closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Road (film, book)

The Road (film, book)

Prompted by the 'Book of Eli' thread, has anyone seen or read "The Road"?

I've seen the film, and have just started the book.

Post-apocalypse survival has been a regular theme, what with '28 xxxx later', 'Survivors' and 'Day of the Triffids' on BBC, 'I am Legend' etc. I think 'The Road' possibly has the most realistic / likely depiction of what might happen, though.

I found it a difficult but compelling film to watch, and certainly quite affecting. Definitely not a film for everyone, but worth seeing if you like 'film' as opposed to 'watching films' (if you see what I mean).

Quick summary: as cheerful as Schindler's List without the uplifting bits.

Re: The Road (film, book)

Haven't seen it, but looks to be a stellar cast :P

Master

Haven't seen the film but read the book. I was a little disappointed given the hype and good reviews to be honest.

It reminded me a little of "The Stand" by Stephen King for some reason. Just wish "The Road" had been as long though, as I was just getting in to it when it finished. My main gripe would be that not a lot happens, which I guess emphasises the day to day despair and drudgery of the main characters' journey. This did highlight the encounters with the other characters though, and make these scenes genuinely tense. Ultimately for me, there just wasn't enough flesh on what was otherwise an interesting story.

Excellent film, thoroughly enjoyed it and yes it can be tense at times.

I have read the book, I found it very moving in places. Its the same old thing if it pushes your buttons you will enjoy or be not taken in by the underlying struggle, there are a lot of father/son issues which stirred my emotions

The book is laid out very easy to read, very short paragraphs and easy structure even though the subject matter and tone are very moving and dark.

I have not seen the film but will get it when on dvd

Thomas Reid

I read the book, but don't think I'll be going to the movie.

The language of the book is wonderful; the story is relatively uninteresting. Just like there are anti-heroes, this seemed to me an anti-Jonathan_Livingston_Seagull book.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Read the book, will see the movie at some point but don't expect too much - as is the way of things.

Anything by Cormack McCarthy is fine by me - wonderful ability to paint pictures with words. "All the pretty horses' was the first one for me, hooked since then.

W

Quote Originally Posted by williec
    Read the book, will see the movie at some point but don't expect too much - as is the way of things.

Anything by Cormack McCarthy is fine by me - wonderful ability to paint pictures with words. "All the pretty horses' was the first one for me, hooked since then.

W
    I couldn't agree more - IMHO a wonderful author who will stand the test of time. If you want shock and real violence (set in a Western style ie cowboys) described with 'beautiful prose' then I suggest you read Blood Meridian.

Craftsman

I've seen the movie, bleak is the first word that comes to mind.

It's an excellently made film, superb acting and very atmospheric cinematography. But a bit too bleak for me despite all that I think. Overall I'm glad I saw it though, just.

I saw the film last week but confess to being disapointed. It's well acted very graphic and a great story nicly punctuated by flashbacks to the main characters earlier life but I left the film wanting to know what was the disaster that caused it maybe I missed the killer scene that explained it all

I read the book last year. It is bleak and harrowing but a great read. It's set up so there is no chapters. This had the effect of me picking the book up and eight hours later, finishing it and feeling out of breath! I loved the book and, after i put the book down after finishing it, i had to sit in silence for twenty minutes and think about what i had just experienced.

I'm looking forward to the movie but cannot imagine it will live up to the pictures painted in my head my MaCarthy. I read an article on it and some bits have been removed, like the 'little long pig on a spit' scene, though i cannot say it's something i'd want to see. Had a hard enough job imagining it!

Journeyman

Read the book - and nearly all the others he's written.

I don't think the Road is the best one, and would go with either Blood Meridien (as noted above) or No Country for Old Men.

But ain't none of them about happy endings...