closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 6309-7040 restore - lots of photos

Seiko 6309-7040 restore - lots of photos

I got this old cushion case Seiko 6309-7040 from 1979 a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't in bad shape at all. Couple of dings and scratches in the case and caseback and bezel. It had a crappy plastic crystal with a magnifier in it and the bezel didn't rotate. I got a new domed crystal and gaskets from Pete (crayfish) and set about laying some of the Flying Doctor's love and tenderness on it.

Sorry about the quality of photo. My tripod and lights and light box is still on their way from Singapore. I'm using a plastic piggybank as a tripod !!!!! and you can see my ugly mug in a few shots. Class act huh????

Original condition

Case stripped and buffed to remove scratches and dings. The case was perfect inside. No corrosion at all.

Caseback and case polished

Caseback came out really well

Here's the crystal and gaskets and the original crystal retaining ring

Crystal on and locked down and dial. The dial and hands are perfect. Lume is poor but condition is like new and I'm convinced they are original. I have a Ramon dial to compare it with.

Movement is also like new

Movement in case

Back turned out real nice

Went for the new bezel inser and left the whole case polised. It was originally lightly brushed on the top but I just love it polished. I may brush it at sometime, but for now I love the bling

Another shot. Domed crystals are hard to shoot, especialy in the bathroom!!!!

I'll be doing a comparative review of the 6309 and the vintage Doxa Sharkhunter. They are almost contempories.

OK so there realy wasn't a lot to do on this one, but boy did it turn out great. My photos just don't do it justice.

Pete

Nice work, Pete - those 6309 divers are classics. I'm wearing mine as I type, although it looks like it's been in a fight, compared to yours! Great photos, too! :)

Craftsman
    Oh what a wonderful sight at this point of the morning... It's inspired me to strap one of my 6309-7040's on for today... 8) 8) I'll look forward to reading the Seiko 6309-704x/Doxa Sharkhunter comparison review :D :D

Mike

Grand Master
    I'm mighty impressed. Great work! :D

Ming

Beautifully done ... looks pristine.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Fantastic stuff, Pete.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Craftsman
    Very very good work Pete.
    A joy to see documentation along the way and the result is simply amasing. Hate to repeat myself but hese really are nice watches and the all polished ( read about your handpolishing on S&C ) version is rare and very cool :D
    Thanks

Great work Pete.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    The 6309 should get the best design award among all the Seiko divers. Pity Seiko didn't have the vision of maintaining the design, but instead reduced the pillow case to the present SKX007 and MM300 auto case....what a shame :evil: .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Nice work, Pete - those 6309 divers are classics. I'm wearing mine as I type, although it looks like it's been in a fight, compared to yours! Great photos, too! :)
    Most Seiko divers look like they've been in fights becos their wearers know that they can take the punishment. No one mollycoddles their Seiko divers. I don't believe many Sub/SDs or SMPs would look the same as our watches :lol: .

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bettapugnax
    The 6309 should get the best design award among all the Seiko divers. Pity Seiko didn't have the vision of maintaining the design, but instead reduced the pillow case to the present SKX007 and MM300 auto case....what a shame :evil: .
    I don't like pillow case, and I much prefer the 007 case. :)

The neat thing about the 6109 is that the crystal has an extra retaining ring instead of being press-fitted.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")