closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mid size Oyster on men

Mid size Oyster on men

There are a few threads on here about blokes buying their wives mid size Rolex Oysters. I have a mid size Oyster Perpetual Date, which I think is 34mm. I think it's a classic look..silver dial & silver batons. Anyway, am I in a small minority of blokes wearing this size watch? I am beginning to feel like the "only gay in the village".

Is the airking the same size?

Re: Mid size Oyster on men

This is mine:

Air king and date models are 34mm

Rolex midsize are actually 31mm

Don't worry about it. As long as you're happy, the watch is legible and you enjoy wearing it stuff what others think and following the latest fads.

Personally I think there's a bit of compensation going on with the huge watch wearing brigade anyway.

I'd happily wear your watch and I'm 6' 4" and not exactly petite :wink:.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Yes Airkings are 34 mm too.

I would definitely wear a 34mm Rolex if I had one, but I don't unfortunately :(

A mate and I were talking about this only this afternoon. We were agreeing that the large watch has become faintly ridiculous, they were built this way originally to house large movements of the day or to enable diving to extrame pressures/depths.

We reccon at some time soon the fashion will change and we will all be looking for wafer thin or smaller watches.
    For example the JLC silver dialed one on SC.

Only a matter of time....I remember when the watch to die for was a gold Rolex bubbleback...you can't give them away now.
    C.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Don't worry about it. As long as you're happy, the watch is legible and you enjoy wearing it stuff what others think and following the latest fads.

Personally I think there's a bit of compensation going on with the huge watch wearing brigade anyway.
    :lol: My brother said exactly that, he is not WIS at all and just can not understand the attraction of big heavy watches. He made the connection between big fast cars, big flashy watches and you know what :lol: .

My latest acquisition, Rolex Oysterquartz is for me the perfect size and weight for a watch without a bezel or fancy complications.

There is nothing gay about liking nicely proportioned watches, unless of course one assumes that only gays are allowed to have good taste :lol: .

Journeyman

No problem if you feel good with it !

Craftsman

I'm wearing one at the moment (although the Date is a 34mm mens watch, not a mid ;) ). It's a classic watch and doesnt wear too small at all IMO - and I'm 6ft and 14st.

I don't think that many of the huge watches around at the moment will stand the test of time. The Rolex already has.

It does make me chuckle when someone says that the 40 odd mm xxxx is too small for them, I assume they aren't bending their elbow when they look at it.

Craftsman

The tide has turned or very nearly turned on massive watches. While I have some big watches I wouldn't spend a lot of money on large ones, classic sizing is wear it's at for special pieces. My big watches all have big movements (6497s or 8s) there is nothing worse than a 47mm watch with a 2824 knocking around in the middle of it. I think a 34mm Rolex is a timeless look. I have a 34mm tag that was my 21st bday present and I still wear it (but I have a beard so no worries on the gay front :D )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

34mm Rolex work just fine for me. I've got an Air King, an Oyster Royal and, when I built my 'perfect watch', it was using a 34mm Rolex case because they just work so nicely on the wrist.

34mm Rolexes are fine.

When I wear one it's nice that I can forget it and not have to worry about clouting it on door jambs. tables etc etc. :lol:

They have that classic look too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Sorry, can't see it working for me, 40mm and over, or I would feel I'd be wearing a Ladies watch. :|

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr
    We were agreeing that the large watch has become faintly ridiculous, they were built this way originally to house large movements of the day or to enable diving to extrame pressures/depths.

what, even pilots watches :shock: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    Sorry, can't see it working for me, 40mm and over, or I would feel I'd be wearing a Ladies watch. :|
    That's your problem then. :lol:

Makes you miss out on a lot of horological goodliness. 8)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C

Not necessarily, plus when the tide turns and big watches are no longer 'in fashion' (as many of the 'purists' seem certain it will), that means plenty of bargains for those of us who are only interested in larger watches. There does seem to be an air of snootyness towards large watches, I am 17st, anything below 40mm looks like it is the wife's.

Whenever I've seen a bloke wearing a date, I've always thought it looks small. I've never thought this when I've seen a bloke wearing an Airking despite it also being 34mm. I think this may be due to the proportions of the date window and cyclops relative to the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by loddrik

Not necessarily, plus when the tide turns and big watches are no longer 'in fashion' (as many of the 'purists' seem certain it will), that means plenty of bargains for those of us who are only interested in larger watches. There does seem to be an air of snootyness towards large watches, I am 17st, anything below 40mm looks like it is the wife's.
    I'm sure one of these would look great on the wife's wrist, or perhaps a unfed 15yr old lad, but it's not a size for a bloke :blackeye:

Master

Another vote in support of 34mm. Mine is probably the most comfortable watch I have and wears very well with a suit. I would probably choose something slightly bigger for casual wear though.

Dave

Grand Master

I'm sure one of these would look great on the wife's wrist, or perhaps a unfed 15yr old lad, but it's not a size for a bloke :blackeye:
    Never mind the quality, feel the width, eh :D

Whenever I see a deliberately huge watch, even on a fat man, I can't help but think of that diamante D&G shit you can buy in Argos.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I guess you are right, at 34mm it would hardly be compensatory at all

I'm not sure if it's snootyness, I've done large watches and whilst they are fine for certain applications, I gradually got annoyed with them when wearing them day to day. Catching them on doorframes/walls etc, not being able to do a shirt cuff up over them, or wear gloves over them, or motorcycle leathers etc. I ended up gravitating back towards more 'classic' sized watches.

Now I probably wouldn't wear one over 40mm wide. My current Seiko is about 38mm wide, which IMO is about right - and I'm a big guy. A mate of mine has a 34mm Rolex Precision and I'd probably wear it, only the bracelet seems about 10mm wide underneath and feels like a ladies bracelet. :)

Craftsman

I have seen this written a few times, hitting large watches on door frames etc. I am broader than most and wear pretty big watches but I can categorically say that I have never, ever hit my watch on a door frame etc. Maybe some people have positional issues with the lining up to pass through a door...

I have seen this written a few times, hitting large watches on door frames etc. I am broader than most and wear pretty big watches but I can categorically say that I have never, ever hit my watch on a door frame etc. Maybe some people have positional issues with the lining up to pass through a door...
    :P I think a trip to Spec Savers might be the order of the day, for some. :D

Nothing snooty about it :wink: just speaking out of horological interest.

Smaller vintage watches will often have fine in house movements like the Omega calibre 5XX's, Rolex calibre 10xx's etc etc and will fit the case.

Modern giant watches will usually contain an ETA or much cheaper movement which will be surrounded by a giant washer with a very long spindly stem to set the time with.

Form doesn't follow function in other words.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I am a fan of the smaller 34 and 36mm oystercases always fit well under a shirt cuff although the main wearers these days for me seem to come in at c.40mm

The trend for bigger watches towards 48mm+ in my view is daft and i have yet to see one that looks good on the wrist, well my wrists are a puney 6.8 inches so anything over 44mm is starting to look too large although i do have a 44mm PAM88 and a Breitling blacksteel which is 45mm but it seems to wear smaller, the 88 is on the large side for me hence why my next pam purchase is going to be a 40mm chrono

my 34mm oysterdate

Grand Master

Modern giant watches will usually contain an ETA or much cheaper movement which will be surrounded by a giant washer with a very long spindly stem to set the time with.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

completely agree a 34mm watch does not look in the least effeminate (and i boxed at middleweight so not a particularly small guy). on the contrary big watches can look silly unless you have a chunky wrist/frame, it serves to make the wearer look smaller (this is why women have got into wearing huge watches).
    i have a 34mm air king from the 50s that is often admired by people i meet (and this in an industry where panerai/subs are the norm).
    incidentally i think a lot of people have come to associate huge watches with teenagers who all wear oversized fossil or whatever. seems the uniform of the 'office junior' types i see around. At 40 years old i prefer something more refined. My speedy pro is the largest I would wear (admittedly I have 6.75" wrists) and even that is starting to feel a little bit large to me.

Journeyman

Who cares, it's a Rolex right?

I wear a 34 mm Rolex over a fullsize [insert brand] anyday... 8)

I can't see any problem with a 34mm Rolex Oyster. I am gravitating towards 38-39mm as the ideal size but I really enjoy the fact that my Oyster Precision can be worn with pretty much anything.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

absolutely love the sword hands on that one. you look to have reasonably thick wrists and yet it suits you perfectly IMO

deleted due to ICT incompetency!

Quote Originally Posted by Panofsky
    Another vote in support of 34mm. Mine is probably the most comfortable watch I have and wears very well with a suit. I would probably choose something slightly bigger for casual wear though.

Dave
    +1 for a sensible comment!

Craftsman

Have had a Rolex Date for maybe 15 years, and has, how shall I say, the patina of daily wear :? I think it works perfectly well on my 'normal' size wrist.
    Sorry about pic quality, no great talent there I'm afraid.

For me dress watches at 36mm is the smallest I wear, mainly because I don't have smaller watches..

Midsize would probably be too small for me, but this may just be a current fashion thing...

I am currently watching one of my my christmas presents, a ''Colombo'' DVD box set, starting in 1970 ,
    Lots of watches, Fab!! lots of bling, GMT's etc...and ...I noticed men used to wear midsize and small watches all the time..

so help me here,mid size is how big(34mm or 36mm)or is 34mm mid and 36 full?just bought the wife this and its 30mm, is this a boys or girls watch(speedking)or is it mini mid size?

I think I have caused your confusion. I described my 34mm as "mid size" when in fact, it isn't. Mid size is what you have...31mm
    (I think!!!!!)
    Dave

Thinking about things I wore my datejust (pictured below) as my only watch for a dozen years. It never felt too small and the only rational reason I changed it was because it was hard to read the time in the dark (there were of course plenty of irrational reasons for buying a new watch, ones perhaps that we all experience...like just fancying a change :D)

I think your Oyster date looks a very well balanced watch and has a classy, subtle look about it. It can be worn, and look good, with suit, jeans, shorts and tee shirt. Something as pure in design as your watch doesn't need to follow "fashion".
    I also believe that to an observer, though not necessarily the wearer, a watch can look too big on the wrist, and a bit silly, but to the same observer a watch viewed on another rarely appears to small?

Coincidently there is another thread running on site extolling the virtues of the PRS53. This of course is another simple design and one that is not dissimilar in size to your watch. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Thinking about things I wore my datejust (pictured below) as my only watch for a dozen years. It never felt too small and the only rational reason I changed it was because it was hard to read the time in the dark (there were of course plenty of irrational reasons for buying a new watch, ones perhaps that we all experience...like just fancying a change :D)

I think your Oyster date looks a very well balanced watch and has a classy, subtle look about it. It can be worn, and look good, with suit, jeans, shorts and tee shirt. Something as pure in design as your watch doesn't need to follow "fashion".
    I also believe that to an observer, though not necessarily the wearer, a watch can look too big on the wrist, and a bit silly, but to the same observer a watch viewed on another rarely appears to small?

Coincidently there is another thread running on site extolling the virtues of the PRS53. This of course is another simple design and one that is not dissimilar in size to your watch. :)
    Thanks for the nice comments.
    Dave

Master

I have a 34mm Roles date and wear it just as much as my larger watches (SD, Milgauss, Monaco, Monza, Speedi Pro etc...)...tehy are lovely pieces which catches the eye.

At the height of the midi-period (mid-'80s) I wore a Tudor Mini-Sub and it was the mutts.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77
    Air king and date models are 34mm

Rolex midsize are actually 31mm
    Correct. To refer to the 34mm as mid-size is confusing, even though it might be considered 'mid-size' by today's standards.

IMO, the 31mm Datejust is too small as a men's watch but is ideal for a lady. The 34mm Air King/Oyster is OK for men; indeed most vintage watches are this size. There is a trend nowadays for women to wear this size, which is fine although I prefer to see smaller watches on women (I`m old-fashioned).

I owned an Air-King for 18months and I loved it, although I have to say I prefer the 36mm Datejust and Explorer 1. In 10 years time maybe folks will say these are too small?

As for the 31mm Datejust, they are extremely hard to find. Saw one for sale recently and it was more expensive than a full-size :shock:

Paul

Grand Master

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Best get rid of my 1960s 34mm Omega Constellation pie-pan......before I get mistaken for a lady or a poof :lol:

Paul