to initiate a Win vs Mac vs Linux vs WinMo vs Symbian vs Maemo vs you vs me etc etc, we all have different needs, likes and dislikes. I think I just found my dislikes when it comes to the iPhone.

In other words, I have left the Steve Jobs "reality distortion field"!! :lol: :lol:

P.S. Let the flaming commence....

P.S. Even if I wanted to keep the phone, my girlfriend knows that the end of phone's contract is soon, and has already laid claims to it! :lol:
    Annoying OS ? Not compared to Windows and Symbian, I hated both of those ! As a basic camera phone I found Sony`s to be good.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    How about Google's new phone? http://www.google.com/phone
    Which is actually a HTC

And really needs the next iteration of its OS before it becomes properly functional if the reviews are to be believed.
    When I buy - not Apple - then the reviews will say: 'there are no real weaknesses'. Until then I'll keep searching.

Master

I had a Samsung Omnia (Windows touchscreen) last year and it drove me nuts! Slow, kept hanging, and if I received a call on it whilst listening to music it would not restart the music for about a minute after. It was on Vodafone tho, so I'm not sure how much of that was due to Voda's firmware.

I sold it and bought a Blackberry Curve 9700 from Ebay. Excellent phone, decent camera (considering the pixels) and great email. Bluetooth works perfectly (linked to my Mini and headset first time) as does the GPS, and the keyboard is very good. Slim and light too. Not that impressed with having to pay extra for the Blackberry email though, and it's lack of 3G is telling when browsing the web. I don't use it for music now though. I'd still rate it as the best phone I've had.

I'm due for an upgrade in March (Voda) and am tempted by the Bold 9700 for the 3G - I'm wary about touchscreen phones after my Omnia experience, but would love to know if there's one out there that's as good for typing email as a physical keyboard.

Cheers,

Guy :)

i'm an iphone user and understand the lure of other phones. the novelty has worn off a bit and i do sometimes fancy something different. my gf has a hero and it is a great phone (with the taskill app mentioned above when it slows down). the problem is that the app store adds so much extra functionality, even if its something you only use twice, that the android market place cannot always offer and this stops me from changing. i couldn't possibly recommend one phone, but would certainly recommend staying away from windows mobile :)

Craftsman

I have an iPhone that is now coming to the end of its contract
    I'll have it when youv'e finished with it...... :lol:

Grand Master

Another vote for Blackberry here, but depends what Apple release later today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RIAC

I'm quite fancying the Hero...

Blog Entries

Would definitely recommend the E71, great looking phone and does everything well. One word of caution though, don't drop it as it is a scratch magnet and is a sure fire way to ruin an awesome phone :?

Saying that, am thinking of picking up the BB 9700

Craftsman

E71 is so 2yrs ago :)

9700 is a gem, as is the 3GS...I'm using both, and don't think anything compares, Android probably a close 2nd, but not quite there yet.

Blog Entries

What's the keypad on the 9700 like for typing?

I had a Dell Axim and yes the choices are huge i went for a HTC Tytn II but the important things to look for are.

To keep the change over simple go for a mobile with Windows mobile on
    Try useing touch screen for input before you buy one, If it has a keyboard it makes the phone bigger and heavier i got the HTC and in two years have never used the key pad.

take a look at http://www.expansys.com they have a good selection of mobiles to choose from. my current one is an acer F900 which was really cheap.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~
    What's the keypad on the 9700 like for typing?
    I find it very good - quick and easy. The keys are nicely shaped which seems to make it better. Best off getting one in your hands and having a go though.

Cheers,

Guy :)

Blog Entries

cheers, by all accounts they are still king of the keyboards.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~
    cheers, by all accounts they are still king of the keyboards.
    Yep, typing is first class, probably give the edge to the 9000, due to slightly larger keys, but the 9700 is fine too.

Blog Entries

Granted given the extra size of the 9000. Have to say i think touchscreens seem to have totally passed me by, don't seem to have any desire to go down that route, is it a sign of growing old?!