closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: FFS - the old couple died in the cold... sickened

FFS - the old couple died in the cold... sickened

How BAD is this in 2010 2 pensioners can die in bed of the bloody cold?
    WTF is gong on in our world where we piss money away left right and centre.
    Made me feel sick to the stomach.
    Its about time some dolite types were marched out into the streets with food parcels and shovels (nearly said spades...)to help out.
    :evil:

Master

Re: FFS - the old couple died in the cold... sickened

its not just bad its f,ing disgusting hardly anyone cares. Nothing new and nothing ever really changes much despite shit spouted by (any) goverment good idea to call round any old neighbours and check they are ok because no one else will.

M8, please dont get me started about the state of this country....aaargh! :x

Master

No doubt in isolation a tragic event :(

I can't help but wonder how the statistics for such events in 2010 compare with, say, the big freeze in 1963. Rather favourably I suspect. I don't know, and TBH can't be bothered to check.

I also wonder what the respondents on this thread have done about problems like this within their own community? Well, for my part, I've done absolutely nothing I'm ashamed to say, and there are a few OAPs on the road in which I live. (Although in retrospect I'm fairly I've seen them all out and about). I suspect though, that for most, this is a "Someone Else's Problem" - someone should do something about it (but not me...).

No disrespect intended, and I do hope I am proved wrong on the latter point.

Grand Master

No one doing pretty much any job really cares about anything or anyone,the only interest they have is getting there pay check every month paid into there bank account{were all the same on that one},certainly anyone in a position looking after peoples well being and health etc etc will say oh that is not true we really care!,money is the driving force in all walks of life and as such things will always remain as it is,yes when the shit hits the fan{as in the case you state} it is highlighted all over the news and in the papers but very very soon and quick!descends back as it was until it happens once again,and for sure it will happen again.
    don't be fooled into thinking the government care either,they only talk the talk to have us all believe they actually care,they care less than most as it rarely affects there comfortable lives.
    this country has and is still going down the pan fast and yet we are supposed to be a wealthy country,hell it must be a dire situation living in a third world country if this is how we carry on!.

Quote Originally Posted by cpys11688
    No one doing pretty much any job really cares about anything or anyone,the only interest they have is getting there pay check every month paid into there bank account{were all the same on that one},certainly anyone in a position looking after peoples well being and health etc etc will say oh that is not true we really care!,money is the driving force in all walks of life and as such things will always remain as it is,yes when the shit hits the fan{as in the case you state} it is highlighted all over the news and in the papers but very very soon and quick!descends back as it was until it happens once again,and for sure it will happen again.
    don't be fooled into thinking the government care either,they only talk the talk to have us all believe they actually care,they care less than most as it rarely affects there comfortable lives.
    this country has and is still going down the pan fast and yet we are supposed to be a wealthy country,hell it must be a dire situation living in a third world country if this is how we carry on!.
    A rather cynical attitude there, please don't tar everyone with the same brush. There are many people in our society that do care.

And in a third world country the unfortunate couple in this case would likely have fared better, as their welfare would have been a concern for all around them; there is no reliance on 'the state' to look after people, the other people do it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

It's always the government's / council's fault, isn't it, rather than a total of any lack of community spirit on the part of the British public? Rather than blaming the government for absolutely everything, it's worth noting that "concerned" neighbours appear to have decided that the best thing to do was to repeatedly call social services rather than do anything quick and practical, such as cook a little extra hot food and pop round with it. The neighbours had spoken to the couple, had been told by them that they were concerned for their own safety, but effectively did nothing other than make a few calls to the local authority, if I have read the reports correctly. In their shoes, I'd possibly feel the need to be a little less vocal about neglect. Of course in an ideal world it would have been better if they'd received prompt help, but society as a whole could and arguably should do a little more. In many countries, this wouldn't have panned out like this.

Edit: It appears that at least one neighbour did take meals round, and some agencies (at least Age Concern) made contact. The neighbour described the male as "weird", intensely private and unwilling to let anyone in or to discuss the situation, beyond stating that he wanted to get his wife admitted to a care home. I suspect that many of the hell in a handcart doom-sayers would be equally vocal in their complaints if the statutory sector agencies contacted had been a little more assertive in dealing with the couple, who it appears may not have been minded to cooperate in any case.

Master

It is disgusting :evil:

On a more positive note we have been getting shopping for the elderly lady we used to live next door to and she comes over every other day from about 11.00am - 8.00pm so that she has some company and a nice hot dinner :)

Took her shopping to Cardiff the other day and bought her a decent warm jacket and some decent boots on sale in Go Outdoors as she only had flat soled boots and was slipping all over the place. For the sake of £60 - £70 in total she feels warmer and more stable when getting about, in the grand scheme of things £60 - £70 is not a lot especially when you consider what we spend on watches :wink:

Bless' she loves the company and seeing the kids every time she comes over.

The complete lack of community spirit within the Uk these days beggars belief :( Why didn't concerned neighbours do more as well as the local council / social services?? The youth of today don't help the situation with their complete lack of respect and / or willingness to grasp that the elderly and less able should not be mocked or be "soft targets" but should be helped and treated with respect (rant over as I'm going off topic)

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    It's always the government's / council's fault, isn't it, rather than a total absence of any lack of community spirit on the part of the British public? Rather than blaming the government for absolutely everything, it's worth noting that "concerned" neighbours appear to have decided that the best thing to do was to repeatedly call social services rather than do anything quick and practical, such as cook a little extra hot food and pop round with it. The neighbours had spoken to the couple, had been told by them that they were concerned for their own safety, but effectively did nothing other than make a few calls to the local authority, if I have read the reports correctly. In their shoes, I'd possibly feel the need to be a little less vocal about neglect. Of course in an ideal world it would have been better if they'd received prompt help, but society as a whole could and arguably should do a little more. In many countries, this wouldn't have panned out like this.
    You beat me to it Mr Badger, I was posting pretty much the same whilst you were.......

Journeyman

I don't want to piss anyone off by stating this, but why are English buildings so poorly isolated and the windows. Man the windows... When I was on holiday in London i noticed that there's only one windows in each window. Seems logic maby but here we always add atleast three windows in each frame and thats far from overkilling. Mayby this is something I cannot understand but by isolating and adding windows one would not freeze to death even if the boiler gave up. But what do I know, I'm not from the UK and I've only been there once, but this really struck me as odd.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubbel
    I don't want to piss anyone off by stating this, but why are English buildings so poorly isolated and the windows. Man the windows... When I was on holiday in London i noticed that there's only one windows in each window. Seems logic maby but here we always add atleast three windows in each frame and thats far from overkilling. Mayby this is something I cannot understand but by isolating and adding windows one would not freeze to death even if the boiler gave up. But what do I know, I'm not from the UK and I've only been there once, but this really struck me as odd.
    Took a moment but I think you mean double glazing.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbel
    Took a moment but I think you mean double glazing.
    Triple Glazing http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/triple-glazing.html

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10
    M8, please dont get me started about the state of this country....aaargh! :x
    I'm with dreamboat, I could rant for days on the state of this country....

When it comes to the cold we just aren't used to the extremes like other countries, places like switzerland have triple glazing, more insulation, under pavement heating etc. If we're going to be getting more periods like this then it might be worth investing in certain things for your home. However an elderly couple dying in the cold in this day and age is still in-excusable regardless.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Yes totally unacceptable & tragic.

Trish checked on a couple of our neighbours other day. No answer at one but fresh footprints leading out of door. Chap is a bit mobile but its bad up here. Our next door neighbour-who we haven't seen in ages - has been in hospital we found out. Her daughter n grandson coming up so we know she's ok.

There are a lot of elderly on our estate. Even if not registered with Social Services, I bet it's not hard to find them just to check all's ok.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    A rather cynical attitude there, please don't tar everyone with the same brush. There are many people in our society that do care.

And in a third world country the unfortunate couple in this case would likely have fared better, as their welfare would have been a concern for all around them; there is no reliance on 'the state' to look after people, the other people do it.

R
    MY opinion mate...and i'm perfectly entitled to have one just as you are too,not cynical but rather more fact than fiction in what i say....I THINK!,and that's my opinion again!.

I agree with those who say community spirit starts at home or in your local neighbourhood. We have a few older folks around us and we have checked in every day, done a bit of shopping etc.

What makes my blood boil is how the gov't can't do it's bit or worse it interferes. Things I've seen in the last few days for example (I've "paraphrased")

Lord Adonis wades in to muck up salt distibution.

Gov't H&S advisor says that you have liability if you clear pavements outside of your house and somebody then has a slip or trip. Injury Lawyers for you rubbing hands in glee.

To dangerous for kids to go to school - much safer to have then running about in snow and ice!

To dangerous for kids to go to school - much safer to have then running about in snow and ice!
    Isn't that the fault of shyster lawyers and no-win-no-fee? Schools are petrified of them.

Master

Not the government's decision, it appears: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... n-ed-balls as usual, damned if they interfere and damned if they don't.

Gov't H&S advisor says that you have liability if you clear pavements outside of your house and somebody then has a slip or trip. Injury Lawyers for you rubbing hands in glee.
    I'm fairly sure that this hasn't been official advice, and whilst I'm sure that there are people unscrupulous enough to try it on, I don't think our courts are sufficiently deranged to take any action against someone acting in good faith.* I'd put this down to the laziness and selfishness of the public and the usual tabloid scare mongering rather than lay the blame at the feet of the government.

* Good faith qualification - on a road that I need to walk down to get to the tube station, some people appear to have used hot water to clear their cars and drives of snow and ice, which has then frozen to an absolutely treacherous surface on the pavement below their drive. That type of activity is stupid and harmful. I don't think any reasonable court would award damages where a genuine attempt has been made to help pedestrians.

You can't help people if they don't want to be helped, and why must there always be someone to blame :?: . Why didn't they turn any heating on, they would receive the heating allowence ?.

R
    MY opinion mate...and i'm perfectly entitled to have one just as you are too,not cynical but rather more fact than fiction in what i say....I THINK!,and that's my opinion again!.
    I know it is your opinion - and of course you are entitled to it - as am I in thinking you are being rather cynical.

There is no fact at all in stating no one cares about anything or anyone, or that they are only interested in getting paid money: that's more fiction than fact - as evidenced by other posters here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master

R
    I know it is your opinion - and of course you are entitled to it - as am I in thinking you are being rather cynical.

There is no fact at all in stating no one cares about anything or anyone, or that they are only interested in getting paid money: that's more fiction than fact - as evidenced by other posters here.

R
    If as you say people or organisations care then why is it now and again we hear of such terrible things happening with children in social services etc etc,that are KNOWN to have suffered abuse,and yet NOTHING is done until it is too late!...FOR THOSE CONCERNED,only to then respond with WORDS to say these sort of things should not be happening in our society,well WAKE up...they are and WILL continue to happen,thats how much the authorities CARE.

If as you say people or organisations care then why is it now and again we hear of such terrible things happening with children in social services etc etc,that are KNOWN to have suffered abuse,and yet NOTHING is done until it is too late!...FOR THOSE CONCERNED,only to then respond with WORDS to say these sort of things should not be happening in our society,well WAKE up...they are and WILL continue to happen,thats how much the authorities CARE.
    Because life isn't perfect. So now and again (as you point out) bad things can and do happen.

R

Master

Sky news are now reporting that they are looking for a 3rd party, might be foul play

Craftsman

R

R
    To be fair there are 60 million people in this country. You're always going to have extremely improbable events happening with such a large population. Plus the news media tends to only report on the most terrible events, which are also the ones that happen most infrequently. Can't really judge organizations based on what you hear about them on the news. With the social services, you don't hear about all the good things they do (that's not news-worthy), just the very rare occasions when they screw up. If you believe the news, everything about this country is screwed up and broken; its a wonder we're alive at all.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by johncoote69
    WTF is gong on in our world where we piss money away left right and centre.
    No, it's well spent. I believe the government has wisely invested £150,000,000 of our tax money overseas to combat local terrorism. :roll: